“Perfect wedding location, Superb Spa with exceptional staff”

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 28 February 2010

We recectly celebrated our Wedding day in the Muckross Park Hotel with a three night stay for both ourslves and our families. We had decided on an intimate occasion with a civil cermony, followed by our reception.
For anybody intrested in visiting this hotel i would highly reccommend a stay at the Muckross Park Hotel. The staff both in the hotel and the Cloisters Spa were outstanding in their professionalism, dedication towards the guests to ensure each had a positive and five star experience and most of all provided us with our perfect wedding experience.
Thanks to Fiona-Events Manager without her effort and patience we would not have had such attention to detail and everthing so perfect for us on our day, also our thanks to Niall-banqueting Manager his attention to our guests at our reception was second to none and he made our dining experience very relaxed and enjoyable. To the front desk staff Erwin, Caroline and Victoria thank you for your patience with our families and with ourselves over the months and on the days throughout our wedding. Also thanks to Ted for being such a happy and helpful concierge, it was a pleasure, Kye says hello to his good friend!!!!! Last but certainly not least to my wonderful girls in Cloisters Spa, Michelle, Jennifer and all the staff i cannot thank you enough for making the lead up to my wedding so relaxing and special. I had one of the most fantastic red wine baths followed by a superb hot-stone massage. To Michelle, where do i start, thank you, thank you, thank you!! You made my whole experience so enjoyable and relaxing and i felt very special thanks to your kindness and patience. I am forever grateful to you, not only making me look great and giving me good tips months before my wedding but for becoming a friend who genuinley cared about my wedding and the put everything into it as if it were the most important Bride that you would ever work with, so thanks again. See you all next year for our Anniversary stay!!!!!!!!
Kind Regards
Lisa & Simon Robertson

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
MuckrossPark, Guest Relations at Muckross Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2010

Many thanks for the lovely comments. We are absolutely delighted to have made your special day that little bit more special!

Warmest Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed 4 January 2010

If you are looking for the nicest spa around, this is the place for you! I went there for a romantic weekend in November and the staff were extremely helpful, professional and polite from booking to check-out. We stayed in the Belfry suite. Loved the four-poster bed (a rarity in many hotels).

The main reason we stayed here was the spa. It is absolutely out of this world. We had the place to ourselves and it was so relaxing. Spent way too many hours in the outdoor hot-tub! A great place to unwind while birds fly over the nearby stream. GORGEOUS!

I cannot recommend this hotel enough however, avoid the restaurant at all costs. One of the worst meals of my life. There was only one other couple dining that night, I every other guest knew something we didn't.

P.S. As it was my birthday, a complimentary bottle of wine was waiting for us on arrival. A very nice touch indeed.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2010

We stayed in this 5 star hotel and it was very special. They have a turn down service which I never heard of before. They put choclates on your pillow in the evening! Definatley the place to go to have the VIP treatment and their spa and pool was luxurious. Nice location near the woods and just outside of Killarney. Its pricey but worth it for a special night or two away...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Attended a family wedding which we were really looking forward to. Our initial check-in was great and our first impression of both rooms was super. It was all down hill after that. The towels in the bathroom were tiny, and only 3 tiny bath towels for 3 guests, and 2 face cloth size for hand! Advertised turn down service happened 1st night, half happened 2nd night(one lot of chocs for 3 guests) and 3rd night not at all. Breakfast on the 1st morning was fine but the following 2 mornings the service was a disgrace. Toast arrived followed 40mins later by tea and cooked breakfast, and that was after physically leaving our table to look for a waiter to take our order. I asked for fresh toast but it never appeared. On our 2nd day at 4pm I had to ring to reception to ask for our beds to be made up, and was greeted by a very rude receptionist who snapped that turn down service was not till 7pm. Twice, I had to explain that I merely wanted the beds made. Our visit to the Spa was no better. We signed in as requested and were left to our own devices to work out what all the facilities were! The basket which held towels was empty, and when we requested some the assistant barked at us "had we signed in", when we explained we had she promptly brought out and dumped on the shelf a basketful of BATH MATS to dry ourselves with. Tiny, rough BATH MATS.I would not like to comment too much on the wedding itself as the couple I'm sure paid a small fortune, the meal was very good, the waitress sloshed red wine in ontop of my white wine and was so embarrassed she just laughed and left but not before she shoshed a bit more onto my husbands white shirt, but the fact that the guests had to dismantle their own table and carry it to another area in the room to faciliate the band says it all! I could go on and on. Upon checkout I was asked the usual "was everything ok?", I explained it wasn't, and handed him a completed comment card. He apologised and said the manger would be in touch asap, which of course hasn't happened. I'm not surprised as I didn't notice a manager on duty throughout my stay. Hence I decided to whrite my review. I along with my family of 6 had two rooms booked and paid a substantial amount for the 3 night stay. We were most disappointed with the value and service. Within the last 6 months I have stayed in the Lyrath Estate Hotel, Tulfarris Golf Resort Hotel and Fitzpatricks Hotel, Killiney all of which are 4* and they far outweigh Muckross Park for service and value. Bill and Jackie should themselves, be sacked.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank YellowLuigi
Reviewed 7 November 2009

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel in mid september. We we're looking for a relaxing few days away and that's exactly what we got, pure luxury. We found the staff very helpful in every department of the hotel. We ate in the Hotel Pub and the food was very good. We were worried about some negative comments left on trip advisor prior to our stay but we had an absolutely great time and enjoyed all the facilities the hotel has to offer. The location is ideal for people who enjoy the outdoors as its right at the entrance to the beautiful Killarney National Park.
Cant recommend this hotel highly enough.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2009

After looking at many 5 star hotels to go away for the Bank Holiday weekend (not that I stay in 5 star hotels that often!!) I decided on Muckross Park. Times are hard and it was not cheap, but the deal for the weekend was very appealing. On arriving, we were impressed with the decor of the hotel and were delighted to be upgraded to a four-poster room. Our bags were taken to the room by a very helpful lad. We went for a drink and a bite to eat in Molly Darcy's next door where the food was very generous in portion size and very tasty. The next morning I received news that my aunt had passed away. I informed the receptionist, Caroline, and she couldn't have been more understanding and sympathetic as there was a possibility that we may have had to leave early. As it turned out, we were able to complete our 3 night stay. On the Sunday and Monday we had treatments in the Cloisters Spa and what an experience it was! Jane and her team were fantastic. Despite being upset and not in the best of form, we left our Cloisters experience feeling totally relaxed and refreshed. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the Monday night and the food was absolutely exquisite. The service was second to none (granted it was a quiet night). I happened to see Jackie Lavin and Bill Cullen in the foyer on the Monday and made a point of complimenting her on the staff in the hotel. People are very quick to complain nowadays, but I believe that if someone does a job well that they deserve get the recognition for it. A huge thank you to all the staff at the hotel and I would certainly recommend the hotel and spa to anyone. Well done!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2009

The National Park is gorgeous. We stayed in the Belfry Suite which was haphazardly furnished-no coffee table in front of either of the 2 sofas. Cleaning staff was marginal. Towels were of Motel 6 quality. Our room was on the top floor and above us the air conditioning system so there was a continuous engine sound. The nice bar was closed except on the weekends as was the nicest dining room. The lounge area never had a fire in the fireplace, minimal staff, and a piano in the middle of the room that must have come from someone's garage: ugly, old, and out of tune.
My 1 hour massage was actually approximately 35 minutes--the hour was calculated from walking from the locker room--a person had to lead you--to the room where you were then told to lay down and relax. Minutes later the massage began and ended quickly even though I had commented that it was to be 1 hour. I was told to stay in the room for as long as I wish (alone) and then led to a relaxation area--by then 45 minutes had gone by. I suggest asking if the massage is a true hour or really 1/2 of that.
The hotel was in total shut-down mode and this was never mentioned to us when we made our reservations back in August. To show on a hotel web site all of the amenities the hotel has and provides and to have half of them closed is improper.
If you wanted a pre or post night drink you had to go outside (raining) to the pub.
The building (main entry) of the hotel is nice but the quality of this hotel is about a 3.
Very, very disappointed in every way.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple