“Our First Night Here was a Disaster! Poor Service by Management.”

Killarney Towers Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed here August 8th...I know the date because it was our anniversary night. We were on a tour with 12 other people and our booking had been done many months in advance.

For this romantic evening we got what had to be the smallest room in the hotel in the absolute worst location in this hotel. I could literally brush my teeth and use the toilet at the same time. I have traveled all over Europe, Asia and the South Pacific...this room and the bed was definintely smaller than most. The location of the room was directly over "Scruffy's" bar and from the sound in our room we were directly over the bandstand. We don't drink and wanted a quiet romantic evening to celebrate our marriage. I travel with ear plugs but that didn't help...the bass vibrated the walls and everything in our room. Hotel management needs to spend a night in this room to get the whole effect...they were clueless.

On the bright side we didn't have to put quarters into the bed to get the vibrating bed experience like we did on our honeymoon and the band that was playing was pretty good.

I had asked for flowers in the room thinking they would be put in a vase on the dressing table, side tabel, etc. What I got was a bouquet of roses and lilies thrown on the middle of the bed, no water and no container to put them in. While I appreciate their efforts to even get the flowers, could there have been a little more thought put into this?

I did ask management for a room change and questioned why we in such a poor room and room location. I was told that our room could not be changed because the hotel was full. I asked if they could check with neighboring hotels and was told that was not possible. The hotel clerk told me that our room was the last available and that our group had arrived last (around 7:30 PM) so that was all they had left. By her comments the clerk was very familiar with the room and it's problems. When I questioned why our time of arrival had anything to do with our room location I was politely told that they could do "...nothing and we will see about moving you in the morning." This was very poor treatment since our group's reservations had been made many months in advance and our driver had called hours before to inform the hotel when we would be arriving. It appeared to me that the hotel had overbooked and we were the couple that got stuck in an older, smaller room over the bar that nobody wants.

We were tired travelers that did not get much sleep and spent a very uncomfortable first night in this hotel. I asked the hotel for a refund of that first night's stay. I was told that they could and would not provide a refund. I was told I would have to seek compensation from our tour company. When I argued that the tour company had nothing to do with where the hotel placed me I was told that was their policy and I would have to speak with our tour provider. In other words...we are going to make it such a hassle you won't get a thing.

Lastly, we were moved the next day and did spend our final night in a nice room down a quiet hallway. I do not have fond memories of this hotel...the treatment by management on that first night was shoddy...the "oh well, we can't do anything" is a poor service policy when you, the hotel, has overbooked. Putting someone in a room you know is substandard and hoping they will just take it is a classic and lazy example of poor management and service.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Takarehi
KTH_Guest_Relations, Guest Relations Manager at Killarney Towers Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am very sorry to hear that you were so unhappy on your first night, it was never the intention of any representative of this hotel to come across in the manner which you indicate. I would like to take this opportunity to address the issues you had and clear up some of the apparent misunderstandings.

It would appear from your review that you did get one of the older guest rooms, and although the square footage of those rooms would be smaller than the newer wing that was built in the 1990’s all of our 182 guest rooms including the older wing at the front were renovated in a multi million euro capital investment project in 2007/2008 and all are decorated and operated to the Irish tourist authority four star standard. That being said I do acknowledge that some of the older rooms at the front of the hotel, just like any hotel in a town or city centre location can experience noise from the entertainment outlets beneath but I do sincerely apologise for any discomfort you experienced.

Regarding your request for flowers in the room, I have spoken for the guest service agents on duty that night and the hotel were only alerted to this request at 7.10pm the evening you were arriving, to try to meet this request the guest service agent you mentioned actually left her post and purchased the best bouquet of flowers she was able to get at that hour of the evening but as you were arriving some 20 minutes after the request was given to the hotel in her defence she was working with a very limited time frame, however again I do apologise for this not being as you had hoped.

In relation to your comment about the room allocations, guest rooms are allocated the night before arrival in the Killarney Towers, in quite a lot of hotels they are only allocated on actual arrival. The final allocation of rooms can change up until the last person checks in because of the changing requirements of the guests as they check in. The hotel was indeed fully booked but not overbooked, if we were overbooked someone would have had to be accommodated elsewhere which was not the case. I do understand that your booking was made three months prior to arrival but some operators book their space up to two years in advance, this is one of the reasons we allocate rooms a day before arrival and not based on the original booking dates, if we did it based on booking dates we would have no flexibility to accommodate requests from guests that book in the months leading up to any given arrival date.
As your group was the last guests to arrive that night then the staff on duty had absolutely no alternative than to try and move you the following day, although that was not an ideal solution it was the only avenue open to them at the time.

In your review you also comment about seeking a refund for your first nights accommodation. There seems to be a big misunderstanding on this point. As you were travelling through a tour operator and your nightly rate paid to them would have taken into account not only your accommodation but your air fare and ground transportation plus any other items included on the itinerary the staff in the hotel would have absolutely no idea what rate you were paying for the hotel so they were unable but definitely not unwilling to assist you. You were advised to contact the operator and they in turn would contact us, that is how cases such as this work in any hotel, the staff member you were speaking to here actually did speak to a representative of your tour operator and that person had said they would make contact with you directly, we also advised them that we would be happy to refund your first nights accommodation, If you require any assistance in this matter please feel free to contact me personally and I will be happy to deal with the issue for you. I was actually on duty myself the day you departed and had you spoken to me of your dissatisfaction I would have been able to clear up these issues on the spot for you.

We as a family company take pride on our dedication to our customer satisfaction, I am genuinely sorry that you have left with such a negative opinion of our hotel and can assure you that any misunderstanding or miscommunication on our part was unintentional and was the exception and not the rule.

If I can be of any assistance to you at all please feel free to contact me here at the hotel by calling 00353 64 66 31038 or by emailing towersreception@odonoghue-ring-hotels.com

With Kindest Regards;

Reviewed 13 August 2011

we have just returned from a tour of killarney great time nothing was too much trouble for the staff and man do they work hard if you are visiting killarney definately stay here !!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ArmaghCarly
KTH_Guest_Relations, Guest Relations Manager at Killarney Towers Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us here at our Killarney Towers Hotel. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our staff, it is always nice to be able to share positive comments like these with them as they do work very hard especially during the height of the summer season.

If I can be of any future assistance to you at any stage in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 3 August 2011

This is a lovely hotel in a great position to walk to shops & pubs to enjoy Irish music at its best in a irish pub Staff at hotel were very helpful as my husband had hurt his back & needed to see a doctor A doctor is just next door also Our room had a view over the park which was pleasant you could see the famous jaunting cart ride entering the park
Being near this great huge park is a great if you like to walk or ride the jaunting cart we did & enjoyed A good hotel to stay

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
KTH_Guest_Relations, Guest Relations Manager at Killarney Towers Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that your husband has now recovered from his hurt back.

We are indeed very lucky to live right on the edge of one of Ireland's national parks and I am glad that you took pleasure from it.

Hopefully we can welcome you back some time in the future and thank you for staying with us here at O'Donoghue-Ring Hotels.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed at the Killarney Towers Hotel while attending the Irish Open Golf Championship. The hotel is right in the Town Centre, close to all the shops and bars. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and used the swimming pool. Will definitely be back as this is a good hotel with very friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank yinyinyin

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and review. I am delighted to hear that our hotel and staff met with your approval and if Killarney are lucky enough to host the Irish Open again next year we will look forward to welcoming you back to O'Donoghue-Ring Hotels then.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

This was one of the better hotels we stayed at during our tour.

The reception area was modern-ish and so were the rooms, which were clean. No complaints there. The hotel is in the middle of town so everything is within walking distance.

The breakfast buffet was fair, comparable to many of the hotels we stayed at.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank jchong

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Killarney Towers Hotel. We hope to be in a position to welcome you back to Killarney some time in the future.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 11 July 2011

A lovely Irish town. This hotel was on the new side by the look of it - it was OK. Nothing special but no complaints. Room was clean. No internet.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank foggen1
KTH_Guest_Relations, Guest Relations Manager at Killarney Towers Hotel & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in our town and hope that the rest of your trip was as enjoyable.

The Killarney Towers Hotel has been here for a long time but was completely renovated in 2007, wifi and internet access is available in the hotel and is free. Guests can obtain a password for it at reception.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Killarney some time in the future.

Reviewed 8 July 2011

The staff in this hotel are extremely nice notably Martin, front of house manager. So with regard to the comment made earlier regarding parking I know he would never be rude to anybody least of all a guest as he values them very much even though some of them are very hard to please. The hotel does not have parking nor does it ever claim to have. It is right in the middle of Killarney and there is a car park right across the road. I believe a lot of the time you will be using the car anyway so it wont be parked and it is only a euro an hour anyway for the time it is parked.
This hotel is high quality and it is brilliant value. It is always a pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank SabrinaCork

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay in the Killarney Towers Hotel and I see that you have stayed with us before. Thank you also for your positive comments regarding our staff and facilities.

We here at the Towers look forward to being able to welcome you to Killarney some time in the future.

With Kindest Regards;