“Obviously not as good as it was”
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 12 June 2008

Hi all

Stayed in the gleneagle hotel back in 2003 with my son who was then just over a year and husband, we had a great time, we had stayed previously in 1999 and deceided to go back because we didn't want to go abroad that year ........here comes the BUT.... last year we had a new born baby and my husband insisted on going back to the gleneagle instead of going to the sun so i rang hotel made our booking, paid deposit and got al conformation in the post about ten days after booking was made got a phone call to say that they could not accomadate us because a group had booked the hotel for that week the girl in reservations had made a mistake (which i know can happen we are al human), but they made no effort to accomadate us even at a later date at the same money , they gave us a price in a different hotel but when i rang the hotel i could get it €200 cheaper after two days of phone calls there last offer was to give me back my deposit and two tickets to see Michael Flatley (not my taste at al).. was very disappointed with their attitude and overall handling of the situation and have heard , after telling people of this, that the hotel has become quite independant. Needles to say would never consider going back there and after reading al the reviews it may have been a blessing in disguise.

Stayed: June 2003

Reviewed 1 June 2008

As others have mentoned, this hotel has seen its better days. Today it is downright shabby, the rooms gloomy, and things don't work. On the plus side, the resturants are decent and the staff quite helfpul.

To add insult to injury, when I checked out the hotel converted their euro charge into dollars -- but at their own conversion rate, which was quite unfavorable compared to what I would have gotten on my own credit card. Essentially, they added a sneaky surcharge onto the bill.

I had a few extra days to spend in Killarney and I went down the street to the Riverside Hotel, which was much nicer and cheaper.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 1 June 2008

our room was very dated and had not been upgraded.

I would like the manager to answer question about no teamaking facilities as i read on this website that there was complimentary facilities in the lounge. We were told no there was not and were charged 2.50 euros per cup.

Also do not buy wine in this hotel in the restaurant as you cannot get a bottle under 22 euros it is a rip off.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2008

Stayed in this hotel recently with my 8 year old daughter and it was a nightmare, first our luggage went missing and then we couldn't sleep because of the noise of the band that started at 10 and the noise didn't die down until 3am. I complained in the morning but was just told it would be passed on to management. E-mailed in the next day to complain and it was ignored, e-mailed a second time and they said they were looking into it. Then I received a very unsatisfactory reply by letter...........would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2008

I stayed in The Gleneagle Hotel in Killarney to attend a show last weekend, and I was extremely disappointed with my stay. While the staff were very friendly the overall look of the hotel was extremely dated and very old fashioned and taking the lift up to our hotel room was not a pleasant experience as the lift was so old, if you are anyway nervous of lifts I would recommend a ground floor room!!!!! The hotel is in need of a HUGE overhaul, they need to spend a LOT of money to get it up to scratch. I thought the food was not very good in the hotel either.

The INEC venue in the Gleneagle was brilliant and the show was absolutely fantastic but trying to get a drink at the bar in the hotel or at the venue was an experience to say the least, on average you had to wait about 15-20 minutes to get served which irrated a lot of people. The bar staff in my opinion were not trained properly and it was basically a case of sink of swim, I felt so sorry for the staff as it was not their fault they had to work under such bad conditions. The Management in that hotel have a lot to answer for!!!!

My advice to anyone who is thinking of staying in the Gleneagle during the summer or actually any time of the year not to bother unless you want to leave disappointed, I would highly recommed anyone to go to the INEC venue centre very nice and a good atmospher!

Hope this helps!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SaraDalton
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Stayed here as part of package with an event at INEC, hotel is very tired and needs desperately updating, very expensive for what it is, 200 euro/night for 2 persons. For a cheap family weekend it maybe worth it, breakfast poor with little selection, there are cheaper nicer hotels in Killarney.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Sofar46
Reviewed 24 May 2008

We stayed in the Gleneagle Apartments during Paddy's weekend for my hen. We stayed for 2 nights and had spa treatments in the Brehon. The apartments are fabolous, the bedrooms are very spacious one has a double and single bed and the other has a twin. In our apartment the twin room had the ensuite, in another one the main bedroom had it and in the 3rd one the twin had the ensuite but the main bedroom had a connecting door to the main bathroom. What got me is there is a big halway when you come into the apartment, I was expecting to walk straight into a sitting room. The decor is modern throughout. Fully equiped kitchen with oven, microwave etc. The utility has the diswasher, freezer, ironing board, iron etc. You also get a welcome pack on arrival e.g. mini boxes of cereal, bread, milk, butter and jams.

You also have use of the leisure centre in the gleneagle, not that we got to avail of it, sore heads etc.

We booked 3 apartments and they were all lovely. the sitting area is great, 13 of us gathered in one apartment on one of the nights and we all had loads of space.

The Angsana Spa in the Brehon is pure tranquility. The Spa Manager, Martina is lovely and the treatments are absolutely devine. I would definitely recommend both the apartments and the spa.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends