“Good food and service excellent excellent excellent”

McSweeney Arms Hotel
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We ate here two nights on a recent trip to Killarney and i have to say what a fab experience,, food service, atmosphere and so on was altogether top class. special mention to the girl that seats and greets,, very friendly and professional...

Room Tip: Didnt stay here but next time we will,,,,
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for McSweeney Arms Hotel

Reviewed 1 August 2013

The McSweeney Arms Hotel is beautiful, very clean, and right in the middle of everything in downtown Killarney. The owner, Tony, was very kind to my husband and I, and upgraded us to the top floor of the tower. I was so excited and surprised when I opened the door to a bright, welcoming room overlooking all the downtown shops and pubs. We had a very comfortable queen sized bed and a twin bed in the room as well. There was a little table with several comfortable chairs in the tower, which would be perfect for pre party cocktails. The hotel offers an extensive breakfast menu and everything was delicious and very fresh, not to mention included! I was delighted to see an array of fruits including blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, watermelon, etc. Staff at the hotel were all friendly and accommodating. When my friend needed a postcard stamp, Tony looked in his own wallet for one to give her. When he realized he did not have one, he told her she could leave the postcard at the front desk and he would see to it that it was mailed in the morning. The building was very quiet and I did not hear any noise from another room or in the hallway the whole time I was there. On the first floor of the hotel is a pub which was adorable! It was the perfect place for us to meet our friends, with whom we were traveling, before going out for the evening. We also ended up there at the end of the evening as the pub was open until 2AM for guests of the hotel. The bartender was very kind and knowledgeable, giving us invaluable tips on where to stop along the Ring of Kerry. We took his advice and were thankful we did! My husband and I spent 10 days in 5 different hotels around Ireland and McSweeney Arms was definitely my favorite!

Room Tip: Remember to ask if the tower is available if you want a beautiful view of mountains and the downtown...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kelly Ann M, Manager at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Wow thanks for a great review!

Tony was telling me about you guys and he was delighted that you were so trilled with the Tower Room. He definitely is a very hands on owner, as that is what we are all about - the personal touch! I am so glad that you got to experience a true family run hotel.

We hope to see you all back in Killarney soon
Tony's Daughter!!!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

It needs to be understood what this property is, and is not, but if it is what you are seeking, I simply cannot imagine finding a better inn for the value and service provided here. It was awesome!

For clarity, it is a small, family-owned hotel located in the city. And though updated and well-furnished, it is neither a modern high-rise, nor a quiet country inn by a river in the woods. So, there is no business center, and in the summer when windows are open, there will be a bit of street noise until later in the evening. Yet, this is for a holiday, so I trust you won't be working, and the location also provides excellent access to both the train station, and all of the amenities of the city, as one can walk out the front door and be amidst all of the city offerings.

More importantly, the hotel was perfect at managing all of the small details that are often over-looked, but make for a wonderful stay. Both the rooms, and all public areas, were spotless. The morning dining room was formally-furnished, and kept in exquisite condition. And the pub, though more casual, was equally clean and orderly, and the "irish stew" in particular was excellent!
Also, the wifi was strong, and worked with no problems whatsoever.

Lastly, I will simply note the staff, as it was clear that everyone there simply wanted to ensure that everything went well for me. From the initial check-in with Kelly Ann, to the morning breakfasts with Roseanna, and the consistently excellent pub service by another whose name I never heard, all were just exceptional. And as for Tony, the owner, I will just say that he was a constant help with suggestions, and his calls to arrange and ensure good outings for me. Further, I'll simply note that he went out of his way to address a couple of issues I had, totally unrelated to his property, and that was equally appreciated.

To close, I've stayed in over 100 properties in the past year, some great, some not so much! But this was my favorite, and I wish you a similar good stay should you also visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank jhcewc
Kelly Ann M, Owner at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Hi James,

I hope you are well. Thank you for your amazing review I just love it. We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us. I love the detail of your review, you have explained us so well. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review it really means alot to me.

Thank you James, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I was visiting Ireland with my wife, adult son, and daughter-in-law. We stayed at the McSweeney Arms Hotel in Killarney after reading all of the positive reviews posted here. Now I can say they are all true! I rate the hotel very highly on all counts. Great location, in the heart of the entertainment and retail area. There must be at least 50 pubs in a five-minute radius. Spacious rooms with extra sitting areas, clean bathrooms, strong WIFI feed, and plenty of outlets to charge accessories. There is a large public parking lot about a block away for 3 euros/day. But my biggest compliment about this hotel is the personal touch provided by the owners, Tony and Kelly Ann. They provided extra assistance when I needed to send a business document to the US. When I realized I left my postcards at the hotel, I sent a panic email to the hotel. They found the postcards and mailed them for me. I am used to staying at Hilton and Marriott properties and found the McSweeney Arms Hotel exceeded my expectations. Thanks again Tony and Kelly Ann!

Room Tip: The hotel has a bar in house. I requested rooms in a quiet location and my wish was granted.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Hi Jim,

I hope you and your wife are keeping well. Tony and I are thrilled that you had such an amazing stay with us and we really appreciate you taking the time to write such a positive review. Although I did have to hide this review from Mom as she was would get super jealous as she likes to think of us as the three musketeers!!!!!

It was my pleasure doing the postcards for you. Glad everyone got them.

All the best

Reviewed 26 June 2013

When vacationing in Ireland, we always stay one night in a new town, then get back on the road. But we loved the McSweeney Arms so much, we stayed for three nights and used it as a base. Couldn't bear to leave: super location, beautiful decor, lovely rooms, the best hospitality, cozy and welcoming bar and restaraunt.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We didn't stay in the hotel, but did eat at the restaurant our first night in Killarney. The food was delicious!!! My sister and I had the Beef and Guinness stew and it was the best thing I ate on our 10 day trip to Ireland. My other family members had fish and chips and hamburgers -- everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals. Portion sizes were good - about the perfect amount (compared with American portion sizes). Very good and would highly recommend eating at the restaurant!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Scripette
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

On a trip round Ireland and thought Kilarney may be a bit twee. Far from it enjoyed every minute and the hotel was the icing on the cake. A very Irish hotel well situated with very clean and comfortable rooms. The bar had a good atmosphere and the staff were friendly and knowledgable . Breakfast was great and I would definitely stay again

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Grogandes

Hi and thank you so much for your lovely review. I especially love the heading, we are all about tradition and our heritage here at McSweeney Arms Hotel. The hotel has been in my family for 63 years and we try to give our guest a unique and personal experience from the minute they enter the door. Delighted you enjoyed our Irish welcome and atmosphere.
We do hope that you come to visit us again.

Take Care and Thank you.