“Avoid avoid avoid”

Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Avoid avoid avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

For a hotel with a big reputation I was so disappointed with visit to this hotel on Patrick's day. We decided to go have some lunch restaurant was closed so had to eat in bar . Took a seat at a table which I guess was not cleaned during the day . Was 10 min waiting decided maybe I had to order at bar. Approached bar and advised by staff to sit down and they would come over that took another 15 min. Staff was so rude everything was a issue. Food came out cold. It was disgraceful if u have any sense u will avoid here.

Stayed March 2014
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guests,

I wish to sincerely apologise for the poor service you received on St Patricks Day. I can assure you this was not our usual standard by any means and would be happy to discuss this with you should you wish to contact me directly as unfortunately on this forum I am unable to get your contact details.

I await your contact to discuss further and once again apologies on behalf of all the service team they felt very let down at having read your report as unfortunately what happened on this day was something out of their control.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Spent the weekend at Gleneagles hotel Killarney - youngest daughter was taking part in All Ireland Variety competition. A large group of us stayed from Fri-Monday.
Hotel was well organised, courteous staff friendly and helpful.
Hotel,rooms were reasonably sized(standard) clean and all in good working order.
Staff put up with a lot of young children from the 4 large groups who took part.
Hotel is very spacious and has plenty to offer for young and older.
Not too far from the town where theres an abundance of hotels bars restaurants and plenty of scenic activities to take in
Enjoyable stay, would plan to go back again
Paul

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guests

I would like to say a very big thank you to you for such a wonderful report on their recent visit for the All Ireland Variety Show Competitions.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and our sincere thanks and gratitude to you for taking the time write this review and for your lovely comments in relation to the staff. I hope your Daughter did well in the competitions and hopefully you get to return to visit us in the near future.

Many Thanks
Kindest Regards

Letterkenny, Ireland
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,043 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

While in Belfast before Christmas, I seen a notice in the window for a 5 day, 4 night tour to Killarney including B&B and evening meal in this hotel for 199 Pounds PPS, and thought it was great value. I have been several times, but at this price it would be foolish to turn it down. The bus left the Europa Bus Centre at 9.30am, and had us at the hotel shortly after 5pm, and I have to say that it was a lovely trip down.

Our Tour Guide/Driver was Dirk, and he was excellent. He was very knowledgeable, and had a great way about him, and did Ulsterbus proud. Our first stop was The Coachman's Inn at Dublin airport for lunch, followed by another stop in Nenagh at the Fairways Bar, and both places were ready and waiting for us.

The hotel itself was very comfortable, with great staff, and the rooms were lovely. It's a big hotel, and Dirk told us that they started off with 12 rooms, and just kept expanding. Each evening there was dancing in the ballroom, but that's not my cup of tea, so I gave that a miss.

Included in the trip was a tour of the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle peninsula, and an optional trip to Cork for 15 Euro extra, and again our "captain" did a great job, and I enjoyed the 3 of them. Unfortunately the time flew by, and we hit the road on Friday morning, heading back to Belfast, stopping at the Fairways Bar, Moneygall [for photos, thanks Dirk], and the Coachman's.

I was very impressed with the trip, so much so, that I picked up an Ulsterbus brochure to see what else they have to offer. Looking forward to my next trip.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank letterkennycaint
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Guests

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for talking the time to share your experiences and fantastic photos with us. We are delighted to see this review, as it represents the experiences of many of our guests that travel on our Ulsterbus Tours.

Over the years The Gleneagle Hotel and Ulster Bus have developed a wonderful working relationship and we wish to thank all the drivers that do a wonderful job at ensuring everyone is well looked after on the day trips and the journeys to and from the Hotel.

We are blessed here with thousands of wonderful customers who return to us again and again over the years and wish to invite more guests that have been on these tours to also share their feedback and experience on our tours with Ulsterbus.

We really enjoyed the photographs and feel you have a talent that you should be proud of. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. If there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more memorable please feel free to contact me personally.

With Kindest Regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Just back from a 2 night B&B +1D package. I couldn't give the staff of the Gleneagle enough praise. Every single one pleasant and helpful. We were traveling with our 6 month old and nothing was too much trouble. At dinner we were not made to feel inferior because it was included in our room rate (this has been our experience in other hotels). The food was excellent and plentiful. Our room was beautiful, clean and obviously recently refurbished. My only complaint was that we were unable to adjust the heating. Not ideal when travelling with a baby.
On a personal note, we hired a hotel babysitter as we were going to a concert in the INEC. She was fantastic I have never left my baby with a stranger but Claire felt like one of the family and immediately put our minds at ease.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Lauren D
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you so much for your review. This is exactly what the Gleneagle is about and we are delighted you had such an amazing time and thank you so much for the very positive review and for the personal mention complimenting our Babysitter Claire. She really is one of the best you could ever get and is extremely popular during the summer months with the families, many of whom have been regular guests for some time and ring in advance to specially book Claire. We will certainly pass on your compliments to her, she will be delighted.

Hope you get to visit us soon again and please come say Hello and make yourself known to us.

County Donegal, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights with our sons , we got a family room . Its was ok kids room tiny and two bunk beds , old dated tvs and only few stations , decor at front of hotel ok but corridors and rooms badly need new tvs carpets bathrooms and curtains and reallyyyy need new mattresses or softer I didn't sleep either night I was there the floor would of been softer. . Staff were amazing though extremely friendly , we gave our concerns to the manager he listened and was friendly but its an events hotel more than luxury but I still feel every hotel 1 star or 5 star should have comfortable beds , even my kids backs were sore and they would normally sleep anywhere.

Breakfast had great selection but needs to be fresher bacon was like rubber . It was 89.00 for first night and 149.00 for second which I felt after our experience and no sleep we would of got discount and on second night the room was the same and was still a week night . I would of had no problem paying that money , if it was comfortable and felt like we were away but I was delighted to be home to my soft bed lol .... leisure centre big and clean but lifeguards don't seem to be watching other swimmers or kids only who they are teaching . My husband went in with boys and I stalked for the couple of hours , housekeeping staff friendly and rooms spotless so really they deserve more credit because if it had of been dirty , it would of topped it for me ... no more to say really but after nearly 7hrs of a journey back home cant wait to sleep ...

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank laurakiv
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Past Guests

I wish to thank you for your positive comments regarding our staff being so friendly in your review and also from reading your Comment Card that you filled out prior your departure.

We are disappointed however that you were not satisfied with your room, having spoken to your Husband on the phone just after you checked in, I did in fact explain to him that we had very kindly upgraded your room complimentary to a Family Suite with the extra room for the children for a little more privacy. I did explain to your Husband that would he prefer to have a look at a standard family room he was more than welcome but that these rooms did not have the separate room with the bunk beds and he agreed to stay in the Suite room. We have never received such feedback about these rooms or the beds being uncomfortable, perhaps they are just not to your required taste as your beds at home and for this we can only apologise.

We thank you for your comments about the Housekeeping Staff and that you found your room spotless wish to assure you that all our rooms and public areas are cleaned to a high standard therefore we feel it unnecessary to mention the fact that “had it been dirty” as it clearly was not the case.

We are sorry you were disappointed with the Bacon at Breakfast but delighted to read from your comment card you filled out that you found the dinner fabulous. We are a 3 star hotel and very happy that you did find some aspects of your stay worth the visit. Perhaps should you have the occasion to visit us in the future we can fully satisfy your needs and that we can the occasion to rectify the areas that we fell down for you on this occasion.

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

On a whim we booked Gleneagle Hotel, Killarney just to get away for a weekend. We assumed it was going to one of these hotels where you checked in, got a meal similar to a good take-away and take-it-or-leave-it staff.

Were we wrong? We sure were. The weekend was one of those never ceasing heavy rainfall encounters. From arrival to departure the staff could not have been more helpful - we never left the hotel. The food was great and plenty of choice. The room was comfortable and a step better than your average hotel. The bar was excellent. The main entertainment was provided by Dickie Rock who now in his seventies rocked the place, jumped around the stage and on occasion jumped off it. Dickie still is one of Ireland's greatest entertainers.

The hotel bar had its own entertainment on Friday and Saturday nights. This entertainment (singer with pre-recorded music) was good also. Where there were no seats, the staff provided seating without even being asked.

I know in many instances staff of hotels have outward signs of welcoming, but not in the Gleneagle where the staff had a genuine interest in making the weekend an entertaining and friendly one.

Room Tip: The management appear to have a policy that an unoccupied room is non profitable and I think they w...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leprosy
Dear Guests,

We are honoured at reading your review and most grateful to you for your wonderful compliments and for highlighting the great team we have working here at the Gleneagle. We are delighted that you took the time and highlighted all aspects of your stay and more so of the fact that you so well looked after.

Your feedback is very welcomed and we are most thankful to you for sharing your experience on your recent stay and we certainly look forward to looking after you in the near future.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards
From all the Management & Staff at the Gleneagle Hotel
Dublin Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Stayed 2 nights in the Gleneagles Apartments and we loved them, they are very spacious and much more enjoyable than us all crammed into 1 hotel room. The Hotel itself was great for the kids, the swimming pool was very clean and the kids club was good. The entertainment at night time was nothing crazy but just what we were looking for.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guests,

Great to hear you and your children enjoyed your recent visit to our Riverside Apartments. The apartments are indeed a fantastic choice for Families, providing that extra space and option of cooking while still enjoying the use of all the Hotel facilities and Kids Clubs that are on during family holiday periods.

Thank you for your kind compliments and for taking the time to share your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future