“Rude staff”

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed last weekend when we arrived all seemed ok but I could hear a motor noise coming from outside our window so we said this at reception to be told it is only the fan from the kitchen and will shut down at 9.30. The fans did not shut down so was awake all night over this next morning I complained and ask could we be moved room only to be cut off in my tracks by a very rude employee on the main desk who took my number but said they were full that night and not much he could do but would check. I did get moved to another room but I do feel when I had said it frist they should have moved us then and I have really stayed in nicer 3 & 4 star hotels where staff were more alert to the customers need. We won't be heading back again

• Stayed: January 2014
SeanODriscoll, General Manager at Muckross Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Past Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of trip advisor. I have investigated the matter you referred to in your review and spoke to the staff member that was dealing with you.

They sincerely regret if they came across as being in anyway rude. This individual is someone who takes great pride in the service they provide to guests and indeed is someone I regularly receive complimentary feedback about, as someone who goes the extra mile for our guests. The staff member did apologise and advise that the hotel was full, but did take your phone number and told you that they would call you back once a solution was found. They did manage to organise an alternative room and called you back as soon as this was done.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay and also assure you the individual involved did not mean to come across in anyway rude. Consistently, guest feedback highlights our staff friendliness as the best thing about staying at Muckross. Our staff have a genuine care for our guests and that is why I assure you that we would take your feedback very seriously and investigate the matter thoroughly.

Kind Regards,

Sean O'Driscoll

Write a ReviewReviews (1,609)

Reviewed 26 January 2014

stayed for a night in january 2014 hotel & spa were just beautiful but the staff there are the real bonus - so friendly, cheerful and helpful - all the time, Ate in Molly Darcys bar twice for lunch and once in the evening and would highly recommend it. It was a really lovely break and would recommend it to anyone as a real treat

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We got married in June 13 in this hotel and I couldn't of been happier with how everything was handled.
The staff especially Daniel helped in really making it the best weekend of my life.
Every time we visited pre wedding we were treated like royalty!
All the rooms and suites are finished to a high standard. Our suite for the duration was amazing and the wine and chocolate strawberry's was a lovely touch.
The outdoor area for pre drinks ans canapés was perfect, it was like stepping from Killarney into a scene from somewhere in Tuscany with the lights and garden furniture.
The reception was perfect, great food and generous amounts of it too(not to mention a lot of wine), the staff were attentive without being intrusive. (the valentia suite is amazing)
We had a great night followed by a great afters being able to choose between the monks bar for smaller weddings and molly darcy's for larger was extremely helpful.
The following morning(the breakfasts are amazing too, pancakes and eggs Benedict my fav's) it was lovely to be able to relax in the cloisters spa which has to be one of the best in the country. They have a perfect balance between being a top luxury spa but still maintaining the smaller intimate feel. (the outdoor hot tub was my personal fav that day, I could relax and let an hour or so go by watching the calming influence of the river)
We used the monks bar for a BBQ for friends and family the following day it was equally as good as molly Darcy's for the afters.
What was great was we always felt like we had to whole hotel to ourselves!

I suppose the largest compliment you can pay a hotel, especially a luxury hotel! on my wedding weekend and every time we visited is that I and my wife, felt at home!!
This is down to the warm and caring attitude shown by the staff, right from the management to cleaning staff.
I want to say a special thank you to Daniel our wedding co-ordinator and a manager in the hotel.
Right from when he took over (from the girl leaving on maternity leave, which I'm glad he did) he did everything he could to accommodate me, my wife and both sides of the family who can be hard to handle. Everything that was thrown at him was dealt with in a professional, assured and calm manner, which is why when it came to the day I had every confidence in him, and I was able to relax 100% and focus on my wedding day(this is something that's priceless IMO).
He is an asset to the hotel and one of the reasons I think this place trumps everywhere else in Kilarney.

To summarise if you are looking for a wedding venue in Killarney look no further(even if it seems a tad pricey initially in comparison it's worth it due to the value for money you get! also nearly no sundries costs to worry about).
If you are looking for a hotel for a holiday stay, stop looking and just book it, you won't be let down. (we've visited in pretty much all seasons and no matter what the weathers like this place still shines)

Room Tip: Try getting a room at the back of the hotel near the river and spa. You'll be away from the road...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claude R
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Myself and my friend had a very enjoyable 2 night stay 2 weeks before Christmas. It was out first time staying there and we were very impressed! Our room was very comfortable and the staff were very welcoming and friendly. We ate in Molly Darcys bar and the food was really lovely. Our plates were cleared! We also enjoyed the facilities in the Cloisters spa including the most relaxing mud body wrap. Felt great after it! Thanks so much!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Myself and my wife stayed on new years eve to attend a wedding at the hotel,
Upon arrival the reception made us feel so welcome and a concierge showed us to our room with wine and chocolates waiting for us,
The room was perfect and had everything you could need,
The food and service was top notch,
But what stands out is the attention to detail in every part of the hotel,
We have often stayed in hotels were like I've said had everything right but little things like dirt on a wall or a broken tap or a bad smell would let it down but not in the muckross park
A real 5 star experience :-)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stunning hotel to stay in. We were shown to our room by concierge which had a bottle of wine and a few chocolates waiting for us. The room was extremely spacious and had everything we needed. We even had a balcony over looking the gardens and river. We ate in molly darcy's bar which was very tasty indeed. I would recommended there burger mmmmm.
We went for a walk in the morning in around Muckross House which is just straight across the road from hotel.
Breakfast in the hotel was a buffet and had a very good variety.
The front desk staff were a pleasure to deal with even when there was a mistake in our bill in the morning the fix the problem straight away no questions ask.
When we were leaving the hotel we were given a bottle of water each for our journey which we though was a nice touch from the hotel.

Room Tip: It is worth to pay the few euro extra for junior suites with bottle of wine and breakfast included...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The location and ambience of this hotel is ideal for a quiet and relaxing stay. Located in the Kilarney National Park, the beautifull drives, walks and scenary on the door step compete for your time with the relaxing Cloisters Spa. The bedrooms are completed with high standard amenities and top quality period style furniture. The spa is exceptional. All staff are helpfull and very pleasant. The hotel bar is not to everyone's tastes. It is a rather large and barnlike take on a traditional Irish pub.

The food was the lower point of the stay for me. While the bar food was of reasonable quality and plentyfull, there wasn't great variety. The hotel dining room also had a limited and I felt over stylised menu. No lamb on either menu! Must the main courses be served on slates rather than plates? Given its location some distance outside Kilarney town, with its variety of bars and restraunts, better more varied menus would be a real addition to this hotel.

Overall I really enjoyed the stay, but very much more for the location and the quality of the hotel accommodation and fabulous spa than for the food. Overall the stay was very good value for money

Room Tip: East or south side rooms have better views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple