“Made the Honeymoon”

Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Dublin, Ireland
“Made the Honeymoon”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We book this hotel as part of our honey moon. When we booked in they upgraded us to the presidential suite. we couldn’t believe our luck. We were given a guided tour of the room and there was a personalised message with treats and a bottle of wine. This was a once in a life time experience as this room is very expensive. The staff at the hotel were brilliant and very helpful.
The spa is a real treat and we felt rejuvenated every time we went. I can’t say enough good things about this hotel and the staff that work in it. It is in a great location and the restaurants and bars there are fantastic.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Clonmel, Ireland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I know in this day and age we are watching every penny but on occasion we have to splash out and have a little treat. Well if your going to treat yourself this is the place to do it. We spent three night here and a cost of €549 which included the best breakfast imaginable each morning and an outstanding meal in one of the night. The room was outstanding. A massive bed, big bathroom and silent. We also had access to the spa which was like stepping into heaven. The staff were fantastic both restaurant and accommodation. The bar in the hotel was great and a reasonably priced pint but if you fancied a more pub atmosphere head into the attached pub that does great food. Try the fish and chips yum yum.

Room Tip: Any where is good.
Little Rock
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was my first trip to Ireland. My trip was short and my stay in Killarney was only two days. Ted at the hotel help me plan my days, and his advice and guidance was perfect. He was well informed and patient with my questions. The bar at the hotel is also fun with good live music and great lamb pie. Overall, excellent hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
Rocklin, California
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel was my personal favorite among the 6 we stayed at during our recent Ireland/London journey. This has the absolute perfect mixture of tradition and modern convenience, and the housekeeping in the rooms and common areas is superb! Our family of 4 got a very unique room, the Innisfallen Suite (rm 210) which was in what looks to be an original "carriage house" part of the property. We had to climb a circular stairwell 2 flights, as the lift did not service the old building, but it was well worth it. Our suite had a huge living room, a separate master bedroom (with full bath), and then another stairway to a large loft/attic type room with a second king bed, perfect for our 2 daughters to share! Even though it faced the main road and was situated above the pub, the noise level was not bad, and hearing the <clomp clomp> of the horses pulling the carriages was pleasant.

Of all the "luxury" hotels we experienced, the staff here was easily the friendliest and least affected. The concierge was efficient, down-to-earth, always willing to offer suggestions, yet not in your face with unwanted attention. Look for Ted if you need any specific recommendations or want a good conversation about local spots and not so local spots - he knows Ireland well and loves to chat! I wish I could say the same for the other guests at this hotel, though. Maybe it was the 'formal' nature of being in a wedding party, but they acted as though every square meter of the building belonged to THEM, and how dare you try to walk through their party to get through!!

Fortunately, a few steps away from the entrance is also a very friendly pub, Molly Darcy's. While the menu at the more formal Yew Tree restaurant looked tempting, we were completely satisfied with the fare at Molly Darcy's, and the atmosphere and entertainment there were all very welcoming and warm. This is where I had my best steak in Ireland, as well as some outstanding desserts! Breakfast, per Irish tradition, was included and outstanding.

The only disappointment was that the pool was not available for our daughters to use (ages 11 & 13), as the Cloisters Spa is not open to children. While I can see reasons for this, it seems like kids would need a place for some swimming an recreation, maybe during certain hours? At first, we wondered if we would regret the location, which is about 2 miles away from the main shopping area of Killarney. However, when we realized that the Muckross Abbey was just across the street, we gladly chose to wander over there for out after dinner walk, rather than dodging pedestrians, carriages, hen parties, and tour buses just to see another 15-20 shops we had seen in every other Irish town. In all fairness, Killarney's shopping areas seemed very appealing. Our time at the Muckross was fantastic!

