“What a lovely experience!”
Review of Killarney Royal

Killarney Royal
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Alexandria, VA
“What a lovely experience!”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We spent two nights at the Killarney Royal Hotel in January as part of a six day trip to Ireland. While this is a small boutique hotel, don't let that fool you. From the moment we walked in the door, we knew we were in for a treat. Our room was wonderful - cozy, clean and quiet. It was also quite large!

The staff is really the best part of this hotel. There is no parking at the hotel itself but the girl at the front desk showed us the lot just a few steps up the road where we could park overnight for only a few Euros. We were parched when we arrived and I asked where we could get a few bottles of water. Not necessary! A huge pitcher was delivered to our room within minutes and later in the day was replaced with another fresh pitcher.

We were so impressed with the way the staff went out of their way for us. We accidentally overslept one morning and missed the breakfast. They made a place for us in the lounge and brought out scones and coffee. We were provided with great directions and recommendations for local sites, meals, etc. and speaking of meals, the hotel restaurant is fantastic! Definitely rates four stars! Don't hesitate to stay at this lovely little hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Thank you for your very kind words about our Property and especially our Staff, which are our greatest asset to the Killarney Royal Hotel. I am delighted to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Hopefully, I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Bryan Scally

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Dublin
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This hotel was recommended to us by a close friend, while at first I was a bit apprehensive after viewing the hotel website and looking through the photo gallery I thought that I would be disappointed with the what I would call the "old world" feel to the hotel. On recent trips away over the past few years you would get used to the new boutique style of hotels with dark lighting, modern furnishings and access to a lot of modern facilities in the way of in room media and leisure facilities etc. I have to admit I was wrong in being apprehensive. The Killarney Royal is beautifully presented hotel with a mix of antique features and furnishings in the hotel rooms, dining room and the hotel foyer and reception is very comfortable with access to newspapers, wifi and even a lovely chess board, while the bar bistro is very contemporary. Bathrooms were very spacious and were fitted his and her sinks, although the showers thermostats could do with an adjustment as we felt that the showers could have being hotter. Our friends that had stayed in the past remarked on the same problem. Beds were very very comfortable making it next to near impossible to get up out of bed, I would love to know where they got their matteress from as I would get one in the morning for my home. The food was very good, breakfast was lovely and made to order, the food in the bar/bistro was also very good quality. The tea they served there was worth every penny. But by far the best feature of this hotel is the service from the hotel staff. It was fantastic, we arrived down late one morning for breakfast, this would be an issue in other hotels who would finish up dead on time. The staff here said to us no problem and went away and cooked us up a lovely fresh breakfast. Bar and bistro staff were lovely and the ladies on reception didn't even need to know our room number if we went to collect our key they would for some reason know instinctively what our room number was. They are to me the unique selling point of this hotel and I commend them for that level of service they give. The only real gripe I would have was the temperature of the shower and the hassle with having to park the car in a nearby pay and display car park. But overall it was by far the best hoteling experience we have had to date. Will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Trekex,

Thank you for taking time to write your reviews. We do appreciate your feed-back and are addressing those issues to ensure we continue the great service we pride in giving our Guests
The team here at the Killarney Royal Hotel are delighted with such lovely comments and strife to ensure all of our Guests have great memories during their stay of the Killarney Royal Hotel.

Bryan Scally
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I came to Killarney Oct. 15, 2011 thru Nov. 30, 2011 to visit my father who lives in Killarney. Being from Massachusetts originally, we LOVE seafood! We had "seafood chowder w/bread & butter" and "hot tea" @ 6 different 5 Star Hotels, but, "Killarney Royal Hotel" beats them all, hands-down! Killarney Royal is best "atlantic seafood chowder" we ever experienced! Loved relaxing & eating by the fireplace, beautiful furnishings and ambiance too! We dined hear at least 6 x's during visit w/my Dad. Waiters were wonderful & bent over backwards to make us feel "at home" in the front living-room area by the fireplace. The very best!!!

Room Tip: We did not stay @ this Hotel, as my DAD lives in house in Killarney. I dined here w/my DAD at least...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Deborah T

It’s a delight to hear from you. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our cuisine (our Atlantic Seafood Chowder) so much.
Next time you must try more of our lovely dishes.
We hope to see you again soon and maybe next time you can stay with us in the Killarney Royal Hotel we would be overjoyed to see you.

Woacester, MA
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Who goes to Killarney in January? we do - love to visit the relatives. Royal was recommended. We stayed for 6 nights. Accommodations, food, service , staff were as perfect as you can get. Best recommendation is the longevity of the staff. They really enjoy their jobs-- Margaret enticed me to post this -- She was a great ad for the staff @ The Royal. Billy never took a break and was very congenial. Brian Scally was also darting back & forth to take care of all the customers.

Could not give a better recommendation

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear John363Worcestle

Firstly let me start by saying I am delighted to here you enjoyed your time with us.

Margaret and Billy were delighted to hear from you. We do feel as it our guests are our extended family so we always look after them.

