“The most amazing two days of my life!”

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Killarney, Ireland
“The most amazing two days of my life!”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I just had to visit trip advisor and share my experience. I just got married last week and had the most amazing two days of my life thanks to The Muckross Park Hotel in Killarney.

Myself and my husband opted for a civil ceremony and didn't quite know what to expect but we were blown away as were are family and friends. The Hotel was amazing from The Atrium where the ceremony took place to the Dining room and on to our own fabulous private Monks Bar.

The consierge was outstanding from the time we arrived, the night before the wedding. I had hair-dresser's and make-up artists call to the Hotel on the morning of the wedding and there was a special room (just like an actual salon) provided for us to use with all the amenities.

Everything was timed to perfection, the drinks reception was amazing and there were Christmas trees everywhere, just like I had requested and a hug open fire making everyone cosy. Then into the meal which was outstanding, everything was cooked to perfection and piping hot. No shortage of food everyone was offered second helpings and everyone (including the non wine drinkers) was offered drinks and top ups. Every plate went back to the kitchen clean! The staff were brilliant and couldn't do enough for us. We had our reception that night in the Monks Bar which was just perfect for our party of 35. There was more food that night and wedding cake and again there was loads of food brought out. At breakfast the next morning they again couldn't do enough for us and there was loads of food, everything was so tasty and the staff were so helpful and so good with the kids.

Niall our wedding co-ordinator was checking with us throughout the day if we were happy and couldn't do enough. I had brought out specific table decorations and pictures to be used throughout the hotel and I had downloaded specific songs to my i-pod which I wanted played during the ceremony, this was done to a tee. Everything was gathered together and waiting for us at the front office when we were ready to check out (pictures, cake, cake topper, i-pod) and we were not put under any pressure to settle our bill, we approached the hotel to settle up (I liked this as some hotel can be on your heels looking for their money).

Our bridal suite was amazing, stunning can't say enough about it. Ted the consierge moved all my stuff the morning of the wedding (while I was getting pampered) from the room I had the night before to my new bridal suite. My sister had two small children staying for the wedding and Ted left little presents in the room for them on their beds, something small but it was so nice and they were delighted. We were given two rooms for the parents of the groom and parents of the bride and we got our bridal suite for two nights. I just didn't want to leave the whole experience was so amazing.

Both families are already planning to go back there next Christmas for a reunion/anniversary. We got some really stunning pictures, the setting out there is just fab. I couldn't recommend it enough to anyone planning a wedding or simply a romantic escape.

Also if you take a trip there, visit the spa - amazing...
Linda Mernagh

Room Tip: All the rooms there were stunning but particularly the suite's
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Floral Park, New York
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here for a mid week getaway with my husband for one night while visiting family in Ireland and it was great - the staff was friendly and helpful in all the right ways. We even were upgraded to a suite, which really made the trip. Took advantage of the spa, the restaurant and the complimentary nature walk through Killarney National Park (just across the street). Really felt like we were taken care of here and plan to return on my next visit!

Room Tip: Suites have a terrace with outside seating, huge bathroom, dining and living room. great for a fami...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed 2 nights B&B in the room 137. Very clean and comfortable. Very quiet hotel as it was during the week, not over crowded. Staff very helpful and willing to make sure you enjoy your stay. Unfortunately, the yew tree restaurant and the Monk's Lounge were close, a bit disapointing as I love fine dinners. So I had to go to the Molly's pub. The food there was beautiful, but still pub food. The spa is wonderful and the staff extremely efficient. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and will go again as soon as an opportunity will rise.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel is in a fantastic location, right in Killarney National Park and by the gates of the Muckross estate.

On arrival we were welcomed by an extremely helpful and cheerful receptionist and concierge, complimentary hot towels, mince pies and mulled wine. The reception area and lounge are decorated beautifully but unfortunately the room did not live up to the same standard.

The room was small with a very dated bathroom suite. We stayed for two nights and on 3-4 occasions the shower was cold, even when put to the very hottest setting. The bath did not drain the water quick enough and so a pool was created under your feet as you showered. It was also disappointing to find that the information book provided was not up to date and scribbled on. For example, the names of restaurants have clearly changed since the books were first printed which was a little confusing.

Also, we stayed in room 101. This room is situated right next to the entrance of the venue where Christmas parties are held. It was unfortunate that we were woken at 3:00am-4:30am due to excessive noise and shouting right outside of our door as the guests were retiring to their rooms after the party. It didn't seem as if staff were making a big enough effort to move them on. I would suggest that other guests should be given rooms much further away from the venue and party goers should be offered the rooms next to the venue. This should not have been a problem as we booked well in advance of our stay.

With this said, I cannot say enough about the helpfulness and friendliness of staff. House keeping and restaurant staff included. They really were willing to make sure that you had the best possible stay.

We had dinner in the Yew Tree restaurant which was lovely and our waiter was fantastic. Breakfast was good, however I would have expected to have the full Irish served to you as it is a 5* hotel and didn't seem right to have to queue for it.

Overall we were very happy with out stay but the hotel is old and needs to be updated to live up to its 5* rating. Definitely 5* staff and service but unfortunately 3* rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms on 2nd floor and up would be quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I would just like to thank the management and team for a great night in a fab hotel. The decor, the room, the service, the food and the lovely Christmas athmosphere made our night here really special. It was a real treat to stay here and I would highly recommend it. Special thank you to Ted for the tea and helping me with my bags to my car. Much appreciated!

• Stayed December 2013
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 6 December 2013

For the last 20 yrs a group of friends head out for our annual Xmas get together. Sometimes we revisit old venues or seek out new venues.This year was to be a new venue & choose the Muckross Park Hotel.
When arranging the night out I approached the hotels reception & explained what I required.I got a excellent response, asked to sit down, offered a cup of coffee while they arranged for somebody to discuss it with me.That somebody turned out to be Andreas in whom i had previous dealings with in another hotel that we had visited in the past.
Andreas went to great efforts in planning the night such as options as to where were to dine,where we were to have our mulled wine reception,our wine options, & where we could retire to after our dinner.
As with past dealings Andreas arranged for me to call for wine tasting for the dinner & displays a great knowledge of wines.He always comes up with interesting suggestions & this time was no different.
The night itself turned out to be a great success.The mulled wine reception was set up as arranged which everybody enjoyed.At the last minute our numbers grew by one extra. A quiet whisper into Andreas ear,problem sorted.
The dining area was lovely Xmas crackers & all. The service & meal could only be described superb. Before the meal started the waiter described the four wines selected to the group which was a lovely touch & surprised us with a extra course during the meal. Presentation of the various courses was 1st class all being returned as empty plates.
There was only one small negative in that the piano in the dining room remained silent as i had been told that they would have it up & running on the night.
My thanks to the staff that I had the pleasure in dealing with At the Muckross park hotel for a brilliant night enjoyed by all with a special thank you to Andreas for the attention & detail he went to in making the night such a success.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My partner and I stayed for 2 nights midweek. We found the hotel itself exceptional and the staff were superb. We took full use of the spa and enjoyed its facilities greatly. Our meal in the hotel restaurant was easily one of the nicest meals we have ever had, the fillet of beef was outstanding. We will without doubt be back again. An amazing few days in an amazing hotel.

• Stayed December 2013