“Lovely hotel but room was smelly”
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Limerick, Ireland
“Lovely hotel but room was smelly”
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My mom and I stayed at the Gleneagle and were both hit with a stench of must and damp when we entered our hotel room....as we were late arriving and we were attending a concert we didnt have time to ask for another room....it was perhaps 6pm and we didnt want to eat a big meal so decided to look for the pub to have a snack and were dismayed that the hotel in the main reception area was closed.....there was an all day bar menu posted outside it but as it was closed we had to go to the (very busy) restuarnt for a starter......the other thing about the room which I thought was highly dangerous was that the window was broken and so could be opened fully so that a child could easily access and fall out of it!! the room was on the third floor....I have emailed this concern to the hotel......it was very busy when we were leaving also so other than fill out the comment card with my concerns I didnt do anything else about them........its a great hotel, the INEC is fab its just a shame that the room was so damp and not exaclty spotless.....and that the bar was closed that evening....

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
We are very disappointed to read this member’s review and it really makes me wonder why if someone is not happy with any aspect of their stay that they do not inform us straight away so we can be given the opportunity to make their stay more comfortable. We do not consider 6pm to be a late arrival and would have been happy to try and help in any way possible.

I’m not sure on what day of the week these customers were here, however if it was midweek then our Green Room Bar located in the Lobby of the Hotel would have been open and serves Bar Food from 12noon – 5.30pm (Not an “all day menu”). After 6.pm they serve light snacks and Sandwiches. Our Main Dining room would have also been open for Dinner (directly behind the reception desk) from 6pm till about 9pm.

They mention they were attending a concert; in this case we would have also had our other Bar – the newly renovated “Backstage Bar” where they probably ate in OD’s restaurant. Our Food & Beverage operations, opening and closing times are all subject to change, based on the business demands and events on each particular week / weekend. I would like to mention that there is always an outlet open for Food & Beverage.

I would like to highlight that the bedroom window was not broken; they were installed within the Health & Safety & fire regulations and are fully compliant.

Our service is one in which we pride ourselves, providing our guests with everything they need under one roof, whether it is a concert in the INEC, a cabaret act in the Ballroom. Just disappoints me when some people do not express there concerns or questions on time in order to achieve what they came away for in the 1st place….. A GOOD TIME and to enjoy themselves…..

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Polish first
cork
Reviewed 19 March 2011

arrived on wednesday was greated by a receptionist expained well were everything was eat in the bar food was really tasty and staff were very efficent. the rooms were very clean and warm had a great stay will return

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
We would like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for they’re positive comments on their recent stay.

We are delighted to hear they enjoyed they’re stay and very much appreciate them taking the time to share they’re positive feedback with everyone and we hope to welcome you back soon.

dundalk
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Stayed here in the gleneagle most of the staff where nice and helpful but serior management would talk to you as if you where something off there shoe when i asked to speak to there general manager John Dolan by phone or email he was to busy to speak to me or so i was told. The standard of the hotel has fallen big time from when the days it would of been classed as the best hotel in Ireland now you could not even rated this hotel Kerry is a lovely part of Ireland but my advice is not to stay here.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gerryDundalk
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2011
In reply to this comment I just wish to say that we are fully aware that this report is directly related to a very recent report which I have already responded to.

I find it extreme when a couple have to each write a report slandering a Hotel and staff when it is not deserved. None of our Staff would ever speak to customers in the manner that this trip advisor member has suggested and all our Management team have been working in this Hotel for many years.

This gentleman had an issue in the Hotel and was dealt with in a professional manner on the night in question. He did not accept the explanation from the manager on duty on the night resulted in taking the issues up with 2 other managers. Still unsatisfied with the explanation given and apologies this gentleman has chosen to try to advise people to stay away from our Hotel on Trip Advisor…

Here at the Gleneagle, we take pride in our honesty and professionalism when dealing with any issues that may arise. If we are at fault in any way we would be the first to admit this and try to rectify the situation and do our utmost to resolve the problem and ensure that the customer is happy and if necessary amend existing operational standards. It is very disappointing to read comments like the above as it does not reflect a true picture of our hotel and staff.