We hope to see you again soon.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Just returned from a great weekend in the Killarney Royal Hotel..It is in an ideal spot in the centre of town, it is a gorgeous boutique hotel, A really cosy hotel..All the staff are lovely and friendly..The food was devine, you couldnt fault it and plenty of it too...Our room was warm and inviting..If you are looking for a special hotel well look no further than this little gem!!

Dear Michelle B,

Its lovely to hear you enjoyed your week end with us.

We do strive to create a warm and homely environment for our guests. Delighted to hear you enjoyed our cuisine. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team.

We hope to see you again soon

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Where to start! I've heard good reviews about this hotel, and I must say, I certainly understand the hype! We went with a package which was two nights B&B and one evening 3 course dinner, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

HOTEL & LOCATION
Hotel was located in the center of the town and you could use the carpark behind it which was €3 for 24 hours. Interior of the hotel was divine, so quaint and had that real boutique style going on which was just to my taste. It also was very much a "the more you look the more you see" type place, by which the more I was looking, I was able to see lots of cute little touches here and there.

ROOM
I was in love with my room. Had a Old French vibe with all antique style furniture. Room also had an automatic golf putter which my partner got much amusement from! Bed was lovely, huge and lovely feeling covers. Bathroom was large with two sinks and marble all over.

FOOD
My god, the food! Started off with the soup, as I didn't want to over-indulge..but I actually couldn't believe the quality of it, never in my life had I tasted better soup, and came with a variety of fresh bread etc. Main course and dessert were top notch also. Had the fry for breakfast, gorgeous! and of course, I ate my weight in the pastries too (who couldn't!). Tea came in sterling silver old fashioned tea pots which little strainers as they used real loose tea leaves....wow!

STAFF
Every member of staff I met were extremely friendly and welcoming (and not that fake, put on type!)

OVERALL
Will definitely be going back! Can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Cathy Mo,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. The team were delighted to read it and to hear you enjoyed your time with us so much.

We do aim to please and to have a very unique atmosphere to the hotel. We would like to think we create a homely and cosy environment for people to relax and unwind in.

Thank you again for your kind words.

clonmel
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Just returned from a five night stay at this wonderful hotel. To say that we were happy with the hotel would be an understatement as were AMAZED and in AWE of the beautiful elegant old style hotel.
On arrival the entrance is welcoming and warm, the class of this hotel is evident from the get go. The main reception area is homely and cosy with a beautiful open fire and plenty of comfortable seating with views of the bustling street outside. At the reception desk we were greeted with a warm friendly smile and made to feel welcome instantly.Check in was quick and smooth and the offer of our luggage to be brought to our room was much appreciated.
The hallways are quaint and elegantly decorated with quirky little features on each landing, and various pictures on the walls with warm lighting.
On entering our room number 215 we were taking aback by the sheer beauty of it. The décor of the room was warm and inviting with lovely ceiling to floor curtains, cream walls and cream carpet. The options for lighting was great as there was two bed side lamps,a corner stand lamp and the option of spot lights.This helped to create a warms atmosphere. The bed was huge and unbelievably comfortable, I can easily say I had some of my best nights sleep at this hotel (",) Also all rooms come with air con which for summer months would be ideal. Air con is a luxury offered by few hotels without extra charge.
The bathroom was also stunning boasting his and hers sinks, a shower and bath packed with many little conveniences such as shower gel, shampoo, helpful beauty kits, shoe buffer and shower caps. It also had fancy shower robes which was an elegant touch. It was a great size too so that it did not steam up like many hotel rooms do.
On arrival and each night we were provided with a bucket of ice and a fresh jug of water which was a nice little touch and very convenient.
The cleanliness of the room has to be mentioned it was literally spotless and couldn't find a fault even if we wanted to. The standard of room maintenance and service is second to none. On one occasion also a member of bar staff was so kind and insisted on carrying our drinks to our room for us.

Overall the hotels name describes it the best THE KILLARNEY ROYAL HOTEL is in fact just that. Not only is it a royal hotel but the service, the room, the location everything about this hotel made us feel like royalty.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough. People you need to stay here. If your looking for a quite friendly hotel with an amazing atmosphere and excellent location and great rates then look no further.

We will definitely be back again at some stage this year and we cant wait. Thanks a million to all at this hotel for making our stay so amazing and memorable. Regards Tony and Niamh.

Highly recommended hotel and WILL NOT disappoint.

3 Thank Nia19
Killarneyroyal, Manager at Killarney Royal, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear Nia19,

Firstly let me start by saying thank you for taking the time to write such a warm review, reviews like yours mean the world to the team here at the Killarney Royal Hotel.
We do aim to give that home away from home atmosphere. So thank you for your generous review of the décor of the hotel. We do strive to be unique and different and believe it’s the small touches that set us apart from the rest and which makes us a home for our guest more then just another hotel on their travels.
As the team views themselves as a family we do try to give all our guests that feeling that they are part of our little family while they are with us.
Thank you for recommending us to others we deeply appreciate this.

Thank you once again for your kind words and we look forward to seen you again in the very near future.

Kind Regards,