“Wonderful Stay”

McSweeney Arms Hotel
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed at the McSweeney Arms for a weekend get away. Excellent! Our room was large, exceptionally clean and looked inviting. The bed was very comfortable and had extra pillows. The bathroom had nice fluffy towels. Did not have breakfast but did enjoy a pint in the pub. Short walking distance to everything in the city, 5 minute walk to the bus station, friendly and helpful staff - overall excellent stay - would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Kelly Ann M, Owner at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay at McSweeney Arms Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review. I will be sure the pass on your compliments to my team here.
If you happen to visit Killarney again we would be delighted to have you stay at McSweeney Arms Hotel.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

McSweeney's is must stop for anyone looking to catch a bit of the match and great food too. The atmosphere is alive with both local golfers and international matches televised on screens throughout both the pub and restaurant. I found it to be a good balance with your choice to eat in either the restaurant or the adjacent bar with an open floor plan. The decor and feel of the place is welcoming to both singles and families. Found the service and staff to be some of the best experienced in Killarney. Seafood lovers should try the Seafood trio plate. On a different occasion I found the steak to hit the mark too. I highly recommend McSweeney's as a must stop for both the chat with the locals and a delicious meal - lunch or dinner!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The group I was travelling with decided not to book rooms in advance on our trip, which meant that we'd have to go hotel-hunting when we arrived in each city. After scouting out several hotels in the heart of Killarney, we were about to settle on one of the places we had already seen when I wanted to check out one more I had spotted—the McSweeney Arms Hotel. We were greeted at the desk by a lovely young lady who was very accommodating to a group of Yanks that needed three rooms, sort of last-minute. I could not believe how nice and spacious our room was for the price, and the view of the city from the third floor was fantastic. We stayed for two nights and had a blast. The hotel was in an ideal location. The lot we parked in was just around the corner, and there was an abundance of pubs, shops, and other attractions within walking distance. I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of the hotel and speaking with him on a number of occasions during our stay. Mr. McSweeney was a delight to talk to and he made great suggestions on places to see in the time we had. The pub located on the ground floor of the hotel had good chowder and the bartenders provided fine service. If I ever find myself back in Killarney, I know I will be staying again at the McSweeney Arms.

Room Tip: I recommend a room on the top floor for the best view of the city.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Kelly Ann M, Owner at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Good Afternoon Sean C,

Wow thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I remember when you all walked into the lobby and I was delighted I was able to accommodate all of you.

I love the photo of our key that you took, they are so vintage but it's true for you you'll never lose one!!

If you ever find yourself in Killarney again, be sure to call in.
We would be delighted to see you.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

We are on a car drive around Ireland and stayed last night in McSweenys hotel. What a fantastic welcome from Tony. I asked for a quiet room and he obliged. The room was spotless and spacious and was quiet. The breakfast was very large and beautifully presented. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone, not to be faulted but fantastic.will be back. Thanks Tony.

• Stayed: June 2013
Kelly Ann M, Manager at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2013

Hello Mr Mac,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I am delighted that you were able to get a good nights sleep. Tony remembers you both and he looks forward to seeing you again. He's not too equipped with technology so he has asked me to thank you for taking the time to write this superb review.

Thank you kindly.
Hope to see ye soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

My bother sister and my self booked into the hotel on the 11th June and as soon as we did the welcome we received was superb.Great place to base your self for kilarney and the ring of Kerry.hotel,bar.food.and people top notch.we come and stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Kian2,

I must admit when I saw your heading "The welcome was" I got a slight fright!! However as I started reading your review the smile came back onto my face. The simple words "stay again" makes me a very happy manager and I will be passing on your kind words to all staff members who made your stay so memorable.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We actually stayed in another Killarney hotel and I really wish we had stayed here. Particularly after reading the other reviews. I can only review the pub as we popped in to watch the England-Ireland friendly at the end of May. It was a great choice. The food was good, the bartender was spot on top of everything and the atmosphere was great. You could tell everyone was having a good time, including a few locals I think were hiding amongst the tourists. Definitely stop by, even if it's just to wet your whistle, while in Killarney.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sseaton68
Kelly Ann M, Manager at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Dear Sseaton68,

Thank you for your compliments about our bar and restaurant. We take great pride in our food and try our best to ensure that our customers have the best experience possible while with us.

We hope that if you make it back to Killarney again that you will stay with us.

Thank you for the review, I really appreciate it.

Reviewed 23 May 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay. Nice rooms, very clean and spacious. The bar and restaurant downstairs serve superb food at very reasonable prices. Bottles of water free of charge available in room. No coffee/tea making facilities in room, but available via kitchen/reception free of charge. Very friendly family run hotel, restaurant and bar. Biker friendly! Well worth a visit, conveniently located in Killarney centre.