“free weekend”
Review of Gleneagle Hotel

Gleneagle Hotel
Ranked #28 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 1 September 2014

well we had a great weekend himself and myself, i won two nights bed and breakfast and one evening meal at the gleneagle I must day I was prepared for a really bad time as it has happened to us before on a freebee but I was most impressed, from the time we entered the hote and checked in to the time we left I couldnt say one bad word about the hotel the staff or the food, and believe me I would if I thaught it needed it, I really want to go back there again, food superb from breakfast to the evening meal, entertainment spot on music in every bar so you have a choice, the leisure centre cant fault it spotless the room again spotless bed really comfortable, so good on you gleneagle we will be back and anyone reading this try it I guarantee you its worth it.

Room Tip: you wont have a problem with any room here
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ita D
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2014

Dear Guests,

Thanks so much for this wonderful review, firstly we wish to congratulate you on winning the weekend here and just so thrilled that you fully enjoyed your break. We wish to Thank you sincerely for the wonderful comments about the staff, the food and the entertainment and very proud that you got to witness the Gleneagle for what it truly is and what we have to offer.

We certainly hope you get to visit soon again and if we can be of any assistance please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Arrived at the Hotel on Inclusive Ridlers Coach Holiday. Customer Services Manager boarded the Coiach to give us all information on Hotel Mealtime Ect. Food was excellent lovely modern bedrooms with all ameinities. Very impressed with all the evening Entertainment at Hotel.
Leisure centre was first class with good opening hours Very good public areas around hotel, staff friendly and helpful.Would not hesitate to return for a further visit

Room Tip: Ground floor room very quite
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Dear Guests,

Just to let you know we are truly delighted with your review and can’t thank you enough for sharing your experience and highlighting so many positives that you witnessed. We are so happy you got to experience what the Gleneagle is all about and hope you get to return to us in the future.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Stayed in 2 bed apartment with 3 small children in August. The apartments are great & very spacious. The hotel supplied some basic groceries to keep you going for a few days, milk, brown bread, variety boxes of cereal, butter, jam, tea, coffee, sugar. There were plenty of fresh towels & shower gel & soap. The apartment was serviced 3 times during our 6 day visit. The only thing we ran out of was butter, but got extra off the accommodation staff. Its a nice walk to town, but there is a shuttle bus service provided by the hotel. We used the pool twice (pool temp was colder than we're used too) there was free kids entertainment Mon-Fri, which was great & very interactive (and mum & dad could relax and have a well deserved drink!) the only negative I have is the food, we ate twice in the hotel, in O'D's & Flesk restaurant, it was just ok. I would prefer if the hotel had fresher options (like its sister hotel next door, the Brehon, they had excellent food for kids) but I can appreciate the Gleneagle is catering for a very large number of people. Our compliments to the lovely lady dressed up as Minnie Mouse, she was very good with the kids & went around to see if everyone was ok & if they enjoying themselves, the DJ, Captain Jack & his helpers, the pool staff, the receptionist & the lovely girl in the hotel shop. I would highly recommend to family & friends. Keep up the good work.

Dear Guests
We would like to thank you for your lovely comments on our Gleneagle Riverside Apartments.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to post your review and for highlighting all the positive points you found. We are very grateful and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed there before went again this year was drawn back by the helpful friendly staff,the great food,good entertainment for young and old and how clean it was. lovely hotel but the only fault is they could turn up the temputure of the water in the swimming pool! I thought staff deiter and ita were fantastic.

Stayed: August 2014
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Guests,

Thanks so much for the lovely review complimenting the Staff, Food & Entertainment and for the personal mention about Dieter & Ita, they will be delighted with this and will be shared with all the Team.

Apologies for the fact you found the pool temperature a bit low I will bring this to the attention of the Leisure Centre Manager.

Thanking You

Reviewed 24 August 2014

My family and I are currently on our second night in this hotel..we arrived 23rd August 2014 around 4pm..on arrival we were waiting a bit at reception to be served..staff was friendly enough..the girl that checked me in seen I was struggling with a large and small suitcase while holding a baby and yet was never offered assistant..my partner came in with my other son and some bags and we went on to our room..got lost from the directions from the reception lady..anyways got to the room and all I can say is sweet Jesus..the amount of money been paid and this is what we get..I rang down to reception for a room on the lower floor or even a more up todate room and was told that he had nothing..I asked did they have anything in their sister hotel THe Brehan hotel and was told no but he would cheek for the following day..still awaiting that confirmation to move to the other hotel but won't hold my breath..

