“Dinner before an event was horrible.”
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We were scheduled to attend a show a few days ago and decided to eat at the venue. We made a reservation in the Fretz Room at the Gleneagle Hotel reception desk and paid for the flat rate price prior to the meal. We arrived 15 min ahead of time and noticed all the waiters preparing tables. It was nice seeing everyone working so quickly and efficiently. We arrived at 7:15 giving us over an hour til our show. The waiters were more interested in setting the dining room tables than taking drink and appetizer orders from anyone. Then we began to notice the trend. The waiters took all the drink, app & dinner orders for the entire room at once, then brought the apps out all at once. We finished our app before the rest of the room and didn't get anything else brought to us till the entire room receive and finished their apps. Then dinner came out all at the same time. Again, we finished our meal before others received their dinner so we had to wait for the entire room to finished their dinner before receiving dessert. We left before dessert came out since we only had 10 min til the show began. Horrible thing is ..... Dessert was part of the meal price so we lost that part.

The food was disgusting. The gravy tasted like something purchased in a bottle. The meat was very overcooked. The veggies had no seasoning. I actually told my husband this is where people eat when their taste buds die.
I didn't mind leaving dessert behind. My assumption was it wasn't going to be any better.

I have no experience with the other restaurants in this hotel but my experience with this particular one has left me never wanting to visit this place again even if another show I want to see is offered.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guests

We are sorry to hear you had such negative feedback on your recent dining experience, this particular evening was extremely busy and we served nearly 450 Guests dinner prior to the Show.

When we have Groups or Tours in House it is standard procedure for the whole group to be served at the one time, it is for this reason that everybody’s order is taken at once and all served at once.

We are sorry to hear that you felt so disappointed with the meal & service on this occasion, perhaps for future you may enjoy more our sister Hotel the Brehon just next door for a pre show meal in their restaurant Danu.

Sincerest Apologies

There are newer reviews for Gleneagle Hotel

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Hi stayed in this hotel in March for a week of dancing,the staff were amazing and coped easily with the large number of people that were at the event.the room was lovely at it had its own bacalony with views of the surrounding mountains and lake,the decor of the rooms was very good and no signs of wear or tear,if you are after a week of non stop dancing and lovely accomadation then this is the place to be.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests

We are delighted to read this review and wish to say a special Thanks to you for such positive feedback and comments and indeed the personal mention.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and the views of the surrounding mountains.
We are here to please and to do our utmost for the customer, so it’s lovely to get this positive feedback and I will share with all the team, who will all be very proud.

Thanks Again and Much Appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
`
Kind Regards

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I'm just back from a 3 day conference that was held at the Gleneagle Hotel Killarney and have to say it I left with a completely turned around opinion of the hotel. I have to highly commend all staff, from operational to service staff, for the massive organisation and facilities that were provided to ensure the smooth running and services for over 700 delegates.

The banqueting facilities were unbelievable, military precision to make sure that approx 400 people were all served at the same time with outstanding food and service.

I've stayed in other O'Donoghue Family hotels - Scotts Killarney, The Brehon and The Gleneagle Apartments for family holidays/friend getaways on numerous occasions and had our wedding reception at The Maritime, but I never considered staying at the Gleneagle Hotel, not till now. I'll definitely be returning with my family for a break away, they have everything you need to make sure you have a memorable holiday -spacious accommodation, guest bus to Killarney town, right on the doorstep of Muckross Park, leisure centre facilities but most of all the staff who always have a smile and are most helpful.

Thank you for a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Past Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. The conference was a huge success and it was our pleasure to host and ensure that everything ran accordingly to our high levels of expertise in this field.

We certainly hope you get the opportunity to visit us soon again and if we can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate in contacting me in advance.
Once again sincere Thanks for this genuine and honest review.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is a large, busy hotel so don't expect personalised service. Having said that, service was prompt, the rooms were clean and comfortable and there was plenty of parking. There is a huge turnover of guests here so you will feel like part of a production line than a special guest but there is so much to see and do in Killarney that most hotels are just a place to sleep and for that purpose this hotel is fine.
On the negative side, there is no means of controlling temperature in the rooms. I was there on a sunny day (only about 18 degrees) and the room was extremely hot and opening the window was the only means of cooling it down. This was fine until about 6am. I had to have the curtains open or they blocked the cool air from coming into the room. Had to choose between darkness & a hot room or cool air & sunlight. (This was room 418).

Room Tip: I got a cheaper room rate when I phoned reservations directly than was being advertised on with the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CB_Co_Clare
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed here a few nights for a conference, its a huge complex, but to be honest, there are nicer hotels to stay in if you are paying. Our room was ok the bed was huge and comfy, but the curtains had a few holes in them and the bath had a constantly leaky tap and when you had a shower the floor got soaked because the shower door wouldnt stay in place.

there are great facilities for families, swimming pool, kiddie activities, movie nights, spa for mum and close to all the golf clubs for the dads, but, as I said, until the renovations are finished, I would stay in other places.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LetitiaS_71
Reviewed 5 May 2014

It's 430 am and I've decided to write this review to help ensure no one else wastes their money on this once great establishment. It's now our third night and our second without any sleep. It's Rally weekend and we all expect some high jinks but it's obvious now that managements policy now is to fill young people with drink until they are incapable then release them unsupervised onto the remaining guests and bedroom corridors. Here they yell, shout, curse, fall over! Parties begin, are gate crashed, doors are slammed incessantly, the screams of young women are many. In ecstasy or in pain, it's hard to tell give rise to worries about their safety. Calls to reception are acted upon but only until the security leave then 'Party Central' resumes. In the car park outside the arguing and fighting for taxis or just with each other is transmitted through single glazed windows even to the fifth floor to the extent you may as well have ringside seats to the general melee! This hotel used to be quite a spot. I first travelled here over two decades ago. Has the economic situation got so bad that the O'Donoghue family just take money where they can with no thought to repeat custom? With its sister hotel, the Brehon, obviously aimed at the luxury market has the decision been made to let the Gleneagle become a low rent 'knocking shop', if so then their rates would need to reflect that, almost 200 Euros a night for bed, breakfast and evening meal is excessive. But I will never again be paying it. Come morning I will be checking out for the last time, never will I darken its doors and I really hope that unless your another 15 to 20 year old loss to society that you don't waste any of your money on this appalling establishment either.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Paul M
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Paul,

We are very disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations and that you did not get to witness the Gleneagle Hotel for what it truly has to offer.

This particular time every year is an extremely busy weekend as the Rally of the Lakes takes place every May Bank Holiday weekend. It can be a very enjoyable weekend for those who like to follow the Rally and it brings a lot of business and tourism to the whole town of Killarney.

It is very unfortunate that the behavior of some guests happen to spoil what is great weekend for other guests however I can assure you that we always have an extra team of security working for this weekend and our Management Team on duty 24 hours a day and we always do our utmost at trying to control noise levels from guests and did in fact ask some guests to leave the hotel. It is very difficult for us to control people’s behavior however we did all we can to take preventive measures in controlling this and dealt with every situation on a case by case basis.

I am aware that you have spoken to the General Manager since posting this review and that you have stayed with us in the past over the Rally Weekend and I would just like to say that should you ever decide to join us in the future for any occasion to please contact me in advance and I will ensure that you fully enjoy your next visit and that you get to experience what the Gleneagle and all it has to offer for all the right reasons.

Please accept out apologies on this occasion and we ask you to please not let the behavior of some guests on this weekend put you off staying with us in the future.

Kindest Regards

The Gleneagle Hotel
Killarney
Co Kerry.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Our extended family stayed in the gleneagle last weekend to celebrate our dads 90th birthday. They were greeted with the red carpet and Plenty of good wishes from the staff. Dad and mum were treated like royalty for the entire weekend by Caroline and Maura and the rest of the staff. They had a lovely room looking out over to the mountains. Special entertainment was put on for them on the Sunday night by Shay o Callaghan their favourite musician. Dad will never forget his special weekend. Many many thanks to all who made it happen

• Stayed: April 2014
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Karen,

What can I say…? Only a very Big Thank You for taking the time to write such a lovely review on your Family’s weekend stay, for the personal mention to Myself, Maura and Shay and for most importantly choosing the Gleneagle as your venue to celebrate your Dad’s 90th Birthday.

It was our pleasure to look after you all and to make this very special occasion for your Dad and all your family, it’s not every day you turn 90 and we wanted to ensure that it was very special for him and give him the Royal treatment.

It means so much to us that you enjoyed your weekend and once again many thanks from all the staff for your wonderful review, it will be shared with everyone.

Kindest Regards