We stayed for one night and that was enough. Five star?! Not in my opinion! The positives are the staff who were wonderfully friendly, extremely welcoming and couldn't do enough for us. Also, the proximity to Muckross Park, House and Gardens is wonderful - right across the road and an incredible amenity. The hotel itself just screams big, fake castle. This begins in the car park where you are greeted by the tacky castellated facade. The lobby is ok, if a little gaudy, with the entrance to the spa at the end looming like the gates of heaven! The decor is dated and appears to be trying to mimic that of the old Muckross House but just doesn't quite get there. The room was average. Again, the decor very dated, carpets were old and not at all luxurious. Our bed had medieval style drapes above the headboard held back with big gold ornate painted plaster/plastic tie backs, it was just tacky to be honest. The drapes were covered in dust when we moved them so hadn't been cleaned in a while. The bed was comfortable but average. The spa was nice but again, gaudy and tacky and there was an extra charge for using the thermal suite (which included among other facilities, a less than hot steam room). The bar in the hotel was closed but the pub adjoining was open so we went there for lunch. Food was terrible and way overpriced. Service was excellent and again, friendly. It is obviously designed for the unsuspecting tourist and is overkill on the fake, "olde world" styling. Overall, I am just at a loss to understand how this is 5 star, in my opinion the quality just isn't there! I fear for the impression this leaves on our overseas visitors.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Excellence surrounded by beauty - Muckross Park Hotel & Spa is uniquely located in Killarney's majestic National Park with magnificent mountains and lakes close by. The hotel is home to the renowned Spa at Muckross. Elegant, luxurious guestrooms and suites, award winning Yew Tree Restaurant and Monk's Lounge. The hotel has superb guest services and makes for a truly memorable hotel experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Superbreak UK, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TravelUp, HotelsClick, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Muckross Park Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Muckross Park Hotel & Cloisters Killarney
- Muckross Park Hotel And Cloisters Spa