“Excellent location, nice room and great service”

Killarney Avenue Hotel
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 16 July 2009

Located downtown near all shops and pubs. Cinema next door. Beautiful room with great jacuzzi tub. Front desk staff was so friendly. Car park available. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 April 2009

KILLARNEY AVENUE HOTEL in Killarney, County Kerry, Ireland – Our Trafalgar tour included breakfast and dinner in this hotel. For both meals, Restaurant Manager Norman reserved a separate table for me and my husband, at Chef Khairul’s request. The chef came to meet us, saying he was responsible for us and wanted to ensure the best for our dining experience. He and his staff took every precaution to avert cross-contamination. Both meals were delightfully varied, fully flavorful, served attractively and in complete compliance with safe gluten-free requirements. We were told they hosted 35 Celiacs (Coeliacs) not long ago so all staff members were aware of Celiac which requires a gluten-free diet, as well as safe food handling and the consequences if not followed carefully. I soon knew I was in a truly “safe” environment for my food concerns.

The Killarney Avenue Hotel was a true joy, not having to question every ingredient or method each step of the way. Every staff member exhibited understanding, and courteous compliance in a friendly, professional manner. During our dining visits, the manager came several times to our table to assure that all things were well and the chef came to our table to discuss how he prepared for my arrival. They made me feel completely at home away from home. Additionally, I let them know what a superb job they do.

Upon arrival at Killarney Avenue Hotel, I was handed a list of what I could safely eat , items which were either on the menu or would be prepared for me while I was their guest. They were terrific in every aspect. They fully addressed every one of my diet concerns, the first time, every time we dined with them.

Killarney Avenue Hotel is in the town centre and facing the Golden Gate entrance to Killarneys National Park. http://www.odonoghue-ring-hotels.com/killarney-avenue/location O‘Donoghue Ring Hotels - Kenmare Place, Killarney, Co. Kerry, Ireland. Tel: (---- (0) -------) Reservations: (--- (0)-------) Fax: (---- (0)-------) Email: sales@odonoghue-ring-hotels.com

My homework before the trip: On vacation we stayed in five hotels in Ireland during April 2009. Trafalgar booked them all as part of our tour. About 3 weeks before departure, when I received our trip package, I emailed each hotel informing them of the dates I would be their guest and of my dietary needs. I asked for acknowledgements in response to my email to assure safe eating at least at breakfast each day. Two of the hotels deserve special recognition for their professionalism and attentiveness to my diet requirements, not restricted to Celiac Gluten-Free. The first was Killarney Avenue Hotel.

Around the corner from the Killarney Avenue Hotel was Murphy's, a safe, fresh ice cream shop to indulge in unusual and regular flavors as a Celiac. Yummy!

The other hotel which I rate well was the Mespil in County Dublin, Dublin, Ireland. Review posted separately under Dublin, Mespil.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank celiactravel
Reviewed 14 December 2008

We came across the hotel by accident and were very glad we did. We were warmly welcomed by reception even though we did not have a booking. The room was exceptional, very clean and tidy and the nicest we stayed in all our our travels around Ireland. We would recommend this hotel to anyone. Rception was very helpful assisting us with directions to various tourist attractions in the area.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank thewillow
Reviewed 14 August 2008

We stayed in this hotel as part of an escorted tour. We were extremely pleased with our stay. The manager came onto the coach to welcome us. The room was spacious and well equipped. All was clean and tidy. At night they did a turn down service when chocolates and the weather forecast were left in the room. The hotel had quite a bit of character in the public rooms.

We were there at a weekend and the hotel was very busy with functions. We were on the third floor and could hardly hear music but others on lower floors were badly disturbed by the music from the parties. We did not eat in the restaurant but the breakfast was fine.There is a visitors' lounge in a basement area which would at leasdt priovide a quiet reading place if you wish.

The air conditioning was quiet and efficient.

Our only annoyance was an uncalled for 6 am wake up call. I did ask to see the manager several times about this but no contact had been made by the time that we left.

It is often silly little things that one remembers and in this case it was the "slow closing" toilet seat in the ensuite. Must get one for home!

In our rear 3rd floor room we could hear the background music boom from the cinema next door but with the window shut it was minimal.

Well located for town .

Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DR26June2014a
Reviewed 4 July 2008

My two sisters and I stayed at the Killarney Avenue Hotel for one night in June. We were passing through Killarney before flying out of Ireland, and showed up to the hotel without a reservation. They were very welcoming and helpful, and were able to give us a triple for the night. Compared to other hotels, this was the most expensive of our trip. The room was small but comfortable with all of the amenities, including a very nice bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. The room was a little stuffy in the night, which we attempted to remedy by turning on the fan to the air conditioner in the room, but that was very noisy and ended up keeping us awake. We just opened the window in the end, which was just fine. The beds were not the most comfortable of the trip. Breakfast was delicious and varied (many hot and cold choices) and the internet access in the lobby was fast and convenient. The best feature of the hotel was it's ideal location to the Killarney National Forest as well as the main downtown area. For the money, I think we did better at other locations on the trip, but it was a decent stay overall. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank windycitywoman
Reviewed 23 June 2008

i just picked this hotel as its very central and i wasnt disappointed.i would highly recommend it ,the service and food was excellent.the only thing was there was a wedding and few other functions going on the night we ate there and we were rushed a little. however we did get an apology and were looked after and the food was great.all of the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank wildohead
Reviewed 7 June 2008

We spend three nights here and were quite comfortable, except for the thin walls. Great beds, great bathrooms, best breakfast in the morning.
Liam O'Connor show in the hotel is good fun. Movie theatre next door. 4 Star Pizza next door. Jaunting Carts across the street. Did I mention how handy this hotel was?
Computer use in the lobby was free.
Pub was attractive, but staff was lacking.

Note that the walls are very thin and you will hear what goes on in the next room and hear the music from theatre and banquet rooms. When we were there, one night was a "21" birthday party and the music kept us awake until the wee hours of the morning.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family