“A little surprise!”

The Heights Hotel Killarney
Ranked #30 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I was working in Tralee the day I stayed and on route to Wexford. I just pulled in as it was along my route and was wrecked. My room was very comfortable. I had a little problem with the shower but within minutes the staff came to look at it and allowed me to shower next door. I was impressed with this as I had to get going for work. I am sorry I didn't get the name of the woman who was there serving food on January 24th and 25th...I believe she would be a manager...she was so attentive and professional. She was there for dinner and breakfast and was lovely. I really have to say for the 45 euro I spent for bed and breakfast I was very happy...best sleep I've had in awhile...I have three small children at home so it was lovely to be comfortable and get good rest!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JennieDGorey
Heights H, Manager at The Heights Hotel Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2015

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay here at The Heights Hotel Killarney. We are renowned for the beautiful food, our professional, friendly staff and the exceptional service we provide. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 November 2011

Possibly the coldest, draughtiest place ever!! The Bars,Restaurant and Breakfast room are full of open spaces that leave a lot of cold air in! The breakfast room alone has 4 or 5 sets of double doors that are never closed.Food was dissapointing,and lukewarm at best.
There is a damp smell from the carpets and it is quite old.
Give it a miss, there are much nicer warmer and welcoming hotels in killarney.
I spent the next few days in bed recovering from flu after my visit!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank TansyMul
Noreen O, Manager at The Heights Hotel Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Dear Annl39
I would like to thank you for submitting a review to trip adviser, however i am dissapointed that on this occasion you did not enjoy it, i would have hoped you would have brough this issue to the attention of management or reception upon check out but as i did not recieve a complaint regarding your stay before now i am presuming that you did not mention it on checkout. i am quite shocked that you found our food "only ok and luke warm at best" as we really are always complimented on our food quality and presentation and thankfully have a very good reputation for food. i am very sorry that you felt so dissapointed over your stay here, i do feel that you should have brought this to the attention of the Hotel on checkout where managment could have dealt with the problems directly as apposed to writing a review on a website one month after checkout.
Should you like to contact me directly to speak to me regarding your stay here then please do as i would be delighted to try and rectify any complaints you had.

Reviewed 1 October 2011

If you're relying on public transport then The Heights is not going to be suitable for you as it's at least 1 mile from the town centre if not more.

Reception always seemed understaffed and very busy, but (with 1 exception) they were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Bar staff were suitably cheeky without being at all rude and I would highly recommend the restaurant for excellent meals, however I wouldn't get a glass of wine to accompany dinner at over 5€ a glass. There was one waitress in particular who offered outstanding service.

The room was adequately sized, clean and comfortable. My only complaint was that the television in the room only received RTE1 and RTE2 and these were both snowy/wavy. The bathroom was sparse, very cold and lacking in amenities. The water pressure was terrible in the shower that rinsing my hair each morning became a chore.

I was impressed by the breakfast choice each morning and the food was plentiful and nicely cooked.

Overall, I would stay here again if I found another good offer but would probably choose a more central hotel otherwise.

TIP: If you forget anything, there's a large Tesco just down the road.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Dallas2Raleigh
Noreen O, Manager at The Heights Hotel Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2011

Dear Dallas2,
Many thanks for your recent reveiw and i would like to thank you for your feedback. we do appreciate your valuable comments in order for us to improve in what we do.
we are very happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and since reviewing some difficulties regarding the tv channells in your room we are happy to report that this issue has now been resolved. once again we would like to thank you for your feedback and i do hope we will have the pleaure of your company again in the not too distant future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 23 September 2011

Stay here for in August 2010 midweek and got a very reasonable rate on the double room per night (60 euro a night). The hotel is located a bit out from the town center so need to get a taxi or drive in. Room was a bit old but it was very clean no complaints there. Would stay again no problem.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cloonacool

Dear Cloonacoo,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback, it is very nice to hear that you were satisfied overall with your stay at the Heights Hotel

We look forward to welcoming you back again i hope.

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 September 2011

My mate and my self stayed here for a week end, and i would never stay there again
i went into the shower only to find the shower walls rotten with the dirt All so the floor had excrement on it we of cause complained the manager said he would look after us in the bar
which he did he gave us 3 drinks apiece, he asked us to fill in a complaint form and the hotel would get back to us, after waiting for 4 days i phoned only to be told she is on the phone phoned back to be told she as just popped out phoned again to be to she as now gone on maternity leave. So then i get another lady who goes on about the room being cleaned and inspected by the boss and it was perfect and we are to blame never again

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
12  Thank an_ghlaise20
Noreen O, Manager at The Heights Hotel Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Dear an_ghlaise20
Thank you for your recent review.
Here at the Heights Hotel we take our cleaning policy very seriously and ensure that high standards of service and cleanliness are maintained at all times. I am both personally hurt and disappointed by your recent comments and feel on this occasion they are unjust and untrue. On reading your comment you fail to mention a few things:
You arrived to our hotel on Friday and made no comments regarding your room upon check-in to the room nor did you have any issues on Friday night. At lunchtime on Saturday housekeeping staff were refused entry to service your room and you or your friend told them that their services were not required. Again, at this time, you never aired any grievances regarding the condition of your room. It was not until late Saturday evening that you make a complaint to hotel management that there was excrement on your bathroom floor, however upon arrival to the room management could not confirm or deny this as you had it cleaned up at that stage. The manager on duty that night, however, did give you and your friend three complimentary drinks each as a good will gesture.
As I previously mentioned to you, Housekeeping serviced this room on Friday morning and a manager signed off on their work at lunchtime on Friday and at that time we, the Hotel, can confirm that there was absolutely no evidence of excrement or dirt in the bathroom.
I find it ironic reading your comment that you mention you would never stay with us again while on two separate occasions you told me that a free weekend would be in order, and also upon check out to the receptionist and in your comment card to the hotel you mentioned that you thought a complimentary weekend would be enough to prevent you from “going to Trip Advisor”. Upon the decline of your request you then tell me “you’re going to Tripadvisor”.
May I also add that in your comment card you ticked “excellent” for all aspects of service, food and overall enjoyment of your stay with us and so I do hope that other Tripadvisor users will read this review and be able to make an intelligent judgement call if deciding to stay with us in the future.
Best Regards

Reviewed 24 August 2011

Stayed for 2 nights a couple of weeks ago and found the Hotel to be nicely located, clean and with friendly staff. The food was very good also. The main issue was with the mattress in the room - it was completly gone on both beds. We asked to move rooms but they only had one left unoccupied - in which the mattress was also terrible. We put a duvet underneath us on the bed instead which helped. The staff were not surprised we complained about the mattress either so it was not the first time. A shame as it was a nice stay otherwise

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Qzy

Reviewed 14 August 2011

My husband and I and our 19month old son were here yesterday evening and had some delicious bar food. Our waitress was a lovely friendly girl and we were served promptly. We had soup to start which was very nice. My husband had a steak sandwich which was really good and I had the penne pasta with bacon, mushrooms and cream sauce. It was delicious. The great thing was that there was no problem with when I ordered a childs portion of the penne pasta also. Babs loved it and ate every last bit of it. We had a delicious dessert of Choc Fudge cake afters. The price was incredibly reasonable, 2 soups, 2 main courses, one childs portion of an adult meal, 2 desserts, two soft drinks and 2 top ups of milk in babs cup was Eur57. Excellent food, excellent service, lovely setting and excellent price.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family