“A nice excursion”

and up
Hop-on Hop-off Shuttle in Killarney: Muckross Route
Ranked #5 of 111 things to do in Killarney
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was an attraction that we almost missed since we had had a tour in the house on the property and a stoll in the garden. We took a jaunting car back to our parked car near Torc Waterfall and the driver first drove us here.

If you like ancient graveyards and ruins this is absolutely the place for you. There are a lot of walking around possible and a huge tree growing inside of the ruins. It is a perfect place for children if they want to play hide and seek.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We walked in on Muckross abbey during a walk in the national park and found it a great find! Enjoyed it more than other, more popular, sights. Really worth a stopover.

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Of all the old buildings and ruins we have visited on our trip around Ireland and the UK, Muckross Abbey is my favourite. Being able to walk all around the Abbey buildings, go pretty much anywhere that still has a floor to walk on and a staircase to get you there was great fun. A bit of imagination and you can picture how it would have looked, felt, sounded in its heyday. Stand inside the old fireplace and look up the chimney at the sky above, step into one dark room, use a flashlight or your phone light to look around and imagine it lit only with candles. I poked into every nook and cranny I could find and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Went here with my husband , its a very serene place, the abbey is well maintained and its a must if you are staying nearby. The old headstones are maintained well .

1  Thank Helen c
Reviewed 7 August 2014

After spending one week in Ireland, this ended up being my absolute favourite spot. It was peaceful, tranquil, a bit off the regular path, and open for exploring. Rarely do you have the chance to explore a (safe) ruin on your very own, so take advantage of this chance. I probably could have spent the entire day here, but an hour should be enough to look around every piece of the property. Take your time, there are a few hidden corridors and staircases that lead to even more stunning views. For those looking to get to the Abbey, I recommend biking from Killarney. The ride is easy and bike rentals are easy to find.
Budget travellers - this attraction is free, so it is not to be missed. One of the most stunning places, where history and beauty meet in an unexpectedly peaceful way.