Gleneagle Hotel
The Dunloe(Beaufort)
US$295
US$286
Hotels.com
Eviston House Hotel(Killarney)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$270
US$264
TripAdvisor
1,510 results
All reviewsgreen roomflesk restaurantbackstage barulster buscaptain jackglen eaglekids clubleisure centreentertainment every nightbalcony roompitch and puttshuttle busswimming poolbusy hotelbig hotelfamily roombit dated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Having listened to my partner about how great your Hotel was , I finally got the chance to stay there in January, and I have to say its not a place I'd like to revisit.
Working in the Hotel industry I was very aware of the Hotels reputation and I was really delighted that I was being taken there for my Birthday treat. Upon arrival the Hotel was lovely, with a big spacious lobby, comfy sofas and a nice welcoming fire in the Bar. The receptionist was very nice and told us of the dinner special which we had to buy voucher at reception before we dined. The first night we ate in the Bar and the food and staff were lovely, we even joined in with the old time dancing and had great craic. But close to the end of the night there was a discrpancy over the price of a Hot Port, which really isnt my issue but how the matter has been dealt with since is. A lovely bar manager offered his apologies and a gentleman, who gave his title as assistant deputy general Manager, got involved. Its this persons behaviour which I find most unacceptable. He was quite short with my partner and bordeline rude at how he handled the whole situation. I myself stayed out of the matter as I had a very bad Flu and just didnt have the energy to deal with such a person.
We stayed away from the Bar on the second night and decided to eat in the restaurant , taking up the offer of 3 courses for 20 euro if voucher bought at reception. So as our route to the restaurant was past reception we decided to get the voucher first. There was a gentleman on the desk, who was quite off hand with me. He asked if the restaurant knew we were coming and proceeded to ring them to see if still serving, still only 8.45pm, so even I knew that they should still be serving , let alone a Hotel employee. Then he sold us the voucher and off we went to the restaurant with the knowledge they were expecting us. When we got there we had to wait at the door for about 10 minutes while we watched all the staff have a chat behind the Bar area , while looking over in our direction. Eventually we were seated and our meal was rushed through as some the the restaurant area was going to be used for viewing that nights entertainment. So after the previously nights experience we didnt stay around for the entertainment and left the next morning.
My Partner tried to email the Hotel, several times, to make them aware of our experience, but all emails were unable to deliver. He then rand the Hotel and spoke to a Lady who seemed to be concerned about our experience, and wanted him to send an eamil throught to her via facebook. Which he did. This was greeted by an abusive phone call from the same "gentleman" who claimed to be the Deputy General Manager.
I have to say I'm totally disappointed and discussted by how this matter has been dealt with.
How dare the very Person we had issue with be given our phone number and be allowed to rant abuse down a phone at my Partner. I think a course in Customer Service and perhaps better staff selection would work wonders in this Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2011

As the Guest Relations Manager, firstly I wish to thank this member for they’re positive comments in relation to the Hotel. I am fully aware of this Trip Advisor Member’s stay in the Hotel and the alleged “discrepancy” in the price of the Hot Rum. I know it is mentioned that “this was not the issue but the way in which it has been dealt with since”…

I understand that everyone is entitled to post whatever comments they wish on Trip Advisor, however in this case I wish explain to other trip advisor members the Hotels explanation on this review.

I agree there was a discrepancy with the charging for Hot Rum’s purchased during the first day of this member’s stay.
The member’s Partner was actually undercharged during the early part of a shift for Hot Rums purchased. When the staff changed over the later staff member charged the correct price for the beverage ordered. This resulted in the initial complaint. This was fully looked into at the time and this explanation given to the member by several different staff in the hotel over the whole length of there stay. An apology and explanation was offered on the night along with a complimentary drink as a token gesture but was turned down.

It was myself that had the phone conversation with the customer when hey called the Hotel after a few weeks to make further complaints and I found the customer to be “borderline rude” to myself. They were giving out to me for not receiving a reply to their emails that they claimed they sent. Again I offered an apology and an explanation and confirmed that we never received any emails relating to this incident as it is our policy to reply to all correspondence within 5 days.
I tried confirming what email addresses they had sent the emails to and informed the customer that they had incorrect email addresses for both myself and the General Manager and this is possibly why we did not receive them. I was then threatened with the statement that they were going to go on Facebook and Trip Advisor and take it further.

I also wish to add that I never asked to be contacted through Facebook however it was later discovered that another member of staff was contacted on Facebook through her own personal Facebook account in relation to the same incident and received a number of messages on her own personal Facebook account.

