“Lifelong Memories Of A Perfect Stay”
Review of Arbutus Hotel

Arbutus Hotel
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Florida
“Lifelong Memories Of A Perfect Stay”
Reviewed 20 January 2008

From the moment I entered Arbutus, I knew I would be back again. The ambience was so warm and relaxing. Every member of the staff were friendly and helpful. The room was spotless, the decor was tasteful with an extremely comfortable bed.
The breakfasts were made to order and there was an amazing assortment of food that we could help ourselves to. I still dream about the "ginger bread". I ordered the local fish called plaice for dinner one evening and it was prepared perfectly. It was the best fish I have ever eaten and I am from Florida! The pub was a delight, the music brought the patrons to their feet. Last but not least, the location is within walking distance of everything Killarney town has to offer. That is only if you feel like leaving the hotel. Everything you need is at Arbutus. I have already made reservations for my next trip this spring!

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank HarpEire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
lancaster, PA
Reviewed 14 January 2008

This is a true experience of Irish hospitality. Our server, Betty, did everything possible to please us which was easy as the food was wonderful. Loved the Guiness cheese. The room was very comfortable and tastefully decorated. Enjoyed the welcome Irish coffee, the pub music and the real peat fireplaces. The location was the best, easy to walk to shops, ATM, etc. Hope to be lucky enough to return to Killarney and Arbutus Hotel.

• Liked — close to shopping, atms, etc, great service, wonderful meals
  • Disliked — couldn't stay long enough
  • Stayed December 2007
1 Thank celticgal64
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2008

This hotel was the one negative throughout our wonderful 9-day trip to Ireland last summer. After reading all the positive reviews here, I was very surprised by the condition of our room. It was old, dirty, and smelled like mildew. Two of the lamp light bulbs were burned out, which didn't help, but once we complained and they were changed, the room was still so dark I could barely see to read. My boyfriend and I didn't feel comfortable stepping on the carpet without shoes. The view from our room overlooked the back of the bar next door, which was filled with smokers and tapped kegs. The common areas of the hotel, like the restaurant and lobby, were lovely, which made me even more confused as to why the room was so yucky. On the postive side of things, the location was great, and the staff was helpful in directing us to a place to park our car. This could be a much more pleasent place to stay after some serious guest room renovations.

• Liked — Convienient location
  • Disliked — Dirty, smelly guest room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
31 Thank mployed
TheArbutusBuckleys, Owner at Arbutus Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I too am confused to see that your memory of your room is of such a place. I have difficulty understanding it as being aware that it was your honeymoon we gave you one of the best bedrooms in the hotel which had been renovated the Winter before your stay. Had we been made aware of this at the time we could have given you an alternative room.

Apologies

If you do come to Ireland again we would love to have the opportunity to make amends

Seán Buckley

P.S. We have 25 bedrooms and renovate or redecorate 4 or 5 rooms every Winter while we are closed. All our rooms have been revamped
cincinnati, oh
Reviewed 20 December 2007

As a tour operator to Ireland we've had experience with a great many properties and there are very few indeed who still offer a true experience of Irish hospitality. Sean, Mrs. Buckley, Michelle, Ina, Betty and of course Tim in the pub make this a must stop in Killarney. The rooms are comfy and cozy, and the food remains some of the best anywhere. Don't forget to try the gingerbread for breakfast along w/ the lovely plaice. In a town known for hospitality this is truely the best there is. . .don't miss it!

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank katie330
phoenix, arizona
Reviewed 19 December 2007

Walking into the lobby of this hotel was like looking at that 1960's movie, :"Journey to the Center of the Earth", when they were in Scotland organizing the expedition. It is one of the most charming hotels I have ever seen. While Killarney has many, many beautiful hotels....this one stood out from the rest for the real peat fireplaces and friendliness of the staff, delicious food and our server, Betty, with her warmth and happy smile made this especially nice for meals. The rooms were small but the bathrooms were spacious enough and the decorating throughout the hotel is lovingly attended with antiques and details that harken back to the late 1800's. It takes you back in time, hence why I said it looks like a movie set. I loved it and would not hesitate to revisit this quaint hotel over and over again!

• Liked — wamth and comfort
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank marketwatch
Delaware
Reviewed 13 December 2007

The room was just what we needed and nothing more which was fine by us. The food was amazing but nothing could top the service we got. Betty was a true pleasure to be around. She was engaging and entertaining. She made the effort to go above and beyond taking care of you.

The front desk staff were also truly delightful.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neen1610
Toronto
Reviewed 4 December 2007

My husband and I recently spent 2 nights at The Arbutus and had a wonderful time in Killarney. What a great town, and the hotel was terrific. The lobby, dining room and Buckley's pub are all cozy and inviting and beautifully decorated. Breakfast was superb with lots to choose from and a perfect start to the day. All staff were very friendly and helpful. The only negative is the room itself (#129), while very clean, was quite shabby and not what I would have expected from such a beautiful hotel. The decor and the furniture itself desperately required updating although the bathroom had been redone and was very nice. Despite that, I would definitely love to stay at The Arbutus again if I am ever lucky enough to return to Killarney.
I would highly recommend spending an evening in Buckley's pub, where they have live music most nights and lots of locals gather. People were extremely friendly and we had a great time there.

• Liked — Beautiful lobby and lounge, Buckley's Pub.
  • Disliked — Room itself requires updating.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple