“Over-priced, Outdated and Rude”
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We arrived about 2am on a wet and cold night after a 7 hour journey (We had informed the hotel that we would be arriving late) to be greeted by door staff from the 'Backstage Bar' who made a smart comment about the time and didn't offer us any help with luggage or finding reception. Check-in went smoothly. We got to our room, in which the decor was extremely outdated, nothing like the pictures on the website!! But everything was all very clean. The saturday morning when we went down for breakfast we gave our room number but had to wait to be called for a table. When we did get called and in to the breakfast room there were approx. 6 or more tables empty - why did we have to wait?? The showers were good and hot but the old shower curtain made the bathroom get quite wet. Phoned reception to ask for an iron, waited over half an hour and phoned again. Waited another half hour or more and still no iron so i ohoned again and eventually got one, it's a good job I wasn't in a rush out to a meeting or event! Had a great night on the saturday night, stayed in the hotel and bar staff were all very friendly, toilets were nice and clean etc. Breakfast was a bit better the next morning except for one member of staff we heard cursing a group of people for sitting at a table that she had not yet set up - very rude and unprofessional! Check out went smoothly. All-in-all, an average hotel, I think you should be more honest on your website about the decor in your rooms and the price was definitely too high for the service we got. I don't think i would stay at the Gleneagles again.

1  Thank Caoimhe O
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear Guests,

I am extremely disappointed for failing to reach this Trip Advisor Member’s expectations during their stay with us.

I am quite surprised that you found our Staff to be rude this is not something we hear on a regular basis as the top compliment we receive here is about the staff and how great they are here.

I am sorry for the delay with Breakfast on the Saturday morning, sometimes when the Hotel is fully booked we could have up to and over 700 people staying at one time and it sometimes occurs that on weekends many people wish to have a lie in and then tend to all turn up at the same time for breakfast. Our Breakfast starts at 8am and runs normally till 11am at weekends however the Restaurant cannot seat the whole hotel at one time therefore sometimes there are delays if everyone arrives together. These delays are not normally very long as the staff turn the tables round as quickly as possible. In answer to the question why you had to wait ??? It is possible that there may have been tables for larger numbers then two, for example if there is a table for 4 or 6 people the restaurant will try to fill those tables in order to maximize the numbers and seat tables of 2 at a table for 2 people…

I can only apologise for the fact that you had a delay in receiving the iron & ironing board this is unfortunate, it may just have been a very busy period and all House Porters may have been extremely busy at this time, again I wish to apologise..

I am truly sorry that these customers feel they would not return again and would have appreciated them making their comments known to me or any Duty Manager prior to departing so we could have apologized directly and reassured them that should they ever decide to return that they would not have these complaints again.

Kind Regards
Caroline Papin,

There are newer reviews for Gleneagle Hotel

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was among 800 attending a conference and even in the midst of catering for 800 they managed to provide delicious gluten free food with grace and ease. There was a no fuss friendly atmosphere throughout the hotel and staff always willing to help to make our stay more comfortable.

1  Thank Finn62
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Dear Guests,

On behalf of all the staff here at the Gleneagle Hotel and the General Manager I wish to convey our sincere gratitude to you for not only taking the time to post your lovely review but also for sharing with every member of staff who was working during this conference a truly memorable experience…

We have catered for so many various kinds of Events / Conferences / Banquets & Seminars here at the Gleneagle Hotel & Killarney Convention Centre, however this conference really had a huge impact on all our team and it was an absolute honor and pleasure to have played a part in what was a very successful event.

It was one event where everybody just gelled together and it was such a pleasure to deal with such a large number of genuine fabulous people.
So we would also like to thank everyone who attended this conference for providing us with very fond memories and we certainly would love to host this event in the future.

With Kind Regards
Guest Relations Manger

Reviewed 22 April 2012

just organized a conference with 800 people at the Gleneagle and Brehon hotel

it was really excellent vegetarian food, which they went to great length to make very interesting and plenty of it !
and the staff couldnt have been more helpfull!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

We would like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for your positive comments.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and these few lines really sums up our hotel…. So nice when people take the time to post their positive comments. Thank You so Much from all the team here at the Gleneagle we all appreciate it.

Regards

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I recently visited Killarney with friends on an Ulsterbus Tour and we stayed in the Gleneagle Hotel
I had been told many wonderful stories about visits by others who had stayed so I was hoping we would not be disappointed.
From the moment we arrived we met kind efficent staff looking after all our needs.Reception staff were welcoming and helpful advising us about our rooms. One room was not quite ready but the call was made very quickly to advise its availability for the occupant.
Two rooms were refurbished very nicely and the third room was not but the occupants were told it was on the list for update. They had a most beautiful view to compensate for the furnishings and decor.
The dining room ran like clockwork with a team of pleasant capable staff managed by Ricky.
The menu was very adequate and varied each evening and each course was delivered to the table without delay. We loved having an individual dish of vegetables with our main courses.
A starter , main and dessert was served each evening followed by coffee or tea. The food was of excellent quality just as i had been told by many previous guests.
There are two sittings each evening, 6pm and 7.30pm. For a special occasion the booking staff will try if possible to accomodate a change of time but guests were understanding if this was not possible due to the numbers going through for meals.
There was music each evening and this was pleasant to listen to, and to admire the dancers who took to the floor.
We also used the pool, steam and sauna and they were clean and enjoyable.
I had 2 small problems in my room and they were rectified immediately , once reported.
We all enjoyed our trip to this hotel and would be happy to recommend it and we certainly look forward to another visit.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

WOW …. What a lovely review !!!! Thank you so much on behalf of all the team here at the Gleneagle for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay. It is very much appreciated and means a lot to us.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hopefully one day will return to visit us again.
I have got to know so many customers that travel regularly with the Ulsterbus tours and love to see all the familiar faces returning, it’s like seeing Friends return…

So I really hope you decide to return and if you do, be sure and make yourself known to me, I like to put faces to people and once again sincere thanks for taking the time to make your review on Trip Advisor.

Kind Regards

Guest Relations Manager.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Looking for somewhere to go with kids this is the place, lovely hotel stayed for 2 nights over Easter in a family room, double and 2 singles, plenty of room, tea/coffee facility in room. Staff very nice and welcoming throughout the hotel, big swimming pool warmest pool ever been in, lots of sections for swimmers and non swimmers, congrats to lifeguard who dived in and saved young girl in deep end while Dad in jacuzzi!! Great pitch and putt course, squash and tennis courts too. Pool and hockey table to keep older kids happy. Didn't use kids club. Lovely breakfast and food in bar, very relaxing when everyone is happy, will definately be back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. This is exactly what the Gleneagle is about. We are delighted you had such a good time and thank you so much for the very honest and positive review.

Hope you get to visit us in the near future.

Many Thanks & Kind Regards

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed in The Gleneagle as I was down for the teachers conference. I have to say i was very dissappointed. while we were expecting basic rooms, the decor that greeted us was awful. We were staying on the 3rd floor. The room did not look at all like the pictures on the website, and while they are under refurbishment it should be stated that not all room s look like this.While the room was clean, the curtains and bedpreads were very dated and faded. I felt I was in 1985! The bathroom was shabby with a rusty shower curtain pole, the shower was difficult to regulate and then came off in our hand! the corridor was equally shabby with seriously chipped paint on the corners. We did complain about our room and we were upgraded to The Brehon which was out of this world. I realise this hotel is 3 stars but I have stayed in plenty of three star hotels in Ireland both old and new and this was like nothing i has seen before. I feel people should be aware of what they are getting to make an informed choice.

On a positive note I have to say contrary to other reviewers the service was excellent. When we did complain they were very apologetic and helpful. Aldso the service in the bars and resaturants was very good as was the food. I did not use the leisure centre so I cant comment. Anyway I would not stay here again, there are plenty of other hotels in Killarney, which are not that much more expensive and are tons better.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
GlenGuestRelations, Public Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Dear Guests,

I am sorry to hear you were so disappointed with the room on this occasion, as mentioned we are in the process of redecorating rooms and have long term plans continuously in operation here. We have just completed the redecoration of some Rooms and have further plans to continue decorating on more throughout the year.

I would like to Thank you for your positive comments , we have an amazing team of staff here who are always more then willing to go out of their way to ensure Guests are happy and satisfied and who take pride in their roles and responsibilities. So praise where praise is due and sincere gratitude is offered to you for highlighting those comments.

Should you have the occasion to visit again in the future please contact me directly and I will endeavor to ensure that you are allocated a nicer room next time.

With Kind Regards

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Two very active boys(10 and 11) were busy and happy for four days. During the day they swam, played football, pool, tennis and golf. One evening they went to a Jedward concert and other evenings they went to teen zone(8 years+) where Dieter and Mark entertained them with quizes, Playstation etc. One of the highlights for the boys was an inflatable slide which appears occasionally in the swimming pool.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula_Beatty

Thank you so much for your very positive recent review, I have shared this with all the team and we are very grateful to you for taking the time to do so.

We are delighted your two boys had such an amazing time and hope they enjoyed the Jedward Concert…. Always a great hit with the kiddies…

Many Thanks from Myself & all the team here at the Gleneagle Hotel.

Regards