“Never Take THE LAST ROOM”

Riverside Hotel Killarney
Ranked #23 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Newry, United Kingdom
“Never Take THE LAST ROOM”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Riverside Hotel on 16th August past and we were very disappointed with the quality of the room.
1. There was no central heating in the room (only an electric heater on the wall, which could be construed as a fire hazard if it had stayed on long enough to build up a bit of heat. We swiched it on when we went back to the room about 10.30pm but no light came on for approx 15 minutes and when it did warm up the smell of burning dust was bad and my husband said not to leave it on, so about 11.45pm I got up to switch it off again and it was already cold.  This meant when we got up in the morning the room was cold also.

2. There was a cushion on top of the bed with a whiteish stain which looked like bodily fluid. Disgusting.

3. The quilt had a tear on the top left corner of approx 3 inches, the stuffing was sticking out and there were several hairs stuck to this. This made me think that there should have been another cover on top of the quilt, otherwise everyone sleeps under the same dirty quilt. Again disgusting.

4. All I wanted for breakfast was a bowl of porridge, and they even managed to bring that to me at only luke warm temperature although when I asked for it to be warmed the staff did this.

When I spoke to the receptionist the next morning she just kept saying why did I not come and complain the night before. Perhaps I should have, but as I was already undressed and getting into bed to keep warm I thought I would just wait until the morning.

This may sound very harsh, but I came away from your hotel with the impression that because we got one of the last available rooms it was take it or leave it, and as I had already paid when we arrived I felt we were just being fobbed off, and I even asked if all the rooms cost the same because at 149 euro, that's a lot of money for a poor quality and the most expensive room we paid for in Killarney.

Hopefully there will be improvements made to Room 111 as I would not be recommending your hotel to anyone and will be putting a poor review on trip advisor in the

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 656holidaymaker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Upminster
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The website encouraged me to give this hotel a go and we were not disappointed. Exceptionally friendly staff, great service from all the staff from reception to night staff. They were always willing to go the extra mile. Rooms were spotless and well maintained and the food was excellent. A great experience and we will defo be back next year

Room Tip: 2nd floor for me
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is clean and bright. The restaurants are handy and competent in case you just don't want to brave Killarney traffic. The staff is friendly and ready to help with anything you need. We enjoyed our stay very much.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is really past old, it's in dire need of a renovation. The furniture is old and scuffed. There's dust all over everything, and there are funny smells around. Like the smell my vacuum cleaner makes when it's been in the closet for a while. The shower curtain is musty and the towels are small and thin. I don't know what the cost of this hotel is because we were here on a tour, so I can't speak to the value. There was one redeeming quality though, the food was really delicious. And that is saying something. Usually hotels feed groups with whatever's been in the fridge the longest, but not this place. They gave us a great meal. Unfortunately the property is just poor.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eliza P
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Location is close to the city center where all the restaurants and shops are but it's not in a noisy location as some hotels can be too close to the action. I had to see to find a doctor immediately and the front desk called a clinic that could take me on a Sunday. I was seen within a few hours. It was hard to believe we didn't waste our precious vacation time sitting in an emergency room for hours like you do in the US. I would definitely stay here again. The room was comfortable and the town was enchanting. Killarney is lovely!

Room Tip: Stay here is you like a 4 star experience and the charm of a B&B.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 100gracem
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Riverside Hotel. All the staff were knowledgeable about the area and were very helpful and friendly no matter what time of day, especially Christy in the Bistro Bar.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Colmcille736
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel twice this summer, and both times it was excellent. Staff & management were excellent to us due to a double death in our family. All we can say is many thanks. Next year we will be back in the Riverside Hotel again

• Stayed July 2014