“Not what we imagined”

Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
“Not what we imagined”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights starting November 10th and stayed in room 138

As we do not have access to a car we travelled by train and got a taxi from the town to the hotel, taxi costing €10 which we though very good as we had to take a large car due to having a buggy with us. We checked in with a lovely girl, who offered us a warm beverage but as we were soaked to the bone at this point we just wanted to get to our room! She told us that a porter would be with us to bring us to our room but we declined as we only had one large bag, nevertheless we were not permitted to go on our own (resulting in two guests, one buggy, one luggage carry on case and one large porter all sharing a small lift, and of course the 5 min wait for the porter to actually arrive). Upon meeting us he asked us in an accusatory manner why we hadn't driven and said that usually people had more luggage, both myself and my parter looked at each other in wonder. By the time the porter left our room, we didn't even know what floor we were on or where the breakfast room was.

We had our showers to rid us of the rain water, although spacious, the power wasn't great, which could be something to be improved. Also we noticed that the stickers from the toilet paper were still stuck to the wall from previous guests.

The next day we were awoken at 9am by housekeeping wanting to clean our room, a little early we thought as the hotel were aware that we were traveling with a baby... we had our breakfast which was lovely, accompanied by great service. I had decided to go back up to the room to get my bag whilst my partner walked the grounds with our baby - having then come in the fountain entrance, he got in the little buggy/disabled lift to get up the few steps by the reception area. By the time I came back down he was standing in there with our baby and buggy, surrounded by other guests...the lift was broken and the door would not open again to release them. After waiting 5-10 mins another member of staff attempted to make the lift work, it did not. I suggested that he handed the baby in car seat to me, lifted the wheels over separately and jump over. My parter was handing me the car seat with baby in and the manager quickly took it, without being told, the porter then lifted the wheels, took no notice at all of what he was doing subsequently hitting the car seat with my baby in, luckily narrowly missing our 12 week old little boy. I couldn't even speak after the manager (or who I assume to be manager) simply said "ah it's okay, he just hit off of the seat" so we went off to our room with our now crying baby.

Having decided to go for a walk, we once again faced an issue. Waiting two or three mins in front of the main lift to leave, we didn't hear the lift coming, a man in a suit was plumping up the cushions of the armchairs opposite the lift, we asked him if the lift was broken an he said it was having maintenance done. We were clearly waiting for the lift, I don't know why he didn't tell us this instead of waiting for us to ask. So...we carried the buggy down to the ground floor, and after our walk carried it back up again.

The plus points were that we had been upgraded with a bottle of wine and chocolates, something I see was part of an online offer, I was a little disappointed with the view though I must say, it was the first thing I looked at upon waking up.

The bar man in Molly Darcy's who served us dinner was exceptional, and very friendly, a great asset.

The parting gift of water and mints also (however, after finding our own way the previous day, it was a little disappointing to see that there were maps and a guided walk that was never brought to our attention

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Mbutler96

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in the muckross park last weekend and I can honestly say it was a little piece of heaven. From the staff to the room to the food everything was first class.Nothing is too much trouble and in particular I would like to mention Shane for helping to make us feel so special and welcome.I would highly recommend this hotel if you want to experience total luxury and relaxation

Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed in Muckross Park Hotel for the June bank holiday weekend. I must say that the hotel met and surpassed all of our expectations. Firstly the location in Killarney National Park is stunning and we were spoiled for choice for activities during our stay (two days were not enough!). The welcome and the service we received was typical of Killarney, a very warm welcome but Muckross Park Hotel always went that bit extra to make our stay even more special from everybody at reception, the spa, and the restaurant. The hotel itself was nicely decorated and most importantly clean and breakfast on both days was delicious with a good selection of food (hot and cold) to choose from.

Well worth the 1000km round trip! We will most certainly be returning soon! Many thanks to everybody in the hotel for all of their help in making our stay as enjoyable as it was.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed 2 nights in the muckross hotel over the June bank holiday. it was an amazing experience overall, but what really did it for us was the simple little things and the attention to detail. Shane at reception was so friendly and so helpful, as was Chris and Darren (the bell boys). They all seemed to really care and want to provide the best for your stay. Teddy was lovely too and the staff in the restaurant and in Molly Darcy's. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Breakfast was very good and what we loved the most was there was no massive crowds or rush for brekkie in the mornings. It really felt like a 5 star service. will most definitely return. The spa is a wonderful experience and if the weather permits, I would definitely recommend taking the free bikes and going for a nice long cycle around the national park. Fabulous.

Room Tip: Room 203 has fabulous private balcony.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We held our wedding in Muckross Park Hotel on May 24th and are still on cloud nine after it. From the moment we met our wedding coordinator Declan Sharkey many months before the wedding, we knew we had made the right choice. Nothing was too much trouble, and given that we live in London, Declan's knowledge and suggestions were invaluable (from flowers to food, he seems to know everything!)
Our guests raved about the beauty of Killarney, the friendliness of the people and the food at the wedding. I have to say that the chef did an outstanding job - along with our selections from their wedding dinner options, we asked for a specific veggie option of Mushroom Wellington (I'm vegetarian) and my husband requested special salted butter (just because he likes it!). Both were fantastic.
Children were very well catered for at the wedding with my sister-in-law commenting that her 3 year old son seemed to have his own personal waitress! At the top table, Joanne did a brilliant job of looking after us, and even managed to figure out how my train tied up :-)
We stayed at the hotel for almost a week in total and I'd also like to thank Akos on reception and Teddy the porter for their helpfulness.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at the end if May. Everything was great, from our welcome ( chris was nice and extremely helpful) to the food in Molly darcy's. best chicken wings ever. We had a treatment in the spa. It was calming and very relaxing. Got to mention Colette and Mary were lovely and spoilt us no end. The hotel is tranquil and very relaxing. Just what we needed. Praise to all the staff there.

• Stayed May 2014
London
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Really rated this hotel and can see why it gets 5 star reviews. The location is great, the rooms and facilities ( spa,gym,free bike hire) are fantastic. The food is to die for, living in London we regularly visit Michelin star restaurants and their restaurant is up there with the best of them. The staff are all fantastic and can't do enough for you

• Stayed May 2014