With fire alarms going off at 6am and woke my kids I was fuming..no warning at all..This morning we waited almost 30mins for breakfast and try control little children for that length is hard..for the volume of guest they can not cater for people that stay in the hotel..

So later this evening my partner, 2boys and I decided to go to the pool..we found out that the only way to the pool was thru reception and then thru the bar..I'm was mortified as I was not dressed like others were in their best wear..where will I start on the pool, cold dirty unfriendly and the drappers from the dressing room to the pool reminds me of a meat factory..

As I stated I'm on day 2 and if I had my way I would leave and go stay somewhere else but I've my money secured on this hotel and can not afford to pay for 2hotels..

I know the reply I will get is I'm sorry about ur stay and hope u choose glen eagle in the future..this is not acceptable..I have tried to call reception about our accommodation transferes but they don't ans the phone at the best of times..This is our first family holiday and don't think I'll forget this experience in a hurry.

Room Tip: I ave no clue as I was not helped with my situation
2  Thank Deirdre240

Dear Guests,

Your review has just been made visible to us and we would really like if you could possibly come to Reception and ask to speak to the Manager on Duty or myself, Caroline in order to discuss your issues in this review.

The Manager has already gone to your room to speak with you and tried contacting your mobile but has not been successful in getting a response.

Please feel free to ask at Reception upon your return and we will be happy to discuss further.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The toilets in the leisure centre ladies room were so smelly, it was disgusting. There is no place apart from one changing table to put small children when you are going to / from the pool (toddlers & babies). There has been no investment/ update in the leisure centre for years, there is no comfort in the changing area, perhaps an over head shelf to put things/ more benches as its very cluttered and not having lockers in the changing rooms is very inconvenient. Your sign states peopel under 16 cant be unaccompanied yet when our 16 year old went she was informed she had to be 18!

The hotel itsekf is tired and there is little by the way of sign posts to direct guests to teh various areas (where the entertainment is happening/ to the leisure centre etc).
I had booked an apartment and when I eventually checked in only then I was told that the apartments were behind another hotel and a substantial walk was required to use the hotel facilities, we have 2 small children and so carting buggies/ swim aids etc was very inconvenient.
The apartment was also tired and in definite need of paint. The TV's are from the dark ages and there were only a handful fo channels. What about a movie channel/ pay per view option, or have a dvd player and a number of dvd's for guests, board games and books like most other self catering in Ireland. It cost almost €600 for just 3 midweek nights and so was certainly not value for money!
Also when I booked and paid my deposit I was told I would recieve an email confriming my visit, I rang 2 times after that saying I still had not recieved said email and I was assured I would resent it yet I nevr did. So by comparison to many other self catering experiences this was well below impressive!

2  Thank gingerjenb
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Past Guest

We are saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and had such negative feedback to share.

The changing rooms at the Leisure Centre are checked hourly and signed off o. I have brought your comments to the attention of the Leisure Centre Manager. We have been very busy this summer with some days up to 200 guests passing through the leisure centre, We have invested in a new sauna and staem facility this year and an upgrade in changing rooms is planned as part of our ongoing refurbishment programme. The age limit for the pool is definitely 16 years old so we are unsure as to how you were told it was 18. This is only the case for sauna /steam and jacuzzi facility.

I am sorry you did not receive your confirmation email as stated in your review this is not the norm and I can only apologise for this on this occasion.

Should you ever wish to return in the future please feel free to contact me in advance and I will be happy to assist with any queries and ensure that your reservation is handled correctly and that you leave having had a more positive experience next time.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

My family and I had the pleasure of spending two nights here recently. From start to finish the staff could not have been nicer. From the front desk to the restaurant and from the accommodation to the pool we encountered very helpful and friendly staff. Our room was spotlessly clean and spacious. Entertainment each night in the hotel was great. The pool and leisure facilities were excellent. There was a great choice for breakfast- selection of breads, cereals, fruits and hot food. Overall we had a ball and are already looking forward to our next trip.

Room Tip: Get up early for breakfast as it can get quite busy at around 9am onwards.
1  Thank HWalsh555
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Guests,

I would like to thank you for such a wonderful review… It is very much appreciated and so nice to hear that yourself and your family had such a great time.

Thank You so Much from all the team here at the Gleneagle we all appreciate it.