“My Birthday ”

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I would like to thank all the staff in The Muckross Park Hotel for making my birthday so special. First of all when we arrived to be told we were upgraded to a suite .And then when we were shown our suite they were wine and chocolates waiting for us also.I have never stayed in any other hotel that the staff are so friendly and helpful there main concern is that everything is going well for you and anything they can do to make it more enjoyable they will . We were having breakfast one morning and a Manageress asked us were we not cold and would we like to move to another part of the room . I told her thanks very much for asking but we were fine.I can't wait to return to this hotel and I hope it will be soon.Thank you Patricia Waterford.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Just back from a beautiful two night stay at muckross, we initially got our deal off groupon, so I was a little bit worried the service might not be as great as we had a voucher stay. I couldn't have been more incorrect! The minute we got inside the 5star service was evident with the welcoming smiles and amazing manner, our bags we're taken off us immediately and we were offered hot lemon scented roles to freshen up! Shown to our beautiful well kept room. Comfortable bed and a greatselection of TV channels, the bf and myself were delighted to see sky sports! Can't rave about the spa area enough, the pool, hot tubs , saunas etc. didn't try the restaurant was quite happy to eat next door in Molly darcys, reasonable priced menu and delicious food and also a bit of craic. Also avail of the free bike hire it's great fun. All in all was impressed, the staff couldn't have been nicer or any more helpful they're a credit to their managers.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Kelly_marie222
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Myself and my partner stayed in this hotel for two nights at the end of February and we came up with a number of issues from the start. Initially, we had a nice welcome, as we were offered warm face cloths to freshen up, juice and home made cookies, so I thought that it was a great start for the break we were so looking forward to. The problems started when we got to the room...as it was not just dirty...but what I would consider filthy and not what I would expect in a two star hotel, let alone that of a 5 star establishment. There was hair in the shower, the floor wasn't hovered, the lockers etc were not polished (there were dirty cup rings) and there was actually a smell of dirt in the room! Turns out it was coming from the netting around the four poster bed. My finger picked up a lot of dust from the rim around the bed and when I went to contact reception, the phone which we were told to use if we had any problems, didn't even work! I went down to reception with my concerns and asked to be moved to another room because of the lack of cleanliness. To be fair the receptionist was very apologetic and called the Manger straight away. When the manager came, he also apologised and said that he would bump us up to a suite, which myself and my partner were very grateful for. This room was lovely and we even had a Jacuzzi in the room. However, many feature lights in the bathroom were not working. The breakfast in the hotel was lovely, but the room itself was dull and dreary and I couldn't wait to get out of there once I had eaten. Part of our package meant that we had dinner on the second night of our stay. Dinner was a big big disappointment also. I ordered steak medium rare and my partner ordered chops. My steak came out rare and not medium rare, so I had to send it back. We asked for my partners food to be kept warm, so I wouldn't have to watch him eat and I wouldn't have to eat on my own. To be fair the waiter said that the chef would do complete new dishes for us, which we appreciated, even though it meant us being delayed for about an hour. When the second steak came out, it was only marginally better. I didn't say anything as I realised that the chef really couldn't cook steak! When it came to paying our bill, the waiter was charging us for our bottle of wine, and 5 euro as a supplementary charge for the steak. When I questioned this, (due to the problem I had with my steak) the waiter apologised and said that he would not charge us the 5 euro and he would also not charge us for the bottle of wine, which once again we appreciated. On our stay however, I did have the pleasure of getting an amazing massage, in the spa which was very relaxing and a real treat. I found the massage was well worth the money and it was a lovely experience. Overall however, I found the stay disappointing for a 5 star hotel. However, when I did complain, my complaints were dealt with professional and effectively and to my satisfaction. I would not recommend this hotel however, to anyone who may not be assertive in seeking the treatment that they are paying for.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Having being going to Killarney for many years on business this was the first time to stay in this hotel and what a delightful surprise. It was the best hotel we have stayed in Killarney. From the accommodation to the setting it was excellent . The staff could not have been more friendly and very helpful from Shane and Regina in reception Breda in accommodation and Andrias in the dining room made our stay one of the best we have had in Killarney. The food in both the restaurant and bar was excellant. In short no faults for this hotel and we will certainly be returning.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Having wrote loads of reviews on hotels in more exotic locations than Killarney how surprising this hotel was.
Its not the best hotel to find if you use A Garmin sat nav as the program is not for this hotel as we twice were directed to the wrong hotel.
But once we found it we were in for a very nice time. The checkin was perfect with warm towels too cases taken to your room. Not the ordinary take the elevator on the right your on second floor scenario. When I needed to return to our car for few more things it was hard for the concierge to let me go myself in the rain without a coat but I won that battle.
The room was lovely if a bit dated but clean and fresh with robes slippers etc. As it was my wife's birthday that day we had complimentary wine & chocolates in the room nice touch.
You have access to the Spa which I will post on there site.
We had too book Dinner at checkin but could not get the first time requested so had to settle for later time than we usually have.
The Yew tree restaurant is lovely and food of 5* quality in our minds, shame service not same. We had to make a few requests more than once before before answered just small things but still !!! We did really enjoy the meal all the same and good value as I booked 1 night stay with dinner B&B. Breakfast was good although a bit disjointed probably as we were there for 8am and only opens at 8am on Sundays. One thing we did notice menu for Yew tree on hotel web site is different from in room directory which is different from restaurant on the night. Therefore do not plan your choice ahead.
We would without doubt stay here again hopefully a new buyer / owner can be found for this hotel as I believe NAMA own this hotel at this time ?????.

Room Tip: All room seem perfect
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed in muckross a month ago..nice hotel but not child friendly. .pool only for adults..when I booked it said nothing bout pool being for over 18s...also met wedding organiser was waiting for quite a bit even tho we mentioned it to reception when we booked...emailed him two weeks ago bout a menu and stil heard nothing. ..not good service!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my boyfriend on Paddy's weekend!! Absolutely fantastic service !more of a high end four star rather than a five star but excellent all the same !! We stayed for two nights and the hotel offers fine dinning or alternatively you can eat in their more casual pub / restaurant "Molly Darcey's" we decided to eat their both evenings and it was Fantastic!! Special mention to our server Subra who was superb !! The hotel also offers the use of bicycles which is a nice touch, we were lucky to have a dry St Patricks day and really enjoyed a cycle around the beautiful muckross park! I must say though we were not impressed with breakfast ! We arrived down at 9:45 and were asked along with three other couples to wait outside for a table to become available , this would have been fine except the were empty dirty tables everywhere perhaps they should hire enough staff to accommodate a busy breakfast . Other than this the place is fantastic and we would go back ! Must mention Donnagh and Shane on the desk ! Friendly and professional :)

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple