“Deja Vu!”

Killarney Towers Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 26 September 2008

Deja Vu - We had the misfortune to stay in Room 159 (the red cowboy hat out the window room!) on September 11, 2008 while travelling with a different tour company. After arriving at the hotel and going to our room, we weren't terribly impressed. It was a very small room with a tiny bathroom and the view out the window was quite unpleasant. We went out for a walk and dinner. Upon our return to the hotel around 9:00, we noticed a sign on the sidewalk advertising live music from 11:30-1:30 in the bar called Scruffy's that was located directly under our room. We immediately went to the front desk and asked for another room as we knew this would be a problem. We were told that the hotel was full and they couldn't give us a different room. At this point, we resignedly returned to our room, got ready for bed, and tried to get a little shut-eye before the music started. I even wrote in my journal "may be worst hotel". Sure enough, promptly at 11:30, we jumped about six inches off the beds when the caterwauling and thumping started. Simon Cowell would tell this singer to get lost. After about 5 minutes of trying to go back to sleep with earplugs and pillows over my head, I got dressed and took my pillow down to the lobby, where I lay down on one of the couches. After about 2 minutes, the desk clerk came over and tapped me on the shoulder and asked what the problem was. After I snarled at her and was asked what room I was in, she offered to let me lie down in the dining room/lounge "where it's quieter". It's strange that the lobby and the dining room are quieter than the guest rooms. I tried to rest in that area for about 15 minutes while a staff member walked in and out 3 times. I finally got so fed up, I went in search of a quieter place and found a couch in front of the leisure centre at the far end of the hotel. I covered myself with towels from their shelves and tried to get some rest (to no avail, with the lights turned on and the beverage machines humming on and off). Finally at 1:25 I walked back to the front lobby where I sat looking at my watch until the manager went into the bar and shut them down. My husband used a different tactic. He'd managed to get some sleep between 10:00 and 11:30, so he decided if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. He went into the bar to listen to the music and informed the hotel manager that his beverages would be courtesy of the hotel (the manager agreed to this). He had one Guinness on the house. His observations of the bar were that there were never more than 20-25 patrons, half of whom seemed to be "groupies" of the band. The next morning I polled the other members of our tour group and found that several of them had been disturbed by the noise and had called the front desk to complain. One other couple had had a problem with water leaking into their room from the one above because someone had over-filled the Jacuzzi tub. The staff merely came in and mopped up the water with some towels. This couple couldn't change rooms either. The rooms that I'm aware of that had problems that night were 159, 259, 151, 161 and 124. There were possibly more. After we told our tour director about the problems, he demanded new rooms for all of us. We were moved to a slightly nicer room overlooking another rooftop but I think it was probably the same one with the loud airconditioner unit outside the window. We shut the window for the night and it didn't bother us nearly as much as the pub had. Other than the free drink which my husband received, we received no apology or compensation. Our entire tour group did receive a free glass of wine with dinner the second night. Whoopee! It seemed unfair to me that people who hadn't heard a thing got rewarded. It's quite obvious from some of the other reviews that I've read, that this hotel is foisting these rooms on tour groups believing they can get away with it. It seems to me that the comfort of travellers should be more important than the paltry amount of money they are making in Scruffy's. The hilarious part is that the posted charge on the door for room 159 is 218 Euro per person per night. We took pictures of this post. We will be requesting a full night's refund for this hotel room through our tour company.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank AuntyMo

Reviewed 22 September 2008

Great Hotel. Would highly recommend it if your staying a night in Killarney.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank pgbc84
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Stayed here as part of a CIE tour (which by the way was fabulous and which I'd recommend without hesitation even though staying at this hotel for 2 nights was part of it). It was the only hotel on the tour that I really disliked. Otherwise, CIE made great choices. But it was all about the room. If we had been put in a quieter room to start with, I'd be writing a much more positive review. We were put in a 1st floor room at the end of the hall directly over one of the adjacent pubs (which I think are actually owned by the hotel - not sure). They had a pretty bad solo guitarist-singer that night. We were actually in the pub drinking a pint before heading up to bed. Then when we got to our room it was as though we were still in the pub. It was unbelievable - the noise. Not just distant music or the loud thump-thump of the bass but surround-sound-like music. The last thing I wanted to do after a day of sight-seeing was turn on a TV but we tried even that to drown out the noise and it didn't do it. We called the front desk and they told us the music usually stopped at around 1:30. 1:30!!!! We had 2 hours to go. They also had the nerve to ask us if we had our windows open - fixing this problem is not as simple as shutting the windows, as they should well know by now from the looks of some of these other reviews. About half an hour later we called again to see if we could move rooms. They had nothing available. We got dressed, went down to check things out, confirmed that there were still only a handful of people in the pub actually "enjoying" the music and then asked the hotel management on staff if there was any way they could get the pub to end the music any earlier than 1:30. There was truly no way you could do anything but sit or lie in your room listening. Even with ear plugs, which we always take when we travel. And pillows smashed up against your ears. I have stayed in lots of noisy hotel rooms in my life but nothing like this. They agreed to compromise - quit at 12:30. We had to call again at 12:45, as the music was still going ... it finally ended, we finally got to sleep.

They moved us to another room the next morning - not only a quieter room set much further back in the hotel (we were at the street in that first room) but also a much larger room w/a larger bathroom and much nicer windows/views. Our first room overlooked the rooftop of the entrance to the pub - it was full of water, wires and a red cowboy hat. It was unsightly. There were no shades on the windows - just heavy dark curtains. So to allow some light in but so as to not have to look out onto the roof, we had covered the lower half of the windows with towels. The second room was much better in all ways. The hotel also provided us with a fresh fruit basket and wine as a form of apology.

So they did what they could. It's just kind of amazing that they spent apparently US$8 million in renovations and didn't think to put any sound-proofing in between that lower pub level and the rooms. Or maybe they did. I have no idea what that would involve.

If you stay here as part of a tour - and most of the guests seemed to be bus tour folks - there's not much you can do I suppose but ask from the outset for a quiet room. The rooms over the "other" pub - the one playing the Irish Music - are much quieter. Or at least the music in that pub ends nightly by 11:30, not 1:30. That seems much more reasonable. I mean, we were on vacation and part of what we were doing was drinking pints in pubs every night. So 11:30 is fine. But 1:30 is not.

If you aren't part of a tour and are booking your own hotel, I would probably look around and see what else Killarney has to offer. That's what I'd do anyway. I mean, I would stay here again if there were no other choice or the price were right and if I were guaranteed a quiet room. Other than the noise (and our cramped first room with the unsightly view), it's a nice hotel. Although all the jars of preserved lemons, etc, which decorate the dining room might be a little off-putting if you've much experience with biology. Some of them look like formaldehyde-preserved shrunken heads. The jars of dried beans were fine, but the lemons were a little creepy. Breakfasts and dinners which were included (at least for us) were fine. For dessert I would recommend trying the vanilla ice cream. They don't have it out w/the buffet - you have to ask for it. The Irish know how to do cream!

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank owlhead64
Reviewed 24 August 2008

Just back from this wonderful hotel and cant recommend it enough.
Bufftet breakfast was excellent and staff very friendly.
Rooms were clean and comfortable.
Checking in was easy and cases were delivered straight to door.
Dinner is highly recommended with a variety of dishes to choose from.
Overall a fantastic hotel with nice staff.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Enjoyed the position, the friendly staff , the cleanliness and the food. It has obviously been improved since some of the earlier comments.

Our first room was very noisy from external machinery (extractor fan or air conditioning). We were moved to another room which for the first few days was great, even though it faced the square it was beautifully peaceful. But our last night, when we had gone to bed early ready for an early morning start to our homeward journey, was horrendous. The noise from the bar three floors below could never be called music - just a pounding beat that made the floor resound. We had to put the TV on just to drown it. At midnight it stopped and we breathed a sigh of relief, only for it to start up again. It finally finished at 1 am.

This other wise excellent hotel should decide whether to cater for its paying guests or its nightclubbers. I don't think the two mix.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 11 July 2008

I must start by saying the Hotel Rooms are excellent and the hotel in general is very good. However if you were never in Killarney before it is almost impossible to get parked to check in. We parked in a public park and then the reception staff told us that is the only parking available at €1 an hour with overnight free. My other problem is with the evening meals. It is buffet style which looks very unprofessonal and very dissappointing. Apart from that we still had an excellent time there and would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2008

We were there for three nights with a group including 48 travelers. The room was very nice and comfortable and the bathroom quite nice. We were very pleased until we realized were were directly above the pub with live music until 12:30 am and the hotel could not relocate us (actually we were better off than some in our group who were above the bar with a live DJ that played music until 1-1:30). We had ear plugs but the amplification was so strong the floor and bed actually vibrated-this is "traditional Irish music" mind you. We also discovered that the cleaning staff had left the window open for ventilation but that allowed all of the smoke from those stepping outside to light up directly into our room (we were directly above the door to the pub).

Staff was friendly, good location, breakfast very good and the one dinner we had there was also fine (liked the fact that they actually had lots of vegetables-something we had not seen a lot of on the trip thus far). If only it was not so loud.

• Stayed: June 2008