Room Tip: Big variety of room sizes and styles here, so take the time to ask about your choices! We were thri...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marsh511
Tipp City, Ohio
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Muckross Park Hotel was the second hotel we stayed at during our 9 night stay in Ireland. We only had two nights here but wished we had much more. It was absolutely beautiful situated in the Killarney National Park. A perfect location for nature lovers. We actually walked down the road only to find horse drawn carriages that took you through the park for a reasonable 10 Euro per person. The hotel was beautiful and was well kept. We went around the entire hotel and everything looked well kept and clean and the grounds were just gorgeous. It was a pleasant surprised considering our bad experience at the hotel we stayed at previous in Killenard. The air conditioning was working great which was a must because we were there the hottest days they had in 20 years. The food at the bar was very good as well as the breakfast buffet. The problems I would say is that I could not schedule a massage I so desperately wanted. They said they had a spot open on the 2nd day but I had a tour that day and wouldn't know if I would be back in time by 5:30 so she said to come see her after I got back but she couldn't hold the time for me because they would charge me a no show fee if I didn't make it. When I went straight to the spa after we got back from the tour at 4:30 she said they just booked the appointment to a guest from another hotel. I was disappointed that they couldn't have worked something out for me especially since I was a guest at their hotel. Another problem we had was we had requested a wake-up call and never got it. Thank goodness we had family with us in another room and they had called us and woke us because we had a tour that morning otherwise we may have missed the tour bus. The gentlemen at the reception desk said that the guy that took my call the previous evening never wrote it on the list.

We plan on coming back to Ireland next year and of all four of the hotels we stayed at I have to say that we will most definitely return to this hotel and next time it will be for a week not two days!

Room Tip: If you want a massage at their spa, I would book it in advance of coming.
1 Thank Jill S
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just spent a fabulous two nights in Muckross Park where we received a wonderful upgrade as it was a special occasion for my girlfriend & I. Room was very spacious with a 4 poster bed, complimentary mini bar & large living room & all the extras one would expect from a five star hotel. We had driven down from Dublin that night so the opportunity to use the gym & spa were welcomed & we set us up perfectly for our stay in the hotel. We had breakfast on both mornings in the restaurant which was lovely, some nice choices such as mini eggs benedict, local yoghurt & cheeses & the choice to order fresh fish cooked from the kitchen. We visited the Monks bar for a drink both nights & loved the cozy atmosphere (there is a great selection of irish whiskeys to choose from). The hotel is directly opposite the stunningly beautiful Muckross Park & we spent a wonderful sunny day exploring the park & the lakes, we headed into Killarney one night and ate in the Lord kenmare Restaurant & found it excellent also & enjoyed the music in the pub downstairs. Overall it was a fantastic get away for two nights and we really enjoyed staying in the hotel.

1 Thank rockyplace
Cork
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I booked the Muckross Park for my wife in May as it was her birthday. We also had a 7 week old baby with us. Having stayed here before in November 2012. I knew how much my wife would enjoy the relaxing break away.

On arrival the staff were extremely polite and helpful offering hot towels to freshen up before checking in at reception. Our bags were brought to our room and the layout of the hotel and room explained to us. We were in the room only a short time when there was a knock on the door. A birthday card and box of chocolates from the hotel staff wishing my wife a happy birthday. It really made her day.

We ate that evening in the hotel. The bar itself and restaurant were very busy however we were accommodated in the Monks bar which was ideal as there were only a handful of people there and our son slept through our meal.

The next morning breakfast was fantastic with a huge selection of cold and hot dishes from the buffet. Our waitress Trish was very helpful and seeing us tending to our son during our breakfast offered fresh tea and toast to my wife once he had settled again. Although people may say its a small gesture, to us it meant a lot.

Overall, the staff are very polite, make you feel welcome and help in anyway possible. The small touches made our stay enjoyable and relaxing. The management should be safe in the knowledge that their front of house staff are providing a 5 star service and the hotel itself was clean, welcoming and the room decor is of a very high standard.

Thanks again for a wonderful stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family