“Superb in every way!”

Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Hopewell, New Jersey
“Superb in every way!”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

When vacationing in Ireland, we always stay one night in a new town, then get back on the road. But we loved the McSweeney Arms so much, we stayed for three nights and used it as a base. Couldn't bear to leave: super location, beautiful decor, lovely rooms, the best hospitality, cozy and welcoming bar and restaraunt.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We didn't stay in the hotel, but did eat at the restaurant our first night in Killarney. The food was delicious!!! My sister and I had the Beef and Guinness stew and it was the best thing I ate on our 10 day trip to Ireland. My other family members had fish and chips and hamburgers -- everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals. Portion sizes were good - about the perfect amount (compared with American portion sizes). Very good and would highly recommend eating at the restaurant!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Scripette
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

On a trip round Ireland and thought Kilarney may be a bit twee. Far from it enjoyed every minute and the hotel was the icing on the cake. A very Irish hotel well situated with very clean and comfortable rooms. The bar had a good atmosphere and the staff were friendly and knowledgable . Breakfast was great and I would definitely stay again

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Grogandes
Kelly Ann M, Owner at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Hi and thank you so much for your lovely review. I especially love the heading, we are all about tradition and our heritage here at McSweeney Arms Hotel. The hotel has been in my family for 63 years and we try to give our guest a unique and personal experience from the minute they enter the door. Delighted you enjoyed our Irish welcome and atmosphere.
We do hope that you come to visit us again.

Take Care and Thank you.
Landstuhl, Germany
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed at the McSweeney Arms for a weekend get away. Excellent! Our room was large, exceptionally clean and looked inviting. The bed was very comfortable and had extra pillows. The bathroom had nice fluffy towels. Did not have breakfast but did enjoy a pint in the pub. Short walking distance to everything in the city, 5 minute walk to the bus station, friendly and helpful staff - overall excellent stay - would happily stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay at McSweeney Arms Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review. I will be sure the pass on your compliments to my team here.
If you happen to visit Killarney again we would be delighted to have you stay at McSweeney Arms Hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 June 2013

McSweeney's is must stop for anyone looking to catch a bit of the match and great food too. The atmosphere is alive with both local golfers and international matches televised on screens throughout both the pub and restaurant. I found it to be a good balance with your choice to eat in either the restaurant or the adjacent bar with an open floor plan. The decor and feel of the place is welcoming to both singles and families. Found the service and staff to be some of the best experienced in Killarney. Seafood lovers should try the Seafood trio plate. On a different occasion I found the steak to hit the mark too. I highly recommend McSweeney's as a must stop for both the chat with the locals and a delicious meal - lunch or dinner!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The group I was travelling with decided not to book rooms in advance on our trip, which meant that we'd have to go hotel-hunting when we arrived in each city. After scouting out several hotels in the heart of Killarney, we were about to settle on one of the places we had already seen when I wanted to check out one more I had spotted—the McSweeney Arms Hotel. We were greeted at the desk by a lovely young lady who was very accommodating to a group of Yanks that needed three rooms, sort of last-minute. I could not believe how nice and spacious our room was for the price, and the view of the city from the third floor was fantastic. We stayed for two nights and had a blast. The hotel was in an ideal location. The lot we parked in was just around the corner, and there was an abundance of pubs, shops, and other attractions within walking distance. I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of the hotel and speaking with him on a number of occasions during our stay. Mr. McSweeney was a delight to talk to and he made great suggestions on places to see in the time we had. The pub located on the ground floor of the hotel had good chowder and the bartenders provided fine service. If I ever find myself back in Killarney, I know I will be staying again at the McSweeney Arms.

Room Tip: I recommend a room on the top floor for the best view of the city.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Kelly Ann M, Owner at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Good Afternoon Sean C,

Wow thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I remember when you all walked into the lobby and I was delighted I was able to accommodate all of you.

I love the photo of our key that you took, they are so vintage but it's true for you you'll never lose one!!

If you ever find yourself in Killarney again, be sure to call in.
We would be delighted to see you.

Thank you again.

Manchester
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

We are on a car drive around Ireland and stayed last night in McSweenys hotel. What a fantastic welcome from Tony. I asked for a quiet room and he obliged. The room was spotless and spacious and was quiet. The breakfast was very large and beautifully presented. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone, not to be faulted but fantastic.will be back. Thanks Tony.

• Stayed June 2013
Kelly Ann M, Manager at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Hello Mr Mac,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I am delighted that you were able to get a good nights sleep. Tony remembers you both and he looks forward to seeing you again. He's not too equipped with technology so he has asked me to thank you for taking the time to write this superb review.

Thank you kindly.