“Totally renovated: totally recommended!”

Killarney Towers Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 27 March 2008

I read some very bad reviews about this hotel in Trip Advisor and I´m sure they were perfectly right.

It is very rare to hear about a hotel that admits that something has to be done and invest lots of money to renovate the rooms and the building itself and that happened while the hotel was closed in winter 07-08.

I think the effort payed off as this was by far the best of all 4 hotels I stayed at during my visit to Ireland.

The rooms size was very standard: not big, not small. But is was very clean and had a very good bed.

The hotels restaurant was very nice too: we had dinner one evening were they serve lamb, salmon, etc were you could eat as much as you could.
The hotel has spa and a very well equiped gym.

The hotels location is right in the middle of the town. This could be heaven or this could be hell. My room was very quiet as I couldn´t hear any noice comming from the streets or the other guests in their rooms.

A great touch, in my opinion is that every room had jacuzzi.
On the other hand it is a paradox that in the bathrooms they put a sign were they ask guests to save water by re-using towels as much as possible. But if water is the hotels concern, then they shouldn´t install a jacuzzi in every bath tub...

All in all I can only say that this hotel was really a big surprise for me as I didn´t know that CIE choosed hotels of what I consider such high standard. I understand that the renovation i mentioned above gave the Kilarney Towers Hotel their fourth star which I think the hotel deserves.

I was told at the reception that the tariff at that moment (march 2008) was 80 euros pr person for Dinner,Bed and Breakfast. The same price was asked in a scottish hotel I stayed at for 2 years ago and that hotel couldn´t had more than 2 stars and had no facilities other than a bar.
Because of all the facilities, cleanless, the new inventory and that you can eat all you can at both breakfast and dinner, I think the Killarney Towers Hotel as it stands today is good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Oscar L

Reviewed 8 February 2008

After being there before and had a great time I had a return visit - this particular weekend was a very busy weekend . The location is great the town centre on the doorstep so no worries about cabs and they have the entertainment in the hotel so no need of going elsewhere. The bar got very busy both nights due to a good ballad band on each night. The decor is a bit tired in the hotel itself and the rooms definitely need some change but on speaking with one of the managers during my stay they were going to undergo a major redevelopement over the winter and opening a brand new 4* hotel in March 2008. Again I found the staff exteremly pleasant and I hope to return to see the new changes for myself!!!! Will keep you posted.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2008

I stayed in this hotel last summer and found it to be possibly the worst hotel I have experienced. For a start the music from downstairs is so loud that I could not sleep despite being TWO floors above it. When I spoke to front desk about this they said there was nothing I could do and even suggested I was trying to spoil the fun for others!! It was also very shabby and over-priced. Killarney is a beautiful place and this hotel does not do it justice. If you are 18-24 and like terrible music this could be the hotel for you.
On the other hand, if you are neither blind or deaf and enjoy sleeping more that 3-4 hours per night, avoid this hotel at all costs!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gulliver778
Reviewed 2 November 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. We were on a tour thru Go Next. We thought it was very, very convenient to walk to pubs and shops all around us. The staff was very, very helpful and polite. I had a medication that needed refridgeration and they were helpful in getting it for me and marking our room number on it.

The breakfast buffet was excellent. I did find that some dishes and silverware appeared to be dirty. The staff was so willing to help when something was needed such as tea etc.

Our room was nice...We were so tired from traveling from the United States that most noise didn't bother us. It was part of our experience in Ireland. I'd visit again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank aad56
Reviewed 9 October 2007

I had the misfortune to stay there last week for three nights. For the first night we were in a room next to an air conditioning unit and above the live music in the bar. I asked to be moved and was, but was still next to an extractor fan or ac unit which was constantly going, then at 5.30 in the morning, I guess when the kitchens started was extremely loud. I don't go on holiday to be woken at 5.30 every morning & have a room smelling of fried food.

I've stayed in lots of hotels from b&b's to 3 4 &5 star this is by far the worse I've ever stayed in.

Previous comments about the restaurant are all valid, the cutlery & crockery didn't seem to be properly cleaned and I have never eaten in such cramped conditions.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank michele7527
Reviewed 26 September 2007

Was booked into this hotel by CIE Tours. My first room was the size of a matchbox, it overlooked the street so I could not open the window for ventillation and it was a five minute walk from the elevator. The second room they gave me smelled of mold as soon as you walked into the room. The third was a bit larger but had dirty carpet, dirty walls, and the bathroom was filled with mildew. You couldn't pay me to take a bath or shower there for fear of getting a fungal infection. Very dissapointed as other hotel booked by CIE was so top notch.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank TilleysMom
Reviewed 3 September 2007

I travelled to Killarney Towers Hotel for 3 nights DBB with a group of 32 in Aug 07. Having read some of the previous reviews I was a bit 'scared' that all would not go well. I found this hotel to be excellent in every way, check in facilities for my group were fast and very efficient
We had 6 treble rooms booked and rest in twins/doubles. I was a bit apprehensive about room size for the 3's, so I inspected them ALL after check in, and found that not only did they all fit 3 beds, but another bed and more furniture would have fitted in also!!!....they were huge rooms. Bathrooms a tiny bit on the small side perhaps but very functional and lovely power showers as well.
Food was excellent....lots of choice for dinner each evening and no repeat menu any evening which is great, who wants to see the same menu each evening.
Breakfast had a very good choice and my group loved the idea of 'eat as much as u please'....
Despite the 'unfavourable' reports above, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a very central hotel with lovely food. We had rooms at back of hotel and front over the street but no noise - double glazing works!!.
Great music in the bar at night, lots of atmosphere and sing along songs.
Definitely worth a return visit and we will be doing so.
So don't be 'put off' by negative remarks. I've been all over Ireland with groups and this was the best 3 star yet.
Bon Voyage and thank you to all at Killarney Tower for great weekend.
Ann - Wexford 25-28 Aug 07.

• Stayed: August 2007