“Was hesitant at first, but Glad i took the chance!”

Killarney Oaks Hotel
Ranked #29 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Coventry
“Was hesitant at first, but Glad i took the chance!”
Reviewed 30 March 2009

I booked this as a shortbreak when travelling around Cork & Kerry with my wife.
I was a bit hesitant at first based on the previous reviews, but must admit, either I was very lucky, or peoples expectations are too high. We had a great stay and will be back again in September for my cousins wedding.

I Booked directly with the hotel after seeing their rates on a website. I actually got a better price on the room than the website from contacting them directly.
We arrived early and were swifly and politely checked in by the receptionist. Room was just what we needed, clean and comfortable. We had a big lunch when wandering round the town, so only opted for some food in the bar later that evening. The food was tasty and service was again attentive and friendly. There was a function taking place, but this did not affect us, and actually added to the atmosphere.
Breakfast was a great selection and just what we needed to start the day. We were kindly allowed to check out slightly later than normal, as we were meeting friends that afternoon and didn't want to roam around anymore as the weather was too chilly.
Overall, we had a great stay, from arrival, to our late check out and found the staff there to be accommodating and friendly and we would recommend it. Whether there has been a change in staff or not, none of the previous issues were witnessed by us and we were glad we took a chance.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hebrew first
Limerick
Reviewed 26 February 2009

I stayed here with my husband on Valentines weekend. It was absolutely fabulous. The room was beautifully decorated, very plush.
The food was excellent, my husband really loved the prawns.
I found the staff really helpful and naturally friendly.
There was a good music session in the hotel bar.
The hotel is situated a15 minute walk from town right on the edge of the national park ideal for those romantic walks.It's also very close to two 18 hole championship golf courses and two 9 hole courses.
We received 5 star food and service at 3 star prices. My husband and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I attended a wedding and the wedding recption was held at this hotel, the decorations and the overall presentation of everything was amazing, the promptness of the service was pheominal, as there were lots of guests. The staff at the hotel were very polite, and willing to help any guest, the food was fantastic, as we also ate in the acorn bar the day after. This hotel was beautiful, and it was a wedding to remember!!!

Stayed January 2009
Cork
Reviewed 7 January 2009

Would like to pass on a review of the Killarney Oaks following my stay there last weekend - 3rd January 2009.

Booked a double room through an internet website for my sister-in-law and myself. When I arrived at the hotel, I was informed by a very rude receptionist that there were no rooms available and I would have to stay in the Holiday Homes next door. Was appalled to hear that there was no availability having booked and paid for the room two months previously but decided to check out the alternative accomodation. The Holiday Home was located away from the hotel in a very secluded and dark corner. Totally unsuitable for two females. Requested to see the manager of the hotel, who eventually arrived in a very harassed state. He gave me no satisfaction at all - his two options being to stay in the holiday home or book into the Holiday Inn further away for an extra amount of money. His attitude was terrible - totally unsuitable for a manager. He kept telling us that there was a function on and he had no time to deal with us. After several attempts to secure a room - we were lucky enough that our friends who were also staying in the hotel decided to double up and let us have their room. Very disappointed with the staff overall in this hotel - the attitude of the manager and one of the receptionists was totally out of order. Would not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The Staff - Recptionist and Manager
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank KentKatie
Ireland
Reviewed 21 November 2007

Nice hotel, staff are friendly and all our requests were dealt with promptly. Decor is good and it appears as though the place was refurbished in the last few years although our room was begining to show some signs of wear and tear. If you are going to stay there be sure and ask for a room that doesnt face the gravel carpark to the side - the noise from cars turning a few feet from where you are sleeping was dissapointing. The beds are comfy though and you get a proper duvet - on the downside the showers have a shower curtain which is a pet hate of mine, gets sucked in towards you when the shower is turned on and is generally not hygienic. Food there is ok - but its nothing special despite the decor of the restaraunt and the prices they are charging. If I was going to Killarney again I would probably have a look at some other hotels before automatically returning to this one - all in all not a bad place though.

• Liked — Comfy bed, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Noisy gravel carpark outise our window, shower curtains!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Irish1978
Ire
Reviewed 20 November 2007

Staff employed simply do not seem to be trained in customer servive.

We made the booking directly with the hotel over the phone and they promised to send on written confirmation which they never did. On arrival, they had no record of this. Luckily there was a room available however, it was a smoking room and the smell still lingered. Given that this was a bank holiday weekend, we had no choice of an alternative.

We were also informed on checking in that food was available in the bar until 9 but as there was a wedding on, we probably should avoid the bar between 6-8 as they wouldn't be able to faciliate serving the wedding and residents requiring food! This is simply unbelievably that a hotel can take bookings but can't actually cater for the numbers. We paid good money to stay here and being told we cannot be provided with food at certain times is just not acceptable in an area that relies soley on Tourism.

That night, at 2 am, there was a kncok at the bedroom door and a key card was used to open the door and a man walked in! When we mentioned this at reception next morning, the staff said they had not been told about this incident but acknowledged that it must have been a member of staff given that a keycard was used and asked if we were being noisy! Notwithstanding that a member of staff checking this would simply have to listen outside a room before entering, we were asleep..in darkness. The staff had the audacity to blame us for the intrusion.

Breakfast is also poor. There is limited staff on and no-one seats you. Tables weren't cleared quickly. It is self service but once we queued for food and sat down, we had to wait to ask staff for cutlery which took ages to arrive while our breakfasts got colder and colder. We aslo ordered tea and were brought out one small pot. The was slammed down on the table. When we requested a 2nd (there were two of us), the member of staff pointed to the tiny pot and said it was already there. We were just shocked that there was an issue with bringing a 2nd pot of tea - afterall, they do only contain one teabag so it wasn't a desperately unreasonably request.

The overall attitude was unpleasant, unpolite, unfriendly and unhelpful. If you are parting with good money to pay for staff to meet basic requests than this isn't the place for you. We felt we were a burden and no apology was proffored for the midnight intrusion. There is an abundance of accommodation in Killarney so take the time to choose an alternative if at all possible to get treated properly. I also emailed the hotel about all the above issues and having not received so much as an acknowledgement, I wrote to them...funnily enough I am still awaiting a response! This is clearly not a company I would wish to leave any more hard earned money with.

• Liked — Beds are comfortable
  • Disliked — Staff were really unhelpful and actually made us feel unwelcome and a burden to them!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank IreMuse_27
Cork
Reviewed 23 October 2007

I stayed here with a friend for one night. The decor is nice but the lack of a swimming pool for the price of the room was unacceptable. Also, the swinging doors on the corridor woke both of us up early in the morning and there was no going back to sleep as people were continuously passing through. Dont think I would return.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Lack of swimming pool and noise
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends