“Mountain to Climb”
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I went to Kerry to climb Corrán Tuathail. I go climbing with a friend from Dublin and as I had little time to have a proper look at what was on offer in the area I simply booked a room in the hotel in which he and his family would be staying - the Gleneagle. If only I had taken the time to read some of the reviews posted here before before booking - the Gleneagle ranks a lowly 34 from 39 hotels in the area. It is quite a big hotel. Bits have been added to it over the years. The view from the bedrooms at the back of the hotel is a sea of roofs of all shapes and sizes. This is clearly a hotel which has evelved to cater for conferences and events, and busloads of passing tourists, especially. Don't expect to get a warm welcome, or be asked if you've enjoyed your stay. The staff seemed efficient enough, but were not particularly friendly. But attitude reflects leadership and the owners of this hotel do not appreciate the needs of individual guests. The decor is very dated. It was reasonably clean other than the odd vomit stain encountered here and there - they were hosting a darts competition on this particular w/end. The bed was comfortable and I had gotten used to the sound of whirring fans outside my bedroom window by the 2nd night. We had breakfast at the hotel on the 1st morning, but as it was lukewarm and barely edible, we ate all our meals in the town thereafter. It is not the hotel in Killarney to stay in if you're looking for comfortable modern surroundings and/or an intimate atmosphere, good food, friendly and welcoming staff etc. In that regard this is a hotel that has got a mountain to climb.

Room Tip: An extra 10 per person for a room with a balcony to the front may be worth it, if you don't fanc...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mac_Dara_69
There are newer reviews for Gleneagle Hotel

Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Brill stay for mid term, Ita was brill with the kids at club. Captain Jack show was fab as well. Def be back again. Kids well catered for. :-) food excellent no need for leaving hotel. Lovely rooms plenty of towels. Everyone need catered for.

• Stayed: October 2013
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Guests

Thank you for writing this wonderful review on your recent visit over mid term with us.
Your comments have been shared with all the team and I know the staff at the Kids Club and Ita are overjoyed as it is always nice to receive some praise and a personal mention and it is well deserved.

We hope you decide to visit us soon again and continue to enjoy some quality family time together here at the Gleneagle.

Many Thanks & Kind Regards

Reviewed 28 October 2013

just returned from a wonderful week at a first class hotel. from day one we were treated so well,the bedroom was outstanding in design and view, the food was 5 star as were the staff. the entertainment was first class. if you want a excellent hotel please stay at the gleneagles hotel you will not be disappointed. i will return in the near future.

Room Tip: stay in the mountain view bedroom
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for your positive comments on your stay with us in August this year and are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay as I see you did in March this year also.

It is so nice when people take the time to share their positive comments and the great experience they had with us on this forum and we are very grateful to you.

Looking forward to your return,

Many Thanks from all the Staff here at the Gleneagle.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Just returned from a 5 day break at this hotel and it was first class. The standard of service was excellent and the staff were always helpful. The room and hotel was always clean. Would return again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for this lovely short but sweet review. We are delighted you had such positive feedback and just hope that you choose to return in the near future to us.

With Kindest Regards

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. There are 5 in my family so we got a family room. It had a lovely bathroom and good interior designing. They have excellent facilities including leisure facilities, a shuttle bus to go to the town, many restaurants and even a shop! We forgot our toothpaste so this came in handy. They also have a salon but my family didn't use this. Overall it is a great hotel and I recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Guests,

Many thanks to you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent visit to the Gleneagle, and for highlighting your positive experience. As many guests tell us we have “everything under the one roof” and that it’s like Home from Home staying here.

We hope you don’t leave it too long before your next visit and should I be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate in asking.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I have stayed in Gleneagle many times over the years and was always satisfied with my breaks but sad to say on this occasion I left feeling bitterly disappointed .myself and my husband stayed in room 527 from 23 to 26 th of august.The room we were given was looking out onto the roof that was not the problem the bathroom had a tiny freestanding sink and nothing even to put toiletries on whole bathroom was grotty .in the bed room there was a filthy armchair .on checking out I mentioned this to staff at desk but didn't get much satisfaction just sorry and we will talk to housekeeping .I did ask them to pass on my dissatisfaction to manager don't know it that happened .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank molly623
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Past Guest

I am sorry that you felt you had to voice your negative feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your stay with us in August this year. I can assure you that your comments and feedback were passed on to the Departmental Managers and the General Manager at our weekly Management meeting as it was in fact myself that you spoke with on check out and as promised to you on the day I did relay your disappointment.

I also recall mentioning to you that had you made us aware on the Friday 23rd that you were so unhappy with your room that we could have certainly offered you a alternative room and ensured you were 100% satisfied, however upon hearing your of your dissatisfaction on the Monday on check out it is very difficult for us to rectify any issues or help make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable.

There is always a team of staff and a Manager on duty at all times 24 hours a day and if a guest brings any issue to our attention there is always someone on hand to help make things better and our main concern is to ensure that our guests are satisfied and enjoy every aspect of their stay.

We are extremely saddened that you did not raise your comments with us on your first day and give us the opportunity to ensure you left on a more positive note.

Should you decide to return in the future please contact me directly and I will ensure you are allocated a room that you are fully satisfied with and that you have a more positive experience.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We have just returned from a weekend in the Gleneagle Hotel Apartments. It is a wonderful hotel with excellent facilities and leisure centre for families or couples. Located just outside Killarney, it has a regular shuttle-bus to the town centre which can be very useful because car parking fees in Killarney are expensive. The apartments are located in a quiet part of the hotel complex with free car parking outside the door. They are spacious and clean, fully equipped for long or short stays. Modern design and layout. The disposable bath are a great idea. The only downsides are that for hygiene reasons, it would be preferable to have sheets separating you from the duvet - just having a duvet cover was not nice. Also, I would place instructions for the cooker close to it and if the fridges had a freezer compartment it would be most useful for making ice etc. Apart from that, the apartments are superb and I would recommend them highly.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank road_runner_eire

Dear Guests,

We are delighted at reading your review and most grateful to you for your wonderful compliments.

Your feedback is very welcomed and we are most thankful to you for sharing your experience and suggestions on your recent stay and we certainly look forward to looking after you in the future.

Guest Relations