“Apartments top class!”
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We stayed down for the rally weekend, overall we had a good experience and found them to be great value for money when travelling in a group. It is well located not far from killarney town and had excellent nightlife. Friendly and helpful staff on site.

We had two apartments booked, both clean spacious and comfortably would sleep up to ten people i would say! There was a double and a single bed in one room and two singles in the other which had the ensuite which was annoying, i thought it would have made more sense to put the ensuite with the double bedroom?

Anyway we had a very restfull nites sleep considering there were alot of young men having a fun weekend in most neighbouring rooms!

One complaint would be that the rooms are very very warm, even leaving windows open all day ( we were in top floor apartments luckily if not i would of prob suffocated in my sleep) the room was still far too hot... i am one of those people who is always cold but even i was roasted!

I also liked that the apartments had milk, butter, bread, jam and washing up liquid for our arrival which was a nice touch! However there was no mop available??

I will most definately be staying next year and will recommend to our friends! Thanks for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor apartment!
  • Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Mayhem3114
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2011

I wish to say a very special thanks to this trip advisor member for your lovely comments on our Gleneagle Riverside Apartments.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back

Many Thanks

Reviewed 3 May 2011

This hotel has a most bizzarre reservations system. I made a reservation by telephone but my request for an email confirmation was surprisingly turned down as the reservations department could only send confirmation by post or text. A hotel that can't send an email confirmation in this day and age??!! I was told text would be the best option but it never arrived. Called back two days later and was told it was the front desk that was responsibile for sending out text confirmations. Rang again almost a week after reservations were made - was told there were still problems with sending text confirmations (how hard can it be?) - gave up chasing as credit card statement shows deposit had been charged.

Well this is my second stay at this hotel - and likely to be the last. On both occasions, we had returned to the room which had been cleaned but had NO towels at all in the bathroom (housekeeping having removed the used ones). Not very helpful to be told they had run out and are waiting for towels to be sent from the laundry if you are in need of a shower after a morning's exercise.

I would strongly recommend potential guests to BYOB - Bring Your Own Bathtowel!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

I would like to offer sincere apologies to this customer for firstly not having someone act on your request for an Email confirmation. I can understand 100% why they say they can’t understand in this day in age why it could not be sent…..

Of course it is possible as we operate our own website plus on many third party websites where an automatic email is sent to the customer. However with direct phone booking to our call center we just have not had the demand for email confirmations as we have always posted them in writing and recently just launched our mobile phone text confirmations, which a lot of people seem to like.

This issue has been addressed within our group call center and I can assure anyone wishing to receive email confirmation going forward can certainly do so.

In relation to the Towels in the room I feel this comment to be a little unfair and by NO means do customers have to bring their own towels. Yes, it may very well have happened that the Housekeeper may have ran out of towels and was waiting for some more to be brought up from the Laundry and is something that can happen in any hotel not just here. Had this customer dialed reception and we could have had towels delivered straight away from another Housekeepers trolley.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 1 May 2011

Excellent ! Very enjoyable. The hotel was located right next to the city centre, and the beautiful landscapes. It was the perfect place, and the sun shined the whole time of our trip. The best facility of the hotel was the teen club. They made loads of friends, and spent most of their time there. It has excellent faciliteis and is run by a lovely man named Dieter Gogsch, who made all the kids feel welcome and have a great time. I will definately be back.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

We would like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for your positive on your recent visit to the Gleneagle. We pride ourselves on our service and our aim to please all our customers and ensure that they have a very memorable stay.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback. Unfortunately we find that a lot of people tend to only post the Negative comments and therefore give people the wrong impression of what we really have to offer here. As the Guest Relations Manager, I get so much Positive feedback and see people returning many times as they absolutely love the Hotel and warm friendly staff we have. I know people that have been very loyal customers for over 20 years and families that have returned purely because of the fantastic experience they’ve had here and the range of facilities and Kids Club activities we run during Summer & special holidays.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon again and if I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate in contacting me.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 26 April 2011

like the last reviewers we were booked in to gleneagle for easter as well but checked out on the sunday morning over the noise and the fact that we didnt even get to sit in the bar to have a drink as we were told to leave as we had our 12 year old son wit us he was in the games room but gouldnt stay there ?? we went to resident bar but had to stand so ended up in the lobby for the night . My husband went up to reception to check out and cancelled the next nights stay as we werent happy with the situation it ruined a much looked forward to weekend and would never stay again

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

I would like to say how disappointed I am for customers experience over their Easter break with us at the Gleneagle, especially having seen that they had 2 very positive comments posted on Trip Advisor following previous stays with us. I can only apologize for the fact that they felt the need to check out earlier than planned.

I know the Easter weekend was very busy as we had a variety of entertainment on throughout the hotel all weekend, the major one being the Jedward concert which, as we all know attracts many young children.

We are an award winning hotel for Families and for being child friendly as these customers have experienced on past visits and we always welcome children in the bar when accompanied by their parents for our residents entertainment, however this particular night the residents entertainment happened to be in the Green Room Bar due to the fact that the Ballroom was occupied with another event – a country music dance. This was an external promotion which had an admission fee but at the same time was open to all residents also had they chosen to attend this.

Our newly renovated Backstage Bar is suitable for children and families however is an adult entertainment venue from 9pm. I am saddened that these customers say they will never stay here again due to one experience and more so as they know what a genuinely great family hotel we truly are. Should these customers decide to change their minds in the future please contact me directly and I will gladly do my best to ensure there have a great time and leave with memories for all the right reasons…..

Reviewed 22 April 2011

Very friendly reception staff - even though we arrived early and our room was not ready,they made a special effort to allocate us a family room straight away.Rooms are very clean,although a bit dated and worn.Pool was great - there were only 6 people in it when we were there and we really enjoyed the music! On our way to the pool,we passed a computer area,and some teenagers had thrown their sweet wrappers all over the floor and it was quite dirty looking and the chairs they had been using were thrown about.I could not believe it when on our way back at about 8pm,it had all been cleaned up,not a sign of any dirty papers about and all the chairs had been straightened up again.Walking through the foyer,I then saw someone polishing tables! This hotel may be a little frayed around the edges,but the staff try very hard and it really is spotlessly clean!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2011

We are delighted to read this review and wish to say a special Thanks to this Trip Advisor member.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and the Leisure Centre. We are a 3 star Hotel and very proud of our product & service we provide and we are constantly upgrading and renovating our Hotel.

We are here to please and to do our utmost for the customer, so it’s lovely to get this positive feedback and I will share with all the team, who will all be very proud.

Thanks Again and Much Appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 13 April 2011

Value for money, good accommodation ,excellent food,brilliant entertainment, quick at sorting out any complaint, in our case a broken shower head.

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

We would like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for your positive comments.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and these few lines really sums up our hotel…. So nice when people take the time to post their positive comments. Thank You so Much from all the team here at the Gleneagle we all appreciate it.

Reviewed 10 April 2011

First off, I will give the good points about this hotel. We were there for the peppa pig show which was very good. The entertainment in the hotel at night was excellent having a few different acts to go and see such as jazz band, country music or trad sessions. I also have to commend the lad that works on reception as when we arrived we weren't happy with our room which I will go into further on but he gladly helped us and moved us to another room.
To the bad points. When we arrived, the room we were given was very outdated. With a toddler, we had to traipse up three floors and I found the large window to be frightening as some of ye may know what toddlers are like. The room was roasting hot, and when we couldn't turn the rads off, we went to reception as my little girl was burning up. We were simply told by a rude receptionist that there was nothing they could do, the knob on rad was broke and anyways "we have to cater for the older age group who stay in the hotel who like to have nice heat" - so we mulled for an hour and simply decided if we weren't switched rooms we were leaving to stay elsewhere so the nice lad at reception gladly assisted us and gave us a room on the bottom floor which was nice and shaded.

This room was again very outdated and had rust on the shower rails and curtains but we were happy it was cooler than the previous room. We were suprised at the lack of information supplied to attractions etc in the town and surroundings. Breakfast at the hotel was lovely, all the waiters were lovely and assisted us in anyway they could.

There was broken glass all over the grounds outside the hotel which was very dangerous for a toddler who loves running around. The swimming pool was filthy, I could feel the grit on my feet which was disgusting. There was some childs poo on the floor of the changing rooms.

Also I found the noise level was a disgrace. Where we were in a family room, there was a crowd of hens and stags in the rooms beside us and the noise lasted till 3am. When we rang reception about the noise levels, we were told they have to cater for these people too. I found it odd that they have to cater for older people and hens and stags but can't cater for young families? But then again, it was the same rude girl on reception so we didn't expect much else from her.

My mother and father in law who usually stay in the royal hotel in town, decided to join us in the gleneagle also swore never again. Their disabled daughter had to walk right across the carpark as they only have two disabled spots which were constantly occupied which baffles me when the hotel has a couple of hundred rooms and then they have several "reserved" spaces outside the door for people of importance I assume.

As they booked online and are not up to date with booking online for hotels etc, the didn't specify on it that they had a disabled person staying which I agree isn't the hotels fault but the hotel weren't a bit accomodating when they went to reception to ask for a room change as their daughter couldn't get in and out of the bath for a shower. We also had a few drinks in the room one night as the bar was full, the glasses remained in the room until we left. The cleaner obviously had an allergy to glass.

When we went to leave our keys back, the key was quickly taken from my hands without a "did ye enjoy your stay" etc. The receptionist was too busy gossiping with her colleagues.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. It needs serious reception staff replacement, the rooms need to be updated, the outside needs to be cleaned from broken glass and the pool needs to be scrubbed.

2  Thank jussy2011
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2011

The only thing I can say to this Trip Advisor Memebr is, to please conact me directly to discuss this in detail with myself as there are many issues here that we would like to investigate further as without certain information we cannot action some of the points mentioned.

Shame they never asked to speak to a Manager on duty prior to departure to discuss their feedback.

GuestRelations Manager