“Comfortable friendly town centre hotel”
Review of Killarney Royal

Killarney Royal
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Leeds UK
“Comfortable friendly town centre hotel”
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Nice location in the centre of Killarney (great for pubs and music) - no dedicated parking but plenty of pay and display nearby. We were given a large room though it had no view. Service was friendly and efficient, the whole place spotless and well maintained. Dinner and breakfast in the restaurant were good - the Guiness at the bar excellent.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 11 June 2011
Dear grastejoh,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor. I would also like to thank you for such a positive response, It gives my team and I a great boost to read such reviews. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your trip to Killarney.

I am really glad that you enjoyed our cuisine and also our Guinness!! It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to the Royal Hotel and I hope to do so in the not too distant future.

Brian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 17 May 2011

On a recent visit to the royal we really enjoyed our stay with excellent location and friendly staff from dining room to reception

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Dear EOK206,

I would like to thank you for your recent review on tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay here with us. I will most definitely pass on your kind comments to all of our staff.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Royal Hotel in the very near future.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 13 May 2011

After a month away working in America I wanted a relaxing break away with my girlfriend when I got back. We chose here and it was the perfect choice. At the time of booking I didn't realise the rally of the lakes were on. This meant the town was a hive of activity, maybe a bit crazy at times. But this didn't affect our relaxing weekend away because the hotel was the perfect place to get away from it all. There were plenty of places to relax, either at the bar, the reception area or back in the room.

From the moment we stepped into the hotel we knew we had made the correct choice. Everyone we came across, both staff and guests, were very friendly and wanted to go the extra mile to make the stay extra special.

We stayed in room 208. It was an amazing room with a separate area for the bed and living area. The room was spotless and and felt like home. On our 1st night there we decided to eat at the bar and have a few drinks, the staff there were so nice and you could really see they enjoyed working here which added to the friendly atmosphere in the hotel. I went with the burger(I always do when I go for something to eat) and it was cooked to perfection. I was also delighted to see that they had cheesecake on the menu as well. My favourite dessert!

That night we had a great night sleep, it was so quiet even though outside there were plenty of loud cars spinning around. (I'm starting to sound a lot older than I really am now :-)) Next morning we went down for breakfast and it was really good. It was freshly cooked and hit the spot. No doubt I couldn't wait to get back down the next morning for more.

I have travelled around the world more than once and have stayed in many hotels along the way and this was one of the friendliest hotels of the lot. It doesn't feel like just any hotel, it felt like staying with a family.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will be back again soon.

Thanks to all the staff who made this stay so enjoyable, keep up the good work. See you all again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JNK883
Dear JNK883,

I would like to sincerely thank you for your wonderful review and for taking the time to do so. You did indeed pick a busy weekend for your break away, but i was delighted to read that despite this you had a relaxing stay with us! We strive to create "a home away from home" experience for all of our guests and i am so glad that you captured the essence of this.

Alot of our staff have been with us for many years and thoroughly enjoy what they do and strive to create a relaxed friendly atmosphere for all of our guests. I am delighted that you enjoyed our cuisine, and that we had some of your favourites on offer!

Thank you again for your very kind comments and i hope i have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Royal hotel very soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Just back from a weekend in the Royal Hotel with my sister and what a wonderful time we had. On arrival we recieved a warm welcome in the cosy reception area. Our room on the second floor was old style charm and quite spacious. We ate out in a beautiful seafood restaurant in the town recommended by reception. Breakfast in the hotel the next morning was delicious and the staff could not do enough for us. After a day of shopping and sightseeing we returned to our hotel and opted for barfood which was super, i would totally recommend there lamb cakes. We stayed on in the bar for a few quiet drinks, there is no live music however it is very relaxing .

Overall this is a charming hotel in a great location with friendly staff and delicious food.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Dear Mag48,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor and indeed for staying with us at Killarney Royal.

It was wonderful to read what an enjoyable recent stay you had with us. Thank you very much for all of the wonderful positive feedback about our hotel, staff and our cuisine. All feedback for our guests is very welcome and appreciated, but it is a great boost for myself and the whole team to receive such positive feedback. Thank you again.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Killarney Royal, hopefully in the not so distant future.

Regards

Cork
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Finally a family hotel that understands families. Have been going away for Easter weekends for a number of years now and it can be hard to find a hotel that is truly accommodating for young families. Location is good in the centre of town and there was a really nice atmosphere in the hotel from the moment we arrived. The room was lovely and really comfortable.

Ate in the restaurant both nights as we found the food to be excellent and the staff were great with the children. The Easter eggs for the kids were unexpected and a lovely touch. Will be going back next year.....if not sooner.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 16 May 2011
Dear JDNCork,

Firstly I would like to thank you and your family for choosing to stay at the Royal Hotel and also for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. It was our pleasure to look after your family and I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. As a family run hotel for generations we understand the values of family life and how important breaks away are especially for the younger ones! It was great to hear that you enjoyed out cuisine throughout your stay and I will be sure to pass on your very kind comments to the staff.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Royal Hotel very soon.

ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2011

After a 4 hour drive, on arrival we were met by Deirdre on reception. Made sure our afternoon tea booking was confirmed and went to our room.
The room was not good. Not good at all. The drawers in the wardrobe were broken with splintered wood and the bottoms falling out of them. The handle on the bedside cabinet had broken off so couldn’t be opened. A throw pillow on the bed was absolutely revoltingly stained. With what I’m not sure, looked like wine or some red liquid!!! I dread to think. It was a huge stain, half the size of the pillow itself! How this could have been placed on the bed by room service was I do not know but was a pretty lousy thing to see.

Was I just supposed to put up with it? To accept the stains and the broken furniture and the dirty bed? I just genuinely don't understand why any paying customer would have been given such a ramshackle and dirty room. We work too hard to smile politely and say that everything is fine. This took the shine off our weekend that we had been looking forward to for so long and could have ruined it. If i could have afforded to shell out for a second hotel, I would have.

But it didn’t stop there…

I pulled the duvet back and my heart sank and my jaw fell to see yellow and red stains on the duvet and the sheet, obviously bodily fluids! I could also see some strange black marks on the white sheet and realised that they were showing through from below. I pulled the sheet back to find thick black body hairs on the mattress!!! No mattress protector, what the hell was going on here? To be given a ramshackle room with broken furniture and stained bedlinen and huge long black hairs on the mattress???

I went downstairs to Deirdre on the reception desk and keeping my voice low, told her that the room was disgusting. She understably looked appalled and after just a couple of minutes, offered me a new room which was fine, at least it was clean. These things happen sometimes but for 139 euros per night, they shouldn’t happen and not to this revolting degree.

Afternoon tea was very nice, 3 tiers of little cakes, biscuits, mediocre sandwiches and scrumptious scones. The reception area looks amazing on the hotels very attractive website , but it is very deceptive. The furniture is threadbare and thick with dirt and grime. The whole hotel does look lovely on first glance but just don’t look closely at anything, most of the furniture is knocked, scraped and broken and dirty.

Turned out that the second room they gave us was over the bar so I could hear the thump thump music in the room and knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep there. I did feel bad going to the reception desk again, I really don’t like to make a fuss, but Maura on the desk was very good and gave me the choice of two rooms to choose from. Both nice rooms, but…again, both rooms have broken furniture and weren’t as clean as they should be. The beside lamps were mismatched and one had masking tape all over it to keep it together!!! The light flickered on and off and the light switch fizzed from the dodgy connection. Shabby and dangerous.
The shower curtain was stained with god knows what, some reddy / greeny goo, looked like snot to me. I didn’t say anything as I didn’t want to upset my travel companion and really, i just wanted the weekend in the hotel to be over by this stage.
They really need to have a deep clean of the whole hotel. Repair or replace the broken furniture. I don’t drive four hours to be put in a dirty room or a room with broken furniture. The whole place is tired. It looks nice on the surface but really needs a proper clean and proper revamp.

Breakfast had a good selection of the ususal, little pastries, cereals, juices, etc and you can order hot food. I ordered poached eggs, we both did, and were looking forward to golden molten yolks oozing out over hot buttered toast. They didn’t.
Two HARD BOILED poached eggs arrived…for both of us! Poached eggs with hard yolks. Incredible and unforgiveable. The next day I made sure to ask for the yolks to be runny and they were, but should I have to ask? Really?

Anyway, I did want to say that the staff here were absolutely excellent. Maura and Deirdre on reception were great and the two elder ladies serving in the dining room were hard worked but very good.

It’s a 3 star hotel but I really wish I had went to a different hotel. Would I recommend it? ABSOLUTELY NOT. Would I stay again? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Great staff let down by shoddy housekeeping and penny pinching management.

Killarney itself was lovely and the Ring of Kerry was incredible, so I would come back to Killarney but not to here. There are hundreds of hotels and guest houses in Killarney, it's a serious tourist centre so next time I'll choose better hopefully.

I did fret over leaving this review but at the end of the day, i've spent my hard earned money on this experience, so I should have the right to report it on TripAdvisor truthfully and that is what I have done.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cartagia
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 17 May 2011
Dear Cartagia,

Thank you for your recent review. I was shocked & disappointed to read its contents. May I start by apologising for the fact that your stay at Killarney Royal did not meet your expectations.We work very hard here at Killarney Royal to ensure all our guests enjoy their stay with us. Obviously, that did not happen on this occasion, for that I sincerely apologise.I have phoned you many times over the last number of days to discuss your concerns but I have not been able to reach you. Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Having read your review and inspected the rooms there were items that needed maintenance attention; the loose locker handle & damaged lamp are simply not good enough. Our furniture is individual antique pieces that get damaged from time to time but this is no excuse. The cleanliness of our hotel has never before been questioned and indeed this is something that we see as number one in terms of importance. You suggested a deep clean in your review. Let me assure you that this is something that is routinely carried out and in fact we recently won an award for the standard of our bedrooms. However, I would like to assure you that following your comments this is something that has been addressed.

For some time now we have enjoyed very positive reviews, (proofed by Trip Advisor), and it’s only fair that we must respond when we got it wrong, such as in your case. Mistakes were made and for that I apologise unreservedly. I would like to thank you for your feedback although disappointing to read we will certainly learn from it.

Regards
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Killaney Royal Hotel. The room was excellent, but the attention and assistance given to us by Catherine at the front desk was even better. She went out of her way to assist us with our needs, and took a sincere interest in our plans and our well being during our stay in Ireland. She exemplifies the wonderful, kind spirit of the Irish people we were privileged to meet. Thanks again for a memorable visit. Terry & Carolyn Trotier, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin, USA

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 4 May 2011
Dear Cttrotier

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Killarney Royal Hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the Hotel and particularly delighted to hear of your Kind comments about Catherine at the front Desk. It is what we aim to, at the Killarney Royal, and I am glad to hear you enjoyed the Irish People you met while on Holiday.

We hope you will return to the Killarney Royal when you visit Ireland again.

Kind regards