“disgusted with the way we were treated”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Neptunes Hostel

Neptunes Hostel
Melbourne, Australia
“disgusted with the way we were treated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

we booked a room over the phone with neptunes one week before arriving.. spoke to two different staff and gave visa card details.. arrived on the day to be told they had no record of us or our booking.... and had no available rooms on the night.. guy behind desk also said it was the third time it had happened that day... no apology or any consession was given just a VERY vague list of possible other hostels in kilarney...

found they didn't care about the fact we were stuck with no where to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights while traveling through Ireland and were very pleased with the service and price. For a hostel Neptune's is quite good, and we had an excellent and clean little private room with our own shower/bathroom. The breakfast was a nice touch, and the we received great advice from the staff members about where to go and what to see in the area. For the budget travel this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Sebastopol, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I can't say enough good things about this hostel. To me, the most important quality that a hostel can have is a warm and welcoming environment and the ability to easily meet fellow travelers. Neptune's has all of these qualities, and then some. The staff are unfailingly friendly, and full of suggestions and recommendations if you're looking for them. I decided at the last minute to visit the Gap of Dunloe, but I had missed the tour by 30 minutes. The woman at the desk helped me arrange alternate transportation, and called ahead so that the boat would wait for me until a quarter past 2. I noticed this level of service between the staff and other guests as well. They clearly want to make sure that their guests have the best possible time in Killarney, and it shows.

Yes, the rooms are small and the showers don't have the best water pressure. But I have to say, I slept great in my little bunk and the comforter was awesome. The communal kitchen is amazing. It's huge, with 6 large burners and an oven. There are plenty of pots, pans, cooking utensils, dishes, and glasses. Everyone seemed to cook their meals here, which made it really easy to meet and connect with fellow travelers. There is also a really cute little common room with a TV, board games, and a decent library. The free breakfast of toast, cereal, coffee, orange juice and tea was great. They also offer free wi-fi. The location is perfect, nestled right in the heart of town and close to everything. I really didn't want to leave, and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank cerrizle
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

This hostel is fine as long as you have a packed programme and don’t have to spend too much time in the clean but quite depressing rooms. You’re paying for a clean bed and a bathroom but don’t expect much more. The staff are friendly and helpful and the communal kitchen and ‘living room’ are ample. They also have free internet and a computer in the reception area. You can also park your car for free overnight in the nearby church parking lot.

We were there on a Saturday night and it was super loud from the street outside- full of rowdy drunk revellers, so you might not get the greatest night sleep. The sound may be a bit more muted depending on what side of the hostel your room is located.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Staff were very friendly. Location was good. Room was nice, and a lot more spacious that most shared rooms. Bathroom was clean, but the shower was a little cold....

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

The hostel is home to a very friendly staff and offers many tours and deals. I was disappointed by the very small twin room I received which was smaller than a prison cell. The quality of the shared toilets was very low and the flow of water was extremely weak in a way that no one should be showering. I got tickets for a tour to the ring of Kerry from the hostel. I was quite disappointed by it, it turned out to be quite the tourist trap ripoff.

• Stayed May 2011
Saint Marys, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2011

Even though I was traveling with a tour group and everything was prearranged, I couldn't have picked a better hostel myself! If you're looking for a great place to stay in the party town of Killarney, this is it! I lucked into a 3-person set-up and even ended up with a full bed, which of course enhanced my experience, as I had been expecting a tiny, more typical hostel bed. My only complaint about this place is that the water pressure was low - but I still managed to shower, so all in all, it made for a great night. Neptunes is very close to anywhere you might want to go in Killarney. The place is very safe - a security guard stopped a friend and I as we entered the lane just to see our security pass and key card. Free WiFi is available downstairs, and they even have one computer that's free for guests to use!

• Stayed March 2011