“Didn't stay but ate and drank a few times in this hotel”
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We recently had a holiday camping just near this hotel so went several times for drinks and food. It was very busy due the Irish World dancing competition being on, but I get the feeling it's a busy place anyway - lots going on. We drank several times outside the ODs bar and restaurant which is quite a nice bar, but one night we ate there and were very disappointed. The food was not the best and was very overpriced. If you want to eat I would walk over the car park to the Brehon Hotel and eat in the bar, the food looked far better there!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank pauladoody
There are newer reviews for Gleneagle Hotel

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Friendly and efficient check in. The apartments were very spacious and clean and had all mod cons. Ideal for families and group gatherings. The pool was lovely and warm and the food in the Brehon was delicious with very family friendly service. A great base to explore Killarney and surrounding areas.

Stayed: March 2014
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Past Guests,

We would like to thank for your positive comments on your recent stay the Apartments are lovely and spacious and the good part is you get the use of the Hotel Facilities and the Residents Entertainment each night. They are very popular with families especially in Summer time with a Fab Kids Club & activities.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and thank you again for your lovely warm comments and we hope you decide to return soon again.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

My daughter and I stayed 2 nights on 5th floor. Very old decor and was told we had to hire towels for €5 each! Adding insult to injury we had to physically bring towels back on departure to reception for return of deposit once towels weren't soiled. Some staff unhelpful and borderline rude. Needs updating. Would not recommend!!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Biddy71
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Guests,

In response to your review we do not usually charge a towel deposit however the event that you were here for, The Hip Hop Spectrum Event had arranged this policy with the Hotel due to the fact that with over 800 people attending the event the hotel in the past suffered huge losses of money for towels due to damage.

This is not the normal policy of the everyday running of the hotel it was just implemented over this particular weekend however we are looking at alternative options for next year’s event .

I am not sure what staff you came across that you claim were rude and without further information it is difficult for us to investigate this further. We normally only ever receive nothing but positive comments and feedback about our staff so are really surprised at hearing this feedback.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Staff all around very good , but the beds were terrible , pillows worse, a white sheet with 1970s dusty hairy blankets and a throw over them that looked and felt filthy. My eyes and nose streamed all night with the dust off the blankets never slept for one hour , never ever again .

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pamela L

Dear Guests

Thank you for the compliments about the staff, it’s a shame you never reported to us that you had an allergy to blankets as we would have changed them and offered a duvet instead.

I can assure you the blankets are not filthy as we would by no means put dirty blankets on our clean beds, this is not our standard and we can only apologise if our bed was not to your satisfaction and the pillows, this is not a common complaint and to be honest cold have been easily rectified if it had been brought to our attention.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

The rooms were ok, the food not bad, but the wait staff were rude, unaccommodating, even a little nasty...for both breakfast and dinner. The lobby staff were nice, had a good time at the bar, good music...lobby plumbing needed some assistance. LOVED the town, wish we could have spend more time there

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kathy W

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your review we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and you have some very positive feedback on our Front Desk Team & Bar.

Our main concern however is your comments in relation to the waiting Staff. We would have very much appreciated if you had discussed this with us prior to your departure so we could have looked into this in more detail so we could have found out which member of the team let us down on this occasion.

We can only apologise for this and hope that you decide to return to us in the future.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I would have left this hotel a 2 star review; but the service was superb.

Although they did not have hot chocolate, they made a glass for my wife who does not drink coffee. Instead of doing a tour bus for the Ring of Kerry, Caroline at Guest Services gave us some of her favorite recommended spots on the loop and we did the adventure at our own pace. It was her alone that saved our review of this hotel, she was absolutely wonderful and made our stay here.

The hotel is ideally located just down the road from Muckross home and gardens. We enjoyed a reasonably priced Carriage Ride and spent hours meandering the beautiful estate. The ride was worth it to learn about the rich history that accompanied the free walk and gorgeous views.

Even with the outstanding service, without an upgrade to the beds I could not stay here again. I have some back problems, and this was the hardest bed I have ever slept on. Literally, quite literally, our shaggy carpet back home I would consider to beabout as comfortable.

The hotel also seemed to be somewhat of a retirement community. However, this was no bother-just something to know if you are looking for a more energetic atmosphere.

All said and done, for the price, quality of service, and amenities, this is a 4-star hotel. Had we paid more, I would have been disappointed. Without Caroline, alltogether this review would have been the opposite!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Guests,

I would personally like to say a huge thank you to you for taking the time to write this review on your recent visit last week and for the personal mention to myself. It was my pleasure to assist you both and offer my advice on places to visit. I hope you got to enjoy the Ring of Kerry drive and got to visit some of the places I recommended and that you also made it to Blarney & Kinsale as planned..

It is such a shame you were only here for 1 night and that we had not more time to talk and had I known you were not happy with your bed I would have certainly offered you a room move and ensured your you got a bed more comfortable for your back.

I am sorry I never got this opportunity to improve this part of your stay but should you ever have the occasion to visit Ireland again please come stay with us in Killarney and contact me and I will ensure you get the best Night’s sleep and that this does not spoil your opinion of the Gleneagle.

Once again I wish to offer sincere thanks and gratitude to you for taking the time out to relay your experiences on your stay with us. Please feel free to contact me in the future and I will assist in any way possible.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We had a lovely stay in the Gleneagle.
Our room was a good size and the shower was very powerful.beds so comfie.
We had dinner in the bar thought the menu could be better if im honest.
The desserts very over priced i asked for a selection of ice cream 3 small scoops in a bowel more like what you would give a child .
And i think this cost 6.50 euro.
Its a very busy hotel with plenty going on between shows etc.
I loved the breakfast plenty of fresh fruit youurts,brown bread ,scones and of course your fry up.
What i really loved was your toast was allready done so no standing waiting to use toaster which i hate in a hotel.
Very good value hotel to stay in.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tammycorkireland
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Guests,

In response to your review we are delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit and that you found the Gleneagle such good value to stay here, considering the facilities we have here all under the one roof to include the Leisure Centre and the Nightly Entertainment, Gift Shop and Free Parking it is indeed great value.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the Bar Menu on this occasion and the Dessert s, however the ice cream selection is in fact €4.50 and not €6.50 which is in fact pretty reasonable. Great to hear you enjoyed the Breakfast so much and thank you for highlighting this in your review, especially the Toast situation as this has been an issue in the past so delighted to hear that you were happy with this aspect.

We hope you choose to return to us in the future and if we can be of any assistance please let us know and we will be happy to help.

Kindest Regards