“splendid 5 star hotel with old world charm!!!”

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Dingle, Ireland
“splendid 5 star hotel with old world charm!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2010

I stayed at the muckross park Hotel recently for the Bike Fest at the Gleneagle, everthing from the check in to the check out was wonderful!! the staff at front desk were so friendly and very helpful, and the concierge Ted was ever so nice, showed me and my wife to our room and explained all the facilities clearly to me, the rooms dont have big in your face flatscreen tv's , but then again they would look out of character with the decor of the room and hotel which is very old world, our room was spacious and clean and ensuite too, We ate in Molly's for dinner, and the food was top notch, i would highly reccommend the sizzling chicken!! and the service was impeccable. the breakfast was excellent too, and the waitress was very friendly. we also availed of the spa facilities which were out of this world!! i received a full body massage from Michelle, which was a DEEP tissue massage! it loosened up knots that i didn't even know i had!! the vitality pool and steam rooms were fantastic! along with the outdoor hot tub situated by the blue pool river, it is a MUST!! the hotel is situated in the muckross park, although on a road, but still in the park, lots of beautiful scenic walks around the lakes! Overall it was a wonderful experience, and i will be back for another stay,

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed at the Muckross Park hotel for 2 nights for a friends wedding. There was a litany of problems, some more serious than others, but overall I would not return or recommend. I'll list out the good first, followed by the bad. How this place is even still licensed and open is a mystery to me.

Good:
Wedding was very well organised, and the food was excellent at it (so someone there can cook!). We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the wedding.
The place looked good, and was clean for the most part.
The staff in the spa and hotel in general were very friendly and polite.
Wifi was available and working.

Poor:
Reservation process and room. This was awkward from the start. We booked 2 nights, garden view, double room, over the phone, the confirmation email we received had changed that to one night. We emailed back and corrected. When we arrived, the room was a twin, and a different rate than quoted was on the check-in form. We switched to another room, so our Garden View was instead a view of a large, smelly and extremely noisy kitchen extractor fan. This was not switched off despite numerous complaints, until midnight on our second night, after several calls to front desk about it.

Breakfast. I've had better breakfast in 2 star hostels. This was truly appalling. The quality of everything is absolute bargain basement. Awful full irish, the sausages and black pudding in particular were terrible, the meat was MSM without a doubt (mechanically separated). Industrial processed sliced pan bread, toasted and left to go soft and soggy. Terrible juices, from concentrate, and not even cold. One single type of cheap jam on offer. Far removed from the strawberries it was supposed to be made from, there wasn't a single strawberry seed in it. I ordered pancakes the first morning. These arrived cold, burnt and dry. Not a spec on syrup on them. They were sent back after one bite. Our friends had the full Irish, it arrived about 20 seconds after they ordered it, which meant it must have been on hot plates in the back, apart from the the egg, which was cold. My husband had the smoked salmon with scrambled egg. Egg was tepid, salmon was cheap and slimy. I ordered omelet the second morning, ham and cheese. Ham was again cheapest of the cheap plastic-type reconstituted awful wet ham.

Bar staff: The bar staff were clearly untrained. Pints were of varying awful quality, all served in damp warm glasses. Dangerous. When I asked what they had that was non-alcoholic, I got a single word answer of Coke. Great. So I had that, the bar person put his hand into a bucket that also held unopened bottles of beer, dug around and put ice in a filthy glass for me!!! Have these people not heard of weil's disease? That is a lethally dangerous thing to do. We were also charged various amounts for the same thing in different parts of the hotel. 3.70 for a pint of stout in front bar, same thing 4:30 in back bar. What's that about? Martini's ordered were served in pint glasses, with limes instead of olives. Utterly ridiculous.

Toiletries and bathroom: Mis-matched products, as if they've been collected from sales from other hotels, and very stingy with them. 1 single tiny 25ml bottle of shampoo and shower gel was our allotment apparently for two people, across 3 days. You'd get more in prison I'd hazard. We used this up on the Friday evening of our arrival, and spent the rest of the weekend requesting more, to finally receive it on Sunday morning, when my hair was clung to my head from the lack of a shower. The cleaning staff did however very artfully arrange the EMPTY bottles in a bowl on the sink. Thanks guys. The shower is in the bath, with a swinging perspex door. So you have to turn on the water and wait for it to heat, open the perspex (soaking the floor) and then clamber in. The towels are out of reach, unless you again climb into the bath or onto the sink counter. There is a towel heating rail, which cannot be switched off, and heats the bathroom to stifling levels overnight. It's like walking into an oven in the morning.

TV. The oldest tv I've seen in years, and it's stuck in the corner, not in line with the bed. Fuzzy reception on maybe 6 channels. Some of the channels had the little pint glass symbol on them, which I thought meant they were licensed for pub use only?

5 star touches? We're lucky enough to stay in 5 star places a few times a year, so there are some small touches we often see there. Turn down service, none here. Valet parking, has to be arranged in advance apparently. Complimentary drinking water, no chance, but you can pay 3 euro for 250ml of warm minibar water if you want.

Location: It's not in Killarney park, and it's a drive to the lakes.

I complained on checkout (as well as several times during our stay), and 1 nights accommodation was removed from our bill. For that reason alone, the review has gone from a 1 star to a 2 star.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pwurple
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

We booked Muckross Park Hotel last minute and we got a great deal.
First impressions on entering the hotel were that it was really well presented, lovely reception area. Reception staff were helpful and gave us information about the hotel and the surrounding areas. We had a few minutes wait to be brought to our room but we didn’t mind.
We had a family room which had interconnecting rooms - really nicely decorated and very spacious, with big bathrooms in both rooms. Bathrobe and slippers supplied, and a turn down service was provided at night. Our room unfortunately did not have a great view, unlike some of the other rooms, and we had no balcony.
On the first evening we ate in the hotel restaurant. The food was really nice including the childrens meals. The children did not want food off their menu but they got half portions from our menu which was no hassle to the staff. The staff were very professional and friendly.
On the second day we used the spa facilities, but did not get any treatments. The spa area is very nicely designed, with nice views onto a little stream. Outdoor hottub was amazing. The only down point about the spa is the pool is not for children, as its more a hydrotherapy pool than swimming pool. We did request drinks for the relaxation area, but we left before they were delivered as we had waited 30 minutes.
Second night meal was in the adjoining pub. Food wasn't to the standard of the restaurant, but the service was very good. The kids ordered 'Bangers and Mash' but they had no mash! Breakfast on both mornings was very good, with good selection of cereals, juices, meats. Hot breakfasts were cooked to order which I would prefer rather than a buffet style setup.
The bar in the hotel was not open. On walking around Killarney we found that a lot of the hotels in the town had entertainment at nighttime, but unfortunately there was no entertainment in Muckross Park.
Overall we found the hotel to be good value for money (not the 5 star prices you would expect) and the staff to be very pleasant. Good base for exploring Killarney but you need to drive to get into the Killarney town. The National Park is straight across the road, with pony rides also available. There wasn't really any 'WOW' factor which you would expect from a 5 star hotel, but we would still recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

I had never been to a 5* hotel before and I have to say I can see how you could get use to the luxury! Hotel was beautiful, we got great room with a big balcony. The staff were all very helpful and we had a great welcome with an intro to the area and where best to visit during our stay. Spa was gorgeous - just what you need to relax and the breakfast was good with great service. The only let down for me was the bar food in the ajoining pub, it just didn't live up to what I was expecting taste and portion wise. But overall I would def recommend this hotel to my friends - had a great weekend.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Greeneville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

The hotel itself is lovely. The Bar and one of the restaurants were closed when I was there, leaving my only option the Blue Pool Restaurant. The food, and wine selection, were surprisingly top drawer - I had several wonderful dinners during my stay and the chef was very accomodating. Sadly, one of the 3 nights I ate there, I was the only guest and the other 2 nights there were only 2 other tables. I felt bad for the chef as his food was delightful. The last night when I was the only guest, I just told the waiter to have the chef prepare for me whatever he felt like making that night since I knew I would not be disappointed. The wine list was very good.
The room was spacious and beautiful with a nice view. But the bed was uncomfortable and hard, and the pillows were a hard foam. When I asked for feather pillows I was told that feathers were illegal in hotels in Ireland and thus they do not use them. I have never heard of such a thing, but suffice it to say that I did not get a good night's sleep the entire time I was there.
The spa was nice and the staff was friendly throughout the hotel, but I was disappointed that hardly anyone was actually Irish.
If you are looking for a romantic and secluded place to spend some quiet time, this is a great destination. But it is very isolated. I thought it was good value for the money. Overall the experience/stay was a mixed bag.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
Kildare
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2010

This hotel USED to be 5 Star, not any more..... some rooms are not 5 Star, ensuites can be small without separate shower/bath areas, the water was a yellow colour, the toiletries basic and the over sink lighting non existent. HAving a show left water all over the floor. The complimentary water was €3.00 a bottle and the breakfast buffet had cheap sugary concentrated juices and jams... Not 5 Star... We had a complaint about our room - we booked a Delux King and got a cramped over heated twin, management promised 'to look after us' but have avoided our requests to be heard ever since... do not stay here the Killarney Park & Europe are much better choices.. I could rave about the Killarney Park & Europe but have nothing to say about the Muckross Park other than very dissappointing, staff are lovely but hang management and takeaway a star!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

We had our first weekend away without children here last month and I am so glad we picked this hotel. It is fabulous and the staff are so friendly. Food is beautiful and the spa is out of this world! Nothing pretentious about it either which is great for a 5 star hotel. Couldn't recommend it enough and will definitely return!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple