“REVOLTING STAINED BEDS, BROKEN FURNITURE, DISGUSTING.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Killarney Royal

Killarney Royal
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
ireland
“REVOLTING STAINED BEDS, BROKEN FURNITURE, DISGUSTING.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

After a 4 hour drive, on arrival we were met by Deirdre on reception. Made sure our afternoon tea booking was confirmed and went to our room.
The room was not good. Not good at all. The drawers in the wardrobe were broken with splintered wood and the bottoms falling out of them. The handle on the bedside cabinet had broken off so couldn’t be opened. A throw pillow on the bed was absolutely revoltingly stained. With what I’m not sure, looked like wine or some red liquid!!! I dread to think. It was a huge stain, half the size of the pillow itself! How this could have been placed on the bed by room service was I do not know but was a pretty lousy thing to see.

Was I just supposed to put up with it? To accept the stains and the broken furniture and the dirty bed? I just genuinely don't understand why any paying customer would have been given such a ramshackle and dirty room. We work too hard to smile politely and say that everything is fine. This took the shine off our weekend that we had been looking forward to for so long and could have ruined it. If i could have afforded to shell out for a second hotel, I would have.

But it didn’t stop there…

I pulled the duvet back and my heart sank and my jaw fell to see yellow and red stains on the duvet and the sheet, obviously bodily fluids! I could also see some strange black marks on the white sheet and realised that they were showing through from below. I pulled the sheet back to find thick black body hairs on the mattress!!! No mattress protector, what the hell was going on here? To be given a ramshackle room with broken furniture and stained bedlinen and huge long black hairs on the mattress???

I went downstairs to Deirdre on the reception desk and keeping my voice low, told her that the room was disgusting. She understably looked appalled and after just a couple of minutes, offered me a new room which was fine, at least it was clean. These things happen sometimes but for 139 euros per night, they shouldn’t happen and not to this revolting degree.

Afternoon tea was very nice, 3 tiers of little cakes, biscuits, mediocre sandwiches and scrumptious scones. The reception area looks amazing on the hotels very attractive website , but it is very deceptive. The furniture is threadbare and thick with dirt and grime. The whole hotel does look lovely on first glance but just don’t look closely at anything, most of the furniture is knocked, scraped and broken and dirty.

Turned out that the second room they gave us was over the bar so I could hear the thump thump music in the room and knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep there. I did feel bad going to the reception desk again, I really don’t like to make a fuss, but Maura on the desk was very good and gave me the choice of two rooms to choose from. Both nice rooms, but…again, both rooms have broken furniture and weren’t as clean as they should be. The beside lamps were mismatched and one had masking tape all over it to keep it together!!! The light flickered on and off and the light switch fizzed from the dodgy connection. Shabby and dangerous.
The shower curtain was stained with god knows what, some reddy / greeny goo, looked like snot to me. I didn’t say anything as I didn’t want to upset my travel companion and really, i just wanted the weekend in the hotel to be over by this stage.
They really need to have a deep clean of the whole hotel. Repair or replace the broken furniture. I don’t drive four hours to be put in a dirty room or a room with broken furniture. The whole place is tired. It looks nice on the surface but really needs a proper clean and proper revamp.

Breakfast had a good selection of the ususal, little pastries, cereals, juices, etc and you can order hot food. I ordered poached eggs, we both did, and were looking forward to golden molten yolks oozing out over hot buttered toast. They didn’t.
Two HARD BOILED poached eggs arrived…for both of us! Poached eggs with hard yolks. Incredible and unforgiveable. The next day I made sure to ask for the yolks to be runny and they were, but should I have to ask? Really?

Anyway, I did want to say that the staff here were absolutely excellent. Maura and Deirdre on reception were great and the two elder ladies serving in the dining room were hard worked but very good.

It’s a 3 star hotel but I really wish I had went to a different hotel. Would I recommend it? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Would I stay again? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Great staff let down by shoddy housekeeping and penny pinching management.

Killarney itself was lovely and the Ring of Kerry was incredible, so I would come back to Killarney but not to here. There are hundreds of hotels and guest houses in Killarney, it's a serious tourist centre so next time I'll choose better hopefully.

I did fret over leaving this review but at the end of the day, i've spent my hard earned money on this experience, so I should have the right to report it on TripAdvisor truthfully and that is what I have done.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank cartagia
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 17 May 2011
Dear Cartagia,

Thank you for your recent review. I was shocked & disappointed to read its contents. May I start by apologising for the fact that your stay at Killarney Royal did not meet your expectations.We work very hard here at Killarney Royal to ensure all our guests enjoy their stay with us. Obviously, that did not happen on this occasion, for that I sincerely apologise.I have phoned you many times over the last number of days to discuss your concerns but I have not been able to reach you. Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Having read your review and inspected the rooms there were items that needed maintenance attention; the loose locker handle & damaged lamp are simply not good enough. Our furniture is individual antique pieces that get damaged from time to time but this is no excuse. The cleanliness of our hotel has never before been questioned and indeed this is something that we see as number one in terms of importance. You suggested a deep clean in your review. Let me assure you that this is something that is routinely carried out and in fact we recently won an award for the standard of our bedrooms. However, I would like to assure you that following your comments this is something that has been addressed.

For some time now we have enjoyed very positive reviews, (proofed by Trip Advisor), and it’s only fair that we must respond when we got it wrong, such as in your case. Mistakes were made and for that I apologise unreservedly. I would like to thank you for your feedback although disappointing to read we will certainly learn from it.

Regards
Brian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Killaney Royal Hotel. The room was excellent, but the attention and assistance given to us by Catherine at the front desk was even better. She went out of her way to assist us with our needs, and took a sincere interest in our plans and our well being during our stay in Ireland. She exemplifies the wonderful, kind spirit of the Irish people we were privileged to meet. Thanks again for a memorable visit. Terry & Carolyn Trotier, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, USA

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 4 May 2011
Dear Cttrotier

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Killarney Royal Hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the Hotel and particularly delighted to hear of your Kind comments about Catherine at the front Desk. It is what we aim to, at the Killarney Royal, and I am glad to hear you enjoyed the Irish People you met while on Holiday.

We hope you will return to the Killarney Royal when you visit Ireland again.

Wexford, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

Just back from a Easter weekend break at the Killarney Royal, with our two year old child.

The hotel is centrally located and just a couple of minutes walk from the Killarney outlet centre.
Whilst they dont have their own car park, there is 24 hour public parking close by for 3 euro.

Staff are very friendly and helpful, and the food is outstanding. It really does feel like staying at someone's home rather than being in a faceless anonymous hotel. There was only a couple of families here on easter sunday but the staff even arranged a egg hunt for the littles one.

Bedrooms are larger than the average hotel room in Killarney, with spacious bathrooms. Good firm beds.

Failte ireland should really bring other hoteliers here, and let them see how a hotel should be run.

We have stayed in lots of hotels in Killarney over the year, but will only be staying here in future.

If you want to experience irish hospitality at its very best, make sure you book in here!!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
Dear Alanwexford

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We at Killarney Royal greatly appreciate such kind comments especially pertaining to our team. We are a family run business and every comment just like every guest means so much to us. Tracey organized the Easter egg hunt for the children and it was great entertainment not only for the children but for the adults also..

We would be honored to have you pass through our doors in the not so distant future and please contact me upon your return so I may personally oversee your time with us.

Brian Scally
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

Stayed one night and loved this hotel. The staff was wonderful and went out of their way to make us comfortable. Attitude of the staff showed a lot of pride in their establishment. Room was very clean and beds were so comfortable it was hard to get up in the morning!

Would definitely recommend this charming hotel.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Dear Bellamom123,

Thank you so much for your recent review on TripAdvisor. It was my great pleasure to pass your review on to the rest of the team. We are all delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit to Killarney and the Killarney Royal and hope that some day you may plan a return visit to us. We are a family run business and really appreciate such positive feedback. It would be my pleasure to oversee your return visit.

Brian Scally
mallow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2011

Spent 3 days in this wonderful hotel,and i would highly recommend it for its hospitality,food and very comfortable rooms.The staff are the friendliest and most helpful people we have ever met in any other hotel we have stayed in europe,i hope you keep this tradition,because this hotel is so friendly that it is more like visiting family than running a business.Simple things like aftenoon tea on arrival,sitting by an open fire in the lounge is for me the ideal setting.Thank you each and everyone for a memorable few days,will definately be back.Anne&Billy

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
Dear Doneraileanne,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderfull review on trip advisor. I am thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay here with us. As a family run hotel we do strive to offer our guests a "home away from home" experience and I am delighted to read that you captured the essence of what we stand for throughout your stay.

It was our pleasure to have made your stay a comfortable, enjoyable and memorable one. I will be sure to pass on your very kind comments to all of our staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Ipswich, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2011

My sister and I had the pleasure of staying @ the Killarney Royal for three nights last weekend. It was just what we wanted for our Irish vacation. The Staff was great with particular "APPLAUSE" to Maura, John & Deidra. Everyone went the extra mile including Maura arranging for the chef to get my car out of the car park! On Sunday, we also enjoyed having afternoon tea in the lobby. It was nice sitting by the fire having tea & reading the Sunday papers. It was clear from sitting there that The Royal is a place where local people come for s sip of wine or tea with friends. How nice!
I can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Dear GrammyKathy,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at The Killarney Royal Hotel.

Great to hear your sampled our afternoon tea, it's a lovely treat. It is always great to hear of guests enjoying our Hotel and I will pass on your kind "Appaluse" to the staff you mentioned. I look forward to you and your sister returning to The Killarney Royal Hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate this.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

After an unfortunte death in the family hotel we were originally booked at, we found out we would be staying at the Killarney Royal instead.
The hotel is right off of the main shopping area in the downtown area. The location is great for shopping, restaurants, pubs, parking, and the national park entrance.
The staff was very helpful (thanks Kathrine!). The breakfast (both continental and the hot) are very good, we ate there all three mornings.
The rooms were large and very nice. One poor thing was that the 'queen' bed is really just two singles pushed together, but this was the same at other hotels also, so it may be a common thing over there. Be sure it ask if you would find this as a turn off though.
Great stay over all and we would recommend this to friends!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 31 March 2011
Dear KellyD2828,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us in The Killarney Royal Hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our breakfast, and after all it is the most important meal of the day! I will pass on your kind comments to Katherine as we do strive to create a pleasant atmosphere in the Hotel.

I sincerely hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Killarney Royal next time you are in Kerry, and great to hear that you will recommend The Killarney Royal to your friends.