“What a flawless experience....”

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Killarney, Ireland
“What a flawless experience....”
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I Got married in Muckross Park in August and it was flawless from start to finish. From the day we decided to go with MPH they were fantastic to deal with, nothing was a problem and their guidence for my special day was so spot on.The moment we arrived at the Hotel Everything ran smoothly, food was supberb, staff were the nicest right down to the glass collectors. The Spa was somthing out of this world. Management were the best I have seen anywhere. I can't put into words my experience that we had at MPH. They really made our day special. Thank You.....

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
ireland
Reviewed 27 August 2010

This is some hotel
This is some location
The staff are tremendous
The room was terrific
Free wifi
The food was to die for.
If you get a chance try this hotel and USE THE SPA

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I got a weekend in spa hotel as a present from my boyfriend for my birthday.
I was very excited for the hotel it self as well as for a trip to Killarney as it was my first time there.
We arrived to the hotel late Friday and have been welcomed by staff at the doors.
I have to admit that the hotel makes great first impression it’s only a bit later the fairytale vanishes.
Staff at the reception was very kind and helpful.
We have been brought to the room and introduced to its equipment.
At firs I thought ‘great’: big bed, specious room until I looked into the bathroom. 3 stars hotels haven’t had such a mould on the shower like this one.
I’m not sure how much time cleaning ladies are spending in one room but surely they do not spend to much of it in bathrooms.
There was few more small things that made me think it shouldn’t be 5 star hotel. Cleanness was one of them :
- The lace curtain both in our room and corridor were dirty
- Carpet was hoovered only in the central part of the room
- Sitting area on the front of the hotel was all dusty
- Paint in the spa was flake
- Tiles in the spa area were broken
Breakfast was very basic. Buffet has had neither ham nor yellow cheese.

Only one thing in this hotel was beyond reproach it was its staff. Very nice and helpful since the very beginning of our stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Fermanagh
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We stayed in the hotel on their 5 day package which included 3 dinners, a picnic and hire of bicyles on one day. This package for our family of 5 was fantastic value. We were greeted on arrival by Ted in concierage who was extremely helpful, friendly and informative about what we should do and see during our stay.

We stayed in the historic suite, which was extremely spacious. It had a large living area and two bedrooms. One of the bedrooms for the children was a galley bedroom with a large velux window. This room was extremely hot during the day and quite uncomfortable to sleep in at night. There was no blind on the window, so the sunlight was very strong. This might also be a problem if you had young children as they would be awake very early in the morning.

The suite also had only one shower between the 5 of us which could be a problem when you have teenagers! My husband and I resolved this by showering down in the Cloisters Spa each evening. The 2 bathrooms were definetely in need of a face lift. They were the most dissappointing part of the suite. Another reviewer mentioned about the televisions in the rooms. We are not particularly into technology but the TVs could do with replacing. The picture on most of the stations jumped up and down, making it impossible to watch anything.

The website of the hotel promised a treat of foot-cream or aromotherphy oil at turndown service. This did not materialise. In fact we were not left anything. The turndown service was particularly bad. They did not replenish towels or toiletries, and did not lift used towels. They literally turned down the quilt. One night we happened to be there at turndown and watched as a male member of housekeeping walked out past us with a large bag of chocolates. I don't know who he was intending to give them to! Our children were not impressed with this.

We found the food in the hotel restaurant to be of a high standard and had 3 lovely meals there. Breakfast is definetely basic with a limited choice, but we didn't have any complaints there either. The waiters and waitresses were extremely nice and friendly, and nothing was too much trouble.

The cloisters spa is the most luxurious part to the hotel and my husband and I used the thermal spa and pool at the end of each day. (Children under 18 are not permitted ). During our stay however none of the steam rooms were working which was dissappointing.

It would take very little to bring this hotel back to its 5 star status. Everyone was so nice to us during our stay that I feel a little guilty writing anything negative!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Tonifermanagh
Cork
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We got married in the Muckross Park Hotel on the 16th of July this year. We had a civil ceremony in the Atrium followed by the reception. We stayed down the night before and had a barbecue for friends and family. Our whole experience was amazing. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are beautiful, the spa is heavenly and the girls in the spa are great (special thanks to Michelle for the great job on our make-up), the food was delicious and the service was brilliant. We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived until we left. All our guests were thrilled and we couldn't recommend the hotel and it's staff more highly. Thank you to Muckross and Niall Tangney in particular for the best two days.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Dingle, Ireland
Reviewed 31 July 2010

I stayed at the muckross park Hotel recently for the Bike Fest at the Gleneagle, everthing from the check in to the check out was wonderful!! the staff at front desk were so friendly and very helpful, and the concierge Ted was ever so nice, showed me and my wife to our room and explained all the facilities clearly to me, the rooms dont have big in your face flatscreen tv's , but then again they would look out of character with the decor of the room and hotel which is very old world, our room was spacious and clean and ensuite too, We ate in Molly's for dinner, and the food was top notch, i would highly reccommend the sizzling chicken!! and the service was impeccable. the breakfast was excellent too, and the waitress was very friendly. we also availed of the spa facilities which were out of this world!! i received a full body massage from Michelle, which was a DEEP tissue massage! it loosened up knots that i didn't even know i had!! the vitality pool and steam rooms were fantastic! along with the outdoor hot tub situated by the blue pool river, it is a MUST!! the hotel is situated in the muckross park, although on a road, but still in the park, lots of beautiful scenic walks around the lakes! Overall it was a wonderful experience, and i will be back for another stay,

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed at the Muckross Park hotel for 2 nights for a friends wedding. There was a litany of problems, some more serious than others, but overall I would not return or recommend. I'll list out the good first, followed by the bad. How this place is even still licensed and open is a mystery to me.

Good:
Wedding was very well organised, and the food was excellent at it (so someone there can cook!). We thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the wedding.
The place looked good, and was clean for the most part.
The staff in the spa and hotel in general were very friendly and polite.
Wifi was available and working.

Poor:
Reservation process and room. This was awkward from the start. We booked 2 nights, garden view, double room, over the phone, the confirmation email we received had changed that to one night. We emailed back and corrected. When we arrived, the room was a twin, and a different rate than quoted was on the check-in form. We switched to another room, so our Garden View was instead a view of a large, smelly and extremely noisy kitchen extractor fan. This was not switched off despite numerous complaints, until midnight on our second night, after several calls to front desk about it.

Breakfast. I've had better breakfast in 2 star hostels. This was truly appalling. The quality of everything is absolute bargain basement. Awful full irish, the sausages and black pudding in particular were terrible, the meat was MSM without a doubt (mechanically separated). Industrial processed sliced pan bread, toasted and left to go soft and soggy. Terrible juices, from concentrate, and not even cold. One single type of cheap jam on offer. Far removed from the strawberries it was supposed to be made from, there wasn't a single strawberry seed in it. I ordered pancakes the first morning. These arrived cold, burnt and dry. Not a spec on syrup on them. They were sent back after one bite. Our friends had the full Irish, it arrived about 20 seconds after they ordered it, which meant it must have been on hot plates in the back, apart from the the egg, which was cold. My husband had the smoked salmon with scrambled egg. Egg was tepid, salmon was cheap and slimy. I ordered omelet the second morning, ham and cheese. Ham was again cheapest of the cheap plastic-type reconstituted awful wet ham.

Bar staff: The bar staff were clearly untrained. Pints were of varying awful quality, all served in damp warm glasses. Dangerous. When I asked what they had that was non-alcoholic, I got a single word answer of Coke. Great. So I had that, the bar person put his hand into a bucket that also held unopened bottles of beer, dug around and put ice in a filthy glass for me!!! Have these people not heard of weil's disease? That is a lethally dangerous thing to do. We were also charged various amounts for the same thing in different parts of the hotel. 3.70 for a pint of stout in front bar, same thing 4:30 in back bar. What's that about? Martini's ordered were served in pint glasses, with limes instead of olives. Utterly ridiculous.

Toiletries and bathroom: Mis-matched products, as if they've been collected from sales from other hotels, and very stingy with them. 1 single tiny 25ml bottle of shampoo and shower gel was our allotment apparently for two people, across 3 days. You'd get more in prison I'd hazard. We used this up on the Friday evening of our arrival, and spent the rest of the weekend requesting more, to finally receive it on Sunday morning, when my hair was clung to my head from the lack of a shower. The cleaning staff did however very artfully arrange the EMPTY bottles in a bowl on the sink. Thanks guys. The shower is in the bath, with a swinging perspex door. So you have to turn on the water and wait for it to heat, open the perspex (soaking the floor) and then clamber in. The towels are out of reach, unless you again climb into the bath or onto the sink counter. There is a towel heating rail, which cannot be switched off, and heats the bathroom to stifling levels overnight. It's like walking into an oven in the morning.

TV. The oldest tv I've seen in years, and it's stuck in the corner, not in line with the bed. Fuzzy reception on maybe 6 channels. Some of the channels had the little pint glass symbol on them, which I thought meant they were licensed for pub use only?

5 star touches? We're lucky enough to stay in 5 star places a few times a year, so there are some small touches we often see there. Turn down service, none here. Valet parking, has to be arranged in advance apparently. Complimentary drinking water, no chance, but you can pay 3 euro for 250ml of warm minibar water if you want.

Location: It's not in Killarney park, and it's a drive to the lakes.

I complained on checkout (as well as several times during our stay), and 1 nights accommodation was removed from our bill. For that reason alone, the review has gone from a 1 star to a 2 star.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple