“True Perfection!”

Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
“True Perfection!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2007

This was my second time back to the Arbutus and it was perfect. I can easily say this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in, and I have stayed in many. This is the only hotel I would ever consider staying in, in Killarney and only wished they had hotels elsewhere.
The staff is warm, friendly and incredably helpfull. Five minutes into my stay I felt like they were family, no kidding. On my first visit they welcomed me by name to Ireland when I walked in the door, they did the same this visit. They go out of their way to help you. For example, I wanted to go see the house in which my grandmother was raised as a child. I had no clue where it was. On my first visit, they set me up with a driver, who was able to find the house. On my second visit, they arranged for the driver prior to my arrival and had the plans set so that I could take my brother. Wow! The staff has worked there for years. They are lovely. They are unintrusive, but right there for you!
Bette in the dining room, greets you every morning with a warm smile and is eager to give you the best Irish breakfast and service. We love Bette! Ina at the front desk helped me prior to my stay and on my last visit with the driver and questions about Killarney. She is on top of the details and paperwork. Check in and check out is quick and smooth. Sean the manager, is a real gentleman, also offering advice and is more than happy to help with anything you need during your stay including tours of the hotel. He is out with the guests. I have stayed in well over 100 hotels and never met a manager. It was a pleasure to meet Sean and tell him what a great job both he and his staff does.
The hotel itself is immaculate. There is no dust, hair, fingerprint to be found. Everything sparkles and shines. The rooms are large and warm! There is an individual control over the temperature in the room. There are plenty of chairs in the room and the bathrooms are modern and large. The water is hot for long periods of time and the toilets flush! Huge for hotels in Ireland. In many I was taking a cold shower and had to flush several times.
The hotel is quiet, despite being in the town. I never heard noise from the outside. It is an easy walk to everything. There is great Irish music in the hotel itself and right down the block. The food in the hotel is superb and the staff will suggest other places to go as well, which are also terrific.
Free advice. Go to Dingle! The hotel can arrange for a driver. Ask for Sean. The scenery is gorgeous and not yet a big tourist destination in comparison to the Ring of Kerry, but just as spectacular. See picture below.
I wish every hotel I stayed in was like the Arbutus. I am only disappointed they are so far away because I love staying there! The personal attention, charming, clean, warm, large, comfortable rooms, and the wonderfull staff make this hotel a truly special place to stay. Treat yourself, you will not be disappointed!

• Liked — Great service, clean rooms
  • Disliked — No alarm clock.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
8 Thank WildRovers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2007

Stayed in this charming family run hotel here when our other accomodation fell through in Glencar. Really friendly and welcoming staff, particularly Betty who served us breakfast. Recommend the french toast with bacon and maple syrup!

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank RebeccaLondon
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2007

my husband & i have just returned from a lovely weekend at the arbutus hotel. staff are all very friendly & attentive. our room was lovely big comfy queen sized bed, lovely clean bathroom with a good shower. breakfast is a feast, fresh fruit salad - & i mean fresh, selection of juices croissants, brown bread , ginger bread, cereals, yogurts, hot food menu including full irish, fish, omelette,
scrambled with smoked salmon, french toast. what a selection.
service was excellent. dinner was also very good on the saturday night. we ate in treyvauds restaurant friday night well worth a visit great food fab service. will definitely go back to the arbutus for that good old fashioned hospitality thats fast disappearing

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank ballyg
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2007

My husband and I stayed here for a few days in October and we were very impressed with the standard of service, the comfort of the bedroom and the friendliness of the staff. It is a family owned and managed hotel and this is very evident from the personal attention given to all the guests.
Its central location makes it an ideal base for climbing the Killarney Mountains, sight-seeing or strolling in the nearby National Park.
As well, its town central location meant we could enjoy the town's night-life without any worries about drinking and driving
We thoroughly enjoyed our wedding anniversary there and would wholeheartly recommend the Arbutus Hotel as a place to stay and enjoy

Stayed October 2006
5 Thank oct2004
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2007

We had just arrived in Killarney after an harrowing drive from the airport. Upon arrival we were greeted by two lovely women, given tea and biscuits and inquired what they could do to help.
Our room was WONDERFUL. Huge bed. Lovely bathroom with a huge tub and large shower, plus plenty of room for both my own and my husband's toiletries! We had a small area in which we could sit at a small table, drink tea or coffee, and watch and listen to the sounds below.
The Arbutus Hotel is located right on College Street, which has many shops in which to browse. There are plenty of pubs as well, and the beer is indeed very good.
We saw red deer, native only to Ireland. I walked a good mile admiring wild holly vines.
We drove to Dingle Bay and found it to be one of the most quaintest little towns we visited.
I highly suggest staying in Killarney, and making the Arbutus Hotel your central base as it is so close to so much within walking distance, horse-riding distance, cab, or bus.
Oh yes, the food at this hotel is the best I've had. The breakfasts are HUGE. Everything from American's typical cereal, yogurts and juice, but home made breads, full "Irish Breakfasts" (bet you cannot eat the whole plate). Their French toast is wonderful. The fruit salad is fresh and has an essence in it that I've never tasted before. The dinner meal was wonderful too. Fine linen tables, excellent food, and incredible service. I have a favorite employee at the Arbutus Hotel; don't miss out having her serve you in some capacity = Betty O'Connor. It is a family run hotel and it's great. Murphy's bar is right next door, too!

Stayed April 2004
5 Thank smsm1162
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2006

When an acquaintance booked rooms at the Arbutus for four couples, we weren't certain about what we would find. We were all surprised by the charm of the hotel and the quality of the accommodations. We all had updated, large, pleasant rooms and found the staff to be helpful and competent. We dined at the hotel one evening due to inclement weather and also found the restaurant to be excellent, with good food, nice atmosphere and good service. The breakfast is good, as well. Try the scones and enjoy live, traditional Irish music in the pub!

The Arbutus is a charming hotel and we will definitely stay there again in the near future.

• Liked — Large, updated rooms.
  • Disliked — No negatives to comment on.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
6 Thank waynek
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2006

I recently went on a pub tour of Ireland through CIE tours. We spent 2 nights in the Arbutus Hotel in Killarney. What a lovely hotel! The staff was incredibly gracious and accomidating...especially Betty, a member of the restaurant waitstaff. Friendly and always smiling! She would bend over backwards for you. They even provided one of the other tour members an entire gluton-free menu, something that none of the other hotels during our stay provided. A wonderful experience!

Stayed November 2006