“Killarney's Best”
Review of The Ross

The Ross
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My wife and I decided to visit Killarney the night before arriving so we didn’t book any hotel. We had previously stayed in the Killarney Plaza Hotel so we aimed the car in that direction. When we arrived we did the old fashioned thing and walked into 4 hotels and asked for their best deal to check in right away. This is how we found the Ross hotel.

The Ross hotel is situated facing the park with a gate entrance a mere 200-300 meters away. It is minutes’ walk from everywhere so park up and forget the car you don’t need it.
When I walked into the hotel lobby I made my mind up even before asking for the rates, I could tell immediately it was what I was looking for. This hotel is seriously classy, stylish and oozes sophistication. I was met at the reception by a friendly and polite lady who offered me an excellent rate, no haggling required. So we immediately checked in.

The room was a very large and contemporary room. The décor was fresh and relaxing, with the ultra-soothing chocolate and creams with a punch on pink for that wow factor. Our room was equipped with 2 large LCD TV’s, a remote controlled gas fire and a beast of a bed that swallowed you whole at night time. The floor to ceiling windows allowed masses of light in and at night time the electric blinds shut out any street lights that may interfere with your sleep.

Everything seems great and we were very happy with our find, until we went down stairs that night. This took the game up a level; the hotel bar is like something you would find in Knightsbridge or Mid-town Manhattan. It is a very trendy & popular cocktail bar that has a great atmosphere and serves up excellent quality food. This is clearly the place to be on a Friday night.

We dined in the hotel’s restaurant each morning for breakfast and on 1 night for dinner. I couldn’t fault anything. Staff were professional and friendly and the food was an excellent standard. We also availed on a meal deal in the bar one of the nights. This was a top notch deal called the Date Night Deal. This included a 2 course meal, cinema tickets, for the cinema across the road and post movie cocktails all for €30 per person.

The Ross has a sister hotel, the five star Killarney Spa Hotel which is 200 meters across the road. This hotel had the car park for both hotels and has a fantastic leisure centre and Spa. I was training for a marathon at the time I was staying here, so after a long run through the idyllic Killarney National Park I made my way to the pool and Jacuzzi to unwind followed by one of the best massages I’ve had to shift the lactic acids. As result I woke each morning fully refreshed and ready to face my next run.

As I said earlier this is my second time in Killarney. My first stay was in the Killarney Plaza hotel, a fine hotel in its own rights but the Ross has become my favourite without a doubt.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seanie_pc

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Group of 8 girls made a break for Killarney for the night. We had lovely cocktails in The Ross and we were so impressed that the one cock tail ended up being 5! The bar was just beautiful, so comfy and stylish and the decor was so totally different to the traditional irish bar scene, we felt like we could have been in New York......until we went out for a smoke in the pretty harsh smoking area in the rain! Table service was excellent and the choice of drinks was fab! would love to go back and sample some of the food as it smelled and looked divine as it passed us by! Will defo be back here again. Atmosphere was lovely and a good mixture of ages.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank blondepc
Reviewed 31 October 2012

My husband and I stay here on the October bank holiday weekend. The hotel is in a fantastic location right in the centre of things. The hotel is cool and funky and really nicely furnished. Our room was massive with two double beds and the bathroom was pretty big too with a separate shower and bath which is always a plus. The beds were super comfy, my only complaint was the pillows which were quite hard but that’s just not my preference. The staff in the hotel were all exceptionally friendly especially Eleanor who was always so friendly and gave us loads of tips of where to go and eat out in. The bar is lovely and had a great atmosphere.
The food in the restaurant was great as was breakfast each morning with plenty of fresh fruit, pastries and scones.
A couple of people have said that it is noisy and yes it can be because of the location but if your out during the night too then this shouldn’t be a problem.
One word of advice though, don’t park your car outside the hotel. This has nothing to do with the hotel but our mirror was broken on one of the nights, so definitely avail of the parking facilities at the Park Hotel which is two mins walk away
Overall i would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

Beautiful trendy hotel right in centre of town sister hotel to Killarney park so great if u fancy a 5 spa swim or spa treat there just across road great restaurant too with lovely atmosphere. Bit of advise not hotel for families with children. Also hotel situated in very noisy corner of Killarney so would suit couples or singles out for good night

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Walking past the hotel in Killarney town you wouldn't think there would be a TARDIS of a hotel inside. I was travelling on my own visiting family in Kerry so was looking for a hotel that was safe and comfortable. The interior design is lovely, a mix of boutique and Parisian. The premises was very clean and the staff were friendly.
The only problem I had was the bar downstairs but that was only one of the nights so hopefully there is not always too much noise.
The breakfast was also lovely and a good choice, I was still full in the evening after it.

Room Tip: Maybe not on the same side of the bar if during the summer period. I went during the week so it mayb...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Kerry-Ann2012
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I went on a hen weekend last weekend. The hotel is lovely and the staff are so friendly. Its a great spot for a night with the girls. The location is also very good. We had 4 in the room and there was plenty of space.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed two nights at the Ross Hotel in Killarney based on reviews in TA. It is a very, very nice hotel, with warm, friendly staff, but it was very noisy on Saturday (and Fridays?). We had read in previous reviews about the noise from the bar and to get rooms away from the bar on weekends. We kept this in mind, but then changed our booking to include Saturday without thinking.

We arrived at the hotel and were told to park across the street at a hotel next to to the Killarney Park Hotel, since the latter - a sister hotel to The Ross - had a full carpark due to a large wedding. (This was not a problem and we managed to park at the Killarney Park Hotel the second night.) Before we went there, the young woman assistant at the desk ran out to our car and off-loaded our four bags and took them up to our rooms while we checked in. The staff throughout our visit were excellent, helpful providing suggestions for places to eat and drink and making reservations. Eleanor in particular was terrific.

The hotel is located on the edge of the center of town, where there are many restaurnats and pubs all within an easy walk. It is right across from the National Park and there are horse carriages (Jarveys) right across the street. On our first evening, we took a Jarvey ride along the lake edge out to Ross Castle - it was a beautiful, sunny Autumn evening. It is not inexpensive at 40 euros, but there were great views of the lake and it lasted about an hour, including a 15 minute stop at the castle.

The hotel itself is quite modern and makes a nice impression. There is a lounge area in the lobby, with a fireplace and a self-service coffee bar. The lift was quick and there was never a long wait. The rooms was very spacious, with a very comfortable bed and a nice modern bathroom with a separate shower and tub. We started off in Room 208, which we thought was away from the bar. Unfortunately, it turns out that all of the rooms are above the bar, or the bar that backs up to the hotel. The thumping bass from the disco was very loud until close to 1:00 am. We discussed this with the front desk (night coverage) who said the bar would stop serving to non-hotel guests at 00:30, when the music would likely cease. However, he did say that if there was a large group of people who were staying at the hotel and wanted to party, then the revelry could go on to the early hours. After talking to Eleanor the next morning, she moved us to a larger room on the third floor. Sunday evening was as quiet as a mouse, so room location was not an issue.

Breakfast was excellent. There was a buffet continental breakfast, with a wide array of choices and an a la carte cooked breakfast. All the food was excellent. My wife had porridge on both days and it took a long time for this to come out, almost as if they had forgotten it. Apart from that, service was very good.

Our package included one meal at the hotel. In keeping with everything, this was also excellent (reviewed separately). Overall, with the meals, we thought the value was very good.

Without the noise issue, The Ross would have gotten an "Excellent rating." I feel the hotel management must decide if it is in the Accommodation business or the Entertainment business, but I guess they are making enough money with the present set up?!

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor on weekends.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
TheRossHotel, Manager at The Ross, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2012

Dear Noo12,

Thank you so much for your detailed review of the Ross.
We are delighted with your comments regarding our team here, our quality of food and particularly the overall experience of your stay from check in to departure.

I do apologise for noise you encountered at the weekends. Killarney is a very busy place at the weekends and tends to be much quieter midweek as you found out on Sunday night! We do try to allocate rooms acordingly based on peoples needs but also their reasons for travelling.
If we have an issue, we always like to have a solution for a guest so I am delighted Eleanor was able to assist you the following day.

Thanks again for your review and I do hope Killarney and Ireland made a good impression on you!

Le meas,