“Warm welcom and beautiful room” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Abbey Lodge
Ranked #31 of 145 Killarney B&B and Inns
Kansas City
“Warm welcom and beautiful room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2008

Abbey Lodge is one of the finest and most comfortable Guest Houses I have ever experienced. The owners are very gracious, as is the staff. The rooms are large and very comfortable and the breakfast is delicious with a wide and varied menu.

The location is excellent, with a 3-minute walk to the town center and easy access to Killarney National Park and Muckross House and Gardens. Being on Muckross Road, Abbey Lodge is perfectly situated for your drive to Lady's View and the Ring of Kerry.

Also, if you appreciate spectacular scenery, the mountains around Killarney are visible from the front door. I recommend Abbey Lodge completely.

• Liked — The comfort and warmth of our experience.
  • Disliked — I can't think of a thing I didn't like about Abbey Lodge. Now, if they could stop the rain, it would be perfect.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2008

Maybe Abbey Lodge should simply close down in the winter as many other accomodations do. The person who greeted us was very interested in ironing the linens but not too much in us as guests. She did tell us she was not the owner. They were away because they likely knew that the heat is turned on at night and then off in the morning. Other places we stayed turn the heat off at night and on in the morning which makes more sense, don't you think? Anyway, if you stay there in the winter, get up before they turn the heat off or expect to take a shower in a very cold room if it is winter.

While we had booked for a few nights, we decided to leave because of their policy on heat and because the person in charge, though pleasant enough, had no interest in whether we stayed or not.

The room was clean enough and the premises inviting and interesting. I bet spring and summer are better times to visit Abbey Lodge. The location is just great for access to downtown and it is literally right across the street from Killarney National Park. This park is a gem and if you are a runner or like to walk, this is one of the loveliest places I've ever experienced; a rushing river, scenic lake and a view of the mountains will take your breath away. Don't miss it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable temperatures in room
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
markdelux
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2007

I stayed here for just under a week in June of this year with my girlfriend. Great value for money, the room was exceptionally comfortable, decorated to a standard that I hadn't previously associated with guesthouses. Breakfast fantastic, staff/owners warm and welcoming, would definitely consider another visit. The proximity of the place to the town is another plus, for enjoying the myriad of pubs & restaurants.

• Liked — The decor of the room was fantastic. Also bathroom was spotless, rare in my experience
  • Disliked — They didn't have the open fire burning during our stay (Well it was summer but it would have been nice!)
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank markdelux
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2007

Ive just returned from my second visit to Abbey lodge, my first been in Sept 05 and I gotta say this place is sooo consistant. The rooms, the food, the quality of service, a REAL GEM !!

If youre after an inn with excellent service, nicely appointed rooms with bath and shower, and a teffific location consider the abbey lodge.´

• Liked — Location and quality of rooms
  • Disliked — nothing at all
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Oceanbound100
Tenerife, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2007

This is my first time writing a review of a hotel I have stayed in on trip advisor. I would like to start by saying our trip involved a 10 day west of and south of ireland trip fro Galway to Kenmare.
I originally booked 2 nights at the Abbey Lodge based on a review I read in a spanish guidebook at my local library. I always feel you get a good impression of a hotel when you actually call and speak to the place directly, so I did this. I got a lady on the phone who instantly recognised my accent (spanish with a hint of Leeds in the UK) and greeted me with a big Bonas Dias !

All going well I booked a double room for me, my wife and our 2 year old boy Antonio. The cost came out at 110.00 per night including breakfast, quite fair I thought. Upon arrival we were checked into the house my a mr john king, he turned out to be the owner and indeed a very genuine gentleman. Over the course of the 4 days(we were so impressed we stayed an extra 2 nights) mr king and his daughter (the lady who spoke near fluent spanish) treated us very well. The room was very spacious with a bath and shower, trouser press, hairdryer and a proper T.V.!!!) I can see why Mr King doesnt provide´tea and coffee in the bedrooms and you can see the room we had was very clean.There is a lovely lounge at the front of the house with tea and coffee facilities also what i was most impressed by was the ability of the owners to advise you away from the tourist trap restaurants and bars and give you their genuine recommendations, they even have the menus in this very homely lounge. because of this I would recommend a nice restaurant called Treyvauds which was on the high street.

We met some other spanish people who were on a golf trip who stayed at the abbey lodges sister house and they seemed to have no problem in fact one of the guys (from seville) said his room was so nice that he would bring his wife back for their anniversary. (these guys on these golf trips have it all)

My summary, if you want a place that is only a two minute walk into the town centre, where you will be treated like a king (mr king kept refering to antonio as the little king), where the rooms are well decorated and where you will be treated warmly and respectfully try the abbey lodge. Oh you must ask mr king about the paintings in the dining room, the seven deadly sins.. very funny indeed. This guesthouse is the best I have ever stayed in and I will be back.

Dr Miguel Asturas.
Costa Adeje

• Liked — The owners and the rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
8 Thank Asturas
Leicestershire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2007

We were very disappointed with Abbey Lodge after reading such good reviews here.

We booked in for three nights at the 4-star-rated Abbey Lodge, but when we checked-in, we were immediately shown to our room in the adjoining un-rated guest house called Ardree House. The two houses are owned by the same family and are joined by a glass corridor/breakfast room. While the rooms in Abbey Lodge are worthy of 4 stars, we could see why Ardree house was un-rated. Our room was very tatty, with stained carpets and mould on the windows. There was no power shower and no tea/coffee-making facilities in the room. We could not believe that the owners were getting bookings from the great reviews on this website combined with the description of their facilities on their own website, only to place guests in inferior accomodation (for the same price of 50 Euros per person per night) in their neighbouring house. After we complained, we were moved to a much better room in Abbey Lodge for our last two nights, and (after a bit of arguing) managed to secure a reduced price for our first night.

They don't provide tea/coffe-making facilities in Abbey Lodge either. You have to go down to a communal lounge if you want a cuppa. We were eventually provided with a kettle after we pointed out that as they advertised such facilities on thier website, they were honour-bound to provide them.

We stayed at three other B&Bs in Ireland after reading great reviews on Trip Advisor, and they were all superb. It was such a shame that the owners of these two very different guest houses have decided to merge their business, with the net effect of Ardree Lodge spoiling the reputation of Abbey House. They either need to drastically improve Ardree House, or run the two businesses separately.

So, if you decide to stay at Abbey Lodge, make sure you get a written statement from the owner, saying that you will actually be staying at Abbey Lodge - and be prepared to stand your ground. Alternatively, if you don't want the hassle, stay somewhere else!

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank UrememberThem
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2007

Abbey Lodge had a great location, good breakfast, nice breakfast room and John was a great host. My one piece of advice would be for some renewing of some of the decor in the bedrooms. A simple change to nice clean, bright white comforter and some brighter decor would give a very updated feel to Abbey Lodge that it needs. It has such a charming character about it on the outside and has so much potential inside. Overall though, a very nice, clean and centrally located place in Killarney that I would recommend.

Stayed May 2007