“Simply breathtaking”

and up
Ring of Kerry Rail Trip from Dublin
Ranked #14 of 106 things to do in Killarney
More attraction details
Owner description: Ireland's highest peak.
County Cork, Ireland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Simply breathtaking”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This is no easy hike. If you are not fit, afraid of heights,lack stamina, and want an easy stroll ,then this is not for you.
If you know that you can walk, hike and scramble for 6-8 hours then you are in for a real treat.
Starting point is usually Cronins yard where there is parking,refreshments and showers.
One can also start from the car park which is further up the road and a little big shorter.
The first part of the walk up the glen is ever so beautiful ,expect uneven ground, muck, streams ,stepping stones and breathtaking beauty,worth the trek without ever climbing the mountain.
There are many ways up the mountain O'Shea's Gully, Devils Ladder etc.etc. A word of caution seek advise on the best route on the day and do not attempt it without the right boots,pole or poles,all weather clothes ,plenty of food , lots of water and charged phone.
This is a serious mountain ,it is not anything like the height of the Alps but it is just as difficult.
If possible and you can afford it hire a guide.He will make everything less stressful,a lot easier, a whole lot more enjoyable and last but not least a whole lot safer.

Start early morning ,take many breaks, and enjoy it .The views on a clear day are without compare.This mountain is high enough to make you feel on top of the world but low enough to enable you to identify so many many places around you.In my opinion this is where Carrauntoohil
outshines all others.

Take care and enjoy.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank mike a

• Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Tough hike but great views at the top.”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

i am a hill walker but Carrantoohil is a really tough hike especially the gully where there is climbing. The views at the top were fab and well worth the hike. Other hikers were all very supportive. It takes from 5 1/2 hours - 7 1/2 hours so go early, wear appropriate clothing and carry water and food.

1 Thank Sandy769
Dublin, Ireland
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Top views on a clear day”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Parked at Cronin's yard and accessed via the Zig Zags for ascent and descent. Round trip of 17.5km but well worth it as Devils Ladder is becoming unsafe through erosion

Cork, Ireland
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Amazing experience even though I didn't make the top!!”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

A group of us attempted Carrauntoohil yesterday to raise money for cancer research,, Unfortunately I didn't make the top..I was the only one of the group of 30 of us that didn't make it but all the same it was amazing, we were guided up O'Shea's Gully and taken down the Zig Zags.. some of our group went up the Devil's ladder and down the zig zags and others when up and down the Devil's ladder.. it took the majoriy of the group nearly 8 hours to go up and down, some alot less.
Nearly all of us were inexperienced climbers but reasonably fit, we had two guides who were amazing (they were part of our group who know the mountain very well), nearly everyone found it terrifying but were so glad that they did it! What an achievement. In saying that I was glad I turned around, if I had gone any furthur I would have had big problems, all about knowing your limits. I was terrified and really panicked!! I have an issue with Heights, I climbed Croagh Patrick a few weeks back and I had it in my head that it was going to be similar but longer.. how wrong was I.. no comparison..I wouldn't even attempt it without a guide!!
Still deserves a five star rating...it's just amazing, so proud of all our group that made it up and down the youngest of which was only 14!!

Galway, Ireland
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Great walk!”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We climbed Carrantoohil with our friends last weekend - It was a great adventure - and the Devils Ladder was quite challenging after previous day spent on bicycles...

I really enjoyed the views - even though it was cloudy for most of the time.

I would recommend this mountain to everyone who has good condition and is not scared of heights.

I hope I will visit this place again!