We stayed here for two nights starting November 10th and stayed in room 138
As we do not have access to a car we travelled by train and got a taxi from the town to the hotel, taxi costing €10 which we though very good as we had to take a large car due to having a buggy with us. We checked in with a lovely girl, who offered us a warm beverage but as we were soaked to the bone at this point we just wanted to get to our room! She told us that a porter would be with us to bring us to our room but we declined as we only had one large bag, nevertheless we were not permitted to go on our own (resulting in two guests, one buggy, one luggage carry on case and one large porter all sharing a small lift, and of course the 5 min wait for the porter to actually arrive). Upon meeting us he asked us in an accusatory manner why we hadn't driven and said that usually people had more luggage, both myself and my parter looked at each other in wonder. By the time the porter left our room, we didn't even know what floor we were on or where the breakfast room was.
We had our showers to rid us of the rain water, although spacious, the power wasn't great, which could be something to be improved. Also we noticed that the stickers from the toilet paper were still stuck to the wall from previous guests.
The next day we were awoken at 9am by housekeeping wanting to clean our room, a little early we thought as the hotel were aware that we were traveling with a baby... we had our breakfast which was lovely, accompanied by great service. I had decided to go back up to the room to get my bag whilst my partner walked the grounds with our baby - having then come in the fountain entrance, he got in the little buggy/disabled lift to get up the few steps by the reception area. By the time I came back down he was standing in there with our baby and buggy, surrounded by other guests...the lift was broken and the door would not open again to release them. After waiting 5-10 mins another member of staff attempted to make the lift work, it did not. I suggested that he handed the baby in car seat to me, lifted the wheels over separately and jump over. My parter was handing me the car seat with baby in and the manager quickly took it, without being told, the porter then lifted the wheels, took no notice at all of what he was doing subsequently hitting the car seat with my baby in, luckily narrowly missing our 12 week old little boy. I couldn't even speak after the manager (or who I assume to be manager) simply said "ah it's okay, he just hit off of the seat" so we went off to our room with our now crying baby.
Having decided to go for a walk, we once again faced an issue. Waiting two or three mins in front of the main lift to leave, we didn't hear the lift coming, a man in a suit was plumping up the cushions of the armchairs opposite the lift, we asked him if the lift was broken an he said it was having maintenance done. We were clearly waiting for the lift, I don't know why he didn't tell us this instead of waiting for us to ask. So...we carried the buggy down to the ground floor, and after our walk carried it back up again.
The plus points were that we had been upgraded with a bottle of wine and chocolates, something I see was part of an online offer, I was a little disappointed with the view though I must say, it was the first thing I looked at upon waking up.
The bar man in Molly Darcy's who served us dinner was exceptional, and very friendly, a great asset.
The parting gift of water and mints also (however, after finding our own way the previous day, it was a little disappointing to see that there were maps and a guided walk that was never brought to our attention
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Excellence surrounded by beauty - Muckross Park Hotel & Spa is uniquely located in Killarney's majestic National Park with magnificent mountains and lakes close by. The hotel is home to the renowned Spa at Muckross. Elegant, luxurious guestrooms and suites, award winning Yew Tree Restaurant and Monk's Lounge. The hotel has superb guest services and makes for a truly memorable hotel experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Superbreak UK, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Muckross Park Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Muckross Park Hotel And Cloisters Spa
- Muckross Park Hotel & Cloisters Killarney