It was at this stage that our Deputy General Manager contacted this member and in MY presence rang this customer and by no means “ranted abuse” down the phone.
I would once again wish to offer an apology to this customer for any hardship felt. This is not what we are about and it greatly disappoints me when people are allowed to write such reports and lead other people to believe that we are in need of Customer Service Training or better staff selection. I feel that in some situations if the customer was a little more understanding and reasonable it leads to greater fulfillment and enjoyment of what is supposed to be an enjoyable break away.

Caroline Papin.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

Just got back a stay at this hotel. I was shocked at the conditions of the apartment that I was in. The carpets were stained and dirty, the shower curtain was disgusting, and the beds were very uncomfortable. Our electricity kept going off; warranting an electrician to come to our apartment to fix the issue and the oven rattled so bad that we didn't finish cooking the chicken we put in it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank RincenaTravel

I would like to acknowledge this Trip Advisor members comments in relation to their recent visit to our Riverside Apartments. The issues that were mentioned have all been raised and highlighted to the Executive Accommodation Manager and all comments taken onboard and are being dealt with presently.

This is by no means are usual standard as many other Trip Advisor members have posted very positive comments recently on the Apartments and the enjoyable stays they have had. I would like to offer sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and should this member ever return to our Hotel please fell free to contact me directly in advance so I can ensure a more positive experience next time.

Reviewed 24 February 2011

Lovely hotel, had a family room, plenty big. Has two kids with us and they had a baby pantry so we could make bottles and store them and they proved a coth, bouncer and play mat. Hotel staff very nice. Good stay for a family. My daughter loved the pool and the indoor paly area.
Excellent value and meals included. Great choice.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2011

We would like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for your positive comments on their stay. Our aim to please all our customers and ensure that they have a very memorable stay.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you again for your lovely warm comments, and will share your comments with all the team who do fantastic job and this is one of the many reasons we were voted best family friendly hotel in Ireland. Once again thank you and we hope to welcome you all back soon, please feel free to contact me in advance of your arrival next time.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 17 February 2011

We spent one night in the gleneagle hotel, the kids facilities and rooms were lovely fab pool and very friendly staff in the activity centre. The restaurant however is disgraceful, the food was awful, completely tasteless and the staff were not friendly - we had a two course meal included in our stay our waitress insisted that night that our booking included a three course meal so we ordered two starters which were terrible and were charged for them when we checked out. We had the same receptionist for check in/out and she was very rude and unhelpful, left us standing at the desk for ten minutes with two babies and i am heavily pregnant - then rolled her eyes and said sorry i have to go go there are people waiting again - no help offered with our bags! Dont think we will go back but if we did def would eat somewhere else...

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

We would like to express our disappointment for failing to reach this Trip Advisor Member’s expectations on this occasion. I wish to thank them for there positive comments in relation to the Rooms. the Pool and the Leisure Centre staff, who are indeed very friendly.

I am however a little surprised at having read the negative feedback on the food, and our staff being unfriendly. I have done some research into this customers stay and have spoken to the Receptionist in question. I find it unfair to say that she was rude & unhelpful, this particular Receptionist has worked for this hotel for many years and I personally would add that she has never been rude or unhelpful to anyone and if there was a delay with her attending to these customers it most definitely was not deliberate.

In relation to the Restaurant, I would like to offer a sincere apology for the miscommunication regarding the number of courses included in their “Lidl Break” package, which was a 2 course meal. Had they informed a member of staff or a supervisor in the Restaurant they did not enjoy they’re starter, they would have happily have changed them & offered an alternative.

Our Menus are changed daily and have a choice of at least 4 / 5 Starters & Main Courses every night, and I must add that our food and variety of choices is one of the top points of positive feedback that we receive.

We thank this Trip Advisor member for their comments. We monitor Trip advisor closely and it is a valuable source of customer feedback for us.

We would also like to use this opportunity to encourage any of our guests, who are unhappy with an element of our establishment, to make themselves known to management or our Guest Relations team during their stay. Perhaps we would then be able to address the issue before they depart as we strongly believe that we, here at the Gleneagle we provide an excellent service and value for money.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 16 February 2011

Stayed in the gleneagle apartments for a friends hen. The rooms are lovely, spotless & spatious. We got a great deal with dinner & lunch included. It really was great value & the food was lovely. It's a short taxi drive into town with great pubs. I would definitely recommend the apartments for a hen or other party venue.

• Stayed: February 2011
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2011

We would like to thank this Trip Advisor Member for their positive comments on their recent visit to the Gleneagle River Apartments while attending their friends Hen Party. I remember this group and how lovely everyone was…. What a pleasure it was to have had such a wonderful group of people.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in the Apartments and the Hen Party itself was such a success. Thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback always so nice to receive and share with all the Team.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon again and if I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate in contacting me.