I would advise any readers of this trip advisor’s members review to disregard it and to come see for yourself what a wonderful hotel we have along with it’s truly professional polite staff. We have many of customers who are always 100% satisfied with they’re stay here many of whom return at least 3 or 4 times a year and many who have been coming here for over 50 years that we are in operation.

I would urge any readers who may have concerns about coming to stay in our hotel having read this comment, please feel free to contact me in advance of your stay and I’m sure you will, like many other people, be very pleasantly surprised…

Regards

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I had heard so many good reviews about The Gleneagle that i couldnt wait to stay there! But i was very dissapointed with the standard of the rooms,the hotel itself was nice enough,but the rooms really need updating,the toilet could have done with a bleaching & having the shower in the bath with a grotty shower curtain!? And as for the towels,sandpaper would have been softer!! Also you cant regulate the heat in the rooms yourself,so they had the heat on full blast all night!!! Even with the balcony doors open it was way too hot...to which i fainted with the heat & cracked my teeth on the bathroom floor!! I will be going to Killarney again,just not to The Gleneagle.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loniy
GlenGuestRelations, Public Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
We would like to express our disappointment for failing to reach this Trip Advisor Member’s expectations during their stay with us.

The Gleneagle is a significantly older hotel and the building has evolved much over the years. All our rooms are cleaned everyday and are not dirty by any means they may be older in décor and some a bit more dated than others however we are constantly striving to refurbish and improve these rooms with soft refurbishments. In the time I have been working for this Hotel I have never had a complaint about the towels being like sandpaper….Had they informed us of their complaint we would have certainly supplied new towels or tried to get fluffier towels for them.

We are very disappointed to read this member’s review. Had they made their dissatisfaction known to a member of our Management during their stay we may have been able to make their stay more comfortable.

It also concerns me that they say they fainted and cracked their teeth in the Bathroom and never reported this to a member of Management. There is always a Manager on Duty in the Hotel to assist with any issues that may arise especially if medical assistance was required. And we have no record to say this has been reported to anyone.

Regards
Dundalk, Ireland
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Having listened to my partner about how great your Hotel was , I finally got the chance to stay there in January, and I have to say its not a place I'd like to revisit.
Working in the Hotel industry I was very aware of the Hotels reputation and I was really delighted that I was being taken there for my Birthday treat. Upon arrival the Hotel was lovely, with a big spacious lobby, comfy sofas and a nice welcoming fire in the Bar. The receptionist was very nice and told us of the dinner special which we had to buy voucher at reception before we dined. The first night we ate in the Bar and the food and staff were lovely, we even joined in with the old time dancing and had great craic. But close to the end of the night there was a discrpancy over the price of a Hot Port, which really isnt my issue but how the matter has been dealt with since is. A lovely bar manager offered his apologies and a gentleman, who gave his title as assistant deputy general Manager, got involved. Its this persons behaviour which I find most unacceptable. He was quite short with my partner and bordeline rude at how he handled the whole situation. I myself stayed out of the matter as I had a very bad Flu and just didnt have the energy to deal with such a person.
We stayed away from the Bar on the second night and decided to eat in the restaurant , taking up the offer of 3 courses for 20 euro if voucher bought at reception. So as our route to the restaurant was past reception we decided to get the voucher first. There was a gentleman on the desk, who was quite off hand with me. He asked if the restaurant knew we were coming and proceeded to ring them to see if still serving, still only 8.45pm, so even I knew that they should still be serving , let alone a Hotel employee. Then he sold us the voucher and off we went to the restaurant with the knowledge they were expecting us. When we got there we had to wait at the door for about 10 minutes while we watched all the staff have a chat behind the Bar area , while looking over in our direction. Eventually we were seated and our meal was rushed through as some the the restaurant area was going to be used for viewing that nights entertainment. So after the previously nights experience we didnt stay around for the entertainment and left the next morning.
My Partner tried to email the Hotel, several times, to make them aware of our experience, but all emails were unable to deliver. He then rand the Hotel and spoke to a Lady who seemed to be concerned about our experience, and wanted him to send an eamil throught to her via facebook. Which he did. This was greeted by an abusive phone call from the same "gentleman" who claimed to be the Deputy General Manager.
I have to say I'm totally disappointed and discussted by how this matter has been dealt with.
How dare the very Person we had issue with be given our phone number and be allowed to rant abuse down a phone at my Partner. I think a course in Customer Service and perhaps better staff selection would work wonders in this Hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2011
As the Guest Relations Manager, firstly I wish to thank this member for they’re positive comments in relation to the Hotel. I am fully aware of this Trip Advisor Member’s stay in the Hotel and the alleged “discrepancy” in the price of the Hot Rum. I know it is mentioned that “this was not the issue but the way in which it has been dealt with since”…

