“Great family run business”

McSweeney Arms Hotel
Ranked #16 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Arrived in Killarney after a long days drive. Was a very nice spacious room, well priced, had a great shower, then was lucky enough to pop down stairs to their beautiful sports bar with plenty of beers on tap. Might I also add-the most flavoursome and tender steak in Ireland. Well done McSweeneys.

• Stayed: September 2013
Kelly Ann M, Owner at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your kind review. McSweeney Arms Hotel has been in our family for over 60 years. I am the third generation to be part of McSweeneys and I am delighted with the title of your review. We are all about family run here and giving our guests a unique and personal experience. I am glad you experienced this and I hope you will return to see us soon.

Owner

Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

We arrived at around 7pm after a weekend in cork whilst en route to Antrim. The hotel suited our needs ideally, we had a friendly check in, a large room with lots of windows and fresh air and a large bed. Town is only a 5-10 minute stroll away, so we had a mooch and got a salad in town, although the food in the restaurant looked good. We then had breakfast which was very nicely cooked, good sausages and set off on our way. In my haste I managed to leave behind my jacket, which the hotel promptly posted out for me. So all in all, a good stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Kelly Ann M, Owner at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Good Afternoon Mr Gall,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review about us here at McSweeneys.
I was delighted that we were able to locate your jacket and get it posted out to you.
The winter is setting in so you will be needing it!!!!

Thanks again.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stumbled upon this place after completing Ring of Kerry. Great location in the heart of the village. Very reasonable rate which included full breakfast. Above a bar/restaurant run by the same family with a good menu and friendly staff. Room (and bathroom) was very sizable as we travelled with our 2 children. Very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
Kelly Ann M, Owner at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2013

Hello Feehily Family,

I am so glad that you guys had such a great experience with us. Thank you for taking the time to write a review it really means a lot to us here at McSweeneys.
We hope you all enjoy the rest of your trip.

Hope to see you back in Killarney soon
Kelly Ann McSweeny

Reviewed 24 August 2013

My boyfriend and I arrived in Killarney earlier than originally planned and without a reservation....(not a smart idea!) But Kelly-Ann greeted us with the warmest welcome and set us up in an amazing room with great views of the town! She could not have been nicer and immediately made us feel at home. Our room, 305, was perfect! Bed, pillows, duvet were so fabulously comfortable it was the first time in our 2 week travels we truly felt like we were sleeping at home! Breakfast the next day was perfect, a full irish and tons more to choose from!. All in all, Kelly Ann and everyone at the McSweeney Arms made a lasting impression on us, we wont stay anywhere else on our yearly trip to Killarney. Thanks!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Liz,

Wow thank you for a wonderful review. I definitely earned some point bonus with my Dad for this one!!
I remember you guys so well, ye seemed like such a cute couple and I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

my wife and i returned to mcsweeney arms hotel after 2 years for another 5 night stay and were immediately warmly welcomed by kelly-ann, daughter to proprietors tony and pauline. we were kindly directed to our second floor room via the lift. every effort was made to fulfill our request of possibly staying in our favourite room overlooking college street with it's shops, pubs and restaurants so we could take in the atmosphere before experiencing it for ourselves. the bar at the hotel is superb along with the restaurant and it's food. the breakfast room is a lovely experience and if pauline doesn't make you smile then you must be on another planet! and what a breakfast menu it is... fruit, cereals, juices, pancakes, full irish plus any variation, grilled kippers, fresh salmon, fresh cod, smoked salmon, i could go on. all in all a fantastic experience thanks to Tony, Pauline, Kelly-ann and the rest of the team. see you again next time. colin. walsall.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Kelly Ann M, Owner at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Good Afternoon Colin,

Many thanks for your kind hearted review, I am trilled that you and your lovely wife had another amazing time with us. We were delighted to see you both again. Mom was chuffed with the compliments you gave her.

Hope to see ye next year.

Take Care
Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We ate here two nights on a recent trip to Killarney and i have to say what a fab experience,, food service, atmosphere and so on was altogether top class. special mention to the girl that seats and greets,, very friendly and professional...

Room Tip: Didnt stay here but next time we will,,,,
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The McSweeney Arms Hotel is beautiful, very clean, and right in the middle of everything in downtown Killarney. The owner, Tony, was very kind to my husband and I, and upgraded us to the top floor of the tower. I was so excited and surprised when I opened the door to a bright, welcoming room overlooking all the downtown shops and pubs. We had a very comfortable queen sized bed and a twin bed in the room as well. There was a little table with several comfortable chairs in the tower, which would be perfect for pre party cocktails. The hotel offers an extensive breakfast menu and everything was delicious and very fresh, not to mention included! I was delighted to see an array of fruits including blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, watermelon, etc. Staff at the hotel were all friendly and accommodating. When my friend needed a postcard stamp, Tony looked in his own wallet for one to give her. When he realized he did not have one, he told her she could leave the postcard at the front desk and he would see to it that it was mailed in the morning. The building was very quiet and I did not hear any noise from another room or in the hallway the whole time I was there. On the first floor of the hotel is a pub which was adorable! It was the perfect place for us to meet our friends, with whom we were traveling, before going out for the evening. We also ended up there at the end of the evening as the pub was open until 2AM for guests of the hotel. The bartender was very kind and knowledgeable, giving us invaluable tips on where to stop along the Ring of Kerry. We took his advice and were thankful we did! My husband and I spent 10 days in 5 different hotels around Ireland and McSweeney Arms was definitely my favorite!

Room Tip: Remember to ask if the tower is available if you want a beautiful view of mountains and the downtown...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kelly Ann M, Manager at McSweeney Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Wow thanks for a great review!

Tony was telling me about you guys and he was delighted that you were so trilled with the Tower Room. He definitely is a very hands on owner, as that is what we are all about - the personal touch! I am so glad that you got to experience a true family run hotel.

We hope to see you all back in Killarney soon
Kind Regards