I understand that everyone is entitled to post whatever comments they wish on Trip Advisor, however in this case I wish explain to other trip advisor members the Hotels explanation on this review.

I agree there was a discrepancy with the charging for Hot Rum’s purchased during the first day of this member’s stay.
The member’s Partner was actually undercharged during the early part of a shift for Hot Rums purchased. When the staff changed over the later staff member charged the correct price for the beverage ordered. This resulted in the initial complaint. This was fully looked into at the time and this explanation given to the member by several different staff in the hotel over the whole length of there stay. An apology and explanation was offered on the night along with a complimentary drink as a token gesture but was turned down.

It was myself that had the phone conversation with the customer when hey called the Hotel after a few weeks to make further complaints and I found the customer to be “borderline rude” to myself. They were giving out to me for not receiving a reply to their emails that they claimed they sent. Again I offered an apology and an explanation and confirmed that we never received any emails relating to this incident as it is our policy to reply to all correspondence within 5 days.
I tried confirming what email addresses they had sent the emails to and informed the customer that they had incorrect email addresses for both myself and the General Manager and this is possibly why we did not receive them. I was then threatened with the statement that they were going to go on Facebook and Trip Advisor and take it further.

I also wish to add that I never asked to be contacted through Facebook however it was later discovered that another member of staff was contacted on Facebook through her own personal Facebook account in relation to the same incident and received a number of messages on her own personal Facebook account.

It was at this stage that our Deputy General Manager contacted this member and in MY presence rang this customer and by no means “ranted abuse” down the phone.
I would once again wish to offer an apology to this customer for any hardship felt. This is not what we are about and it greatly disappoints me when people are allowed to write such reports and lead other people to believe that we are in need of Customer Service Training or better staff selection. I feel that in some situations if the customer was a little more understanding and reasonable it leads to greater fulfillment and enjoyment of what is supposed to be an enjoyable break away.

Kind Regards
Caroline Papin.
Boston
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Just got back a stay at this hotel. I was shocked at the conditions of the apartment that I was in. The carpets were stained and dirty, the shower curtain was disgusting, and the beds were very uncomfortable. Our electricity kept going off; warranting an electrician to come to our apartment to fix the issue and the oven rattled so bad that we didn't finish cooking the chicken we put in it.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank RincenaTravel
I would like to acknowledge this Trip Advisor members comments in relation to their recent visit to our Riverside Apartments. The issues that were mentioned have all been raised and highlighted to the Executive Accommodation Manager and all comments taken onboard and are being dealt with presently.

This is by no means are usual standard as many other Trip Advisor members have posted very positive comments recently on the Apartments and the enjoyable stays they have had. I would like to offer sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and should this member ever return to our Hotel please fell free to contact me directly in advance so I can ensure a more positive experience next time.

Kind Regards
Co Tipperary
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Lovely hotel, had a family room, plenty big. Has two kids with us and they had a baby pantry so we could make bottles and store them and they proved a coth, bouncer and play mat. Hotel staff very nice. Good stay for a family. My daughter loved the pool and the indoor paly area.
Excellent value and meals included. Great choice.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2011
We would like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for your positive comments on their stay. Our aim to please all our customers and ensure that they have a very memorable stay.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you again for your lovely warm comments, and will share your comments with all the team who do fantastic job and this is one of the many reasons we were voted best family friendly hotel in Ireland. Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you all back soon, please feel free to contact me in advance of your arrival next time.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back.