“Lovely Staff, nice hotel but not sure about 4 Stars”
Review of Dromhall Hotel

Dromhall Hotel
Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This is a lovely hotel and staff are very friendly. They are also a Pet friendly hotel which is a bonus for anyone who likes to take their pets with them. Personally I would have expected more from a 4 star. Could not fault the service and the rooms were adequate. Bathroom was OK, one tube of Shower Gel and one Tube of Shampoo each, fine for a one night stay, but would have expected some body lotion at a min when rated as 4 star. Only a minor issue. Breakfast was fine, not excessive, no choice of yogurt drinks, at the buffet and would have expected a bigger range of options, perhaps because we had breakfast at approx 10.45 we may have missed some of the choice. We had full Irish and in fairness it was served very promptly, toast was a little scarce but there was plenty of bread available at the buffet. Overall good value.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
BernadetteRandles, General Manager at Dromhall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear joannoel

Thank you for your review, following your recent stay with us. I'm pleased that, overall, you enjoyed your stay and found it to be good value. We replenish the shower gel and shampoo tubes daily for guests staying on more than one night, as would be standard in most hotels. We do normally supply body lotion and I'm sorry that this was missing in your room.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your full Irish breakfast. We're always happy to supply more toast, should guests request it - we just try to cut down on wastage.

I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again one day.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed here last summer while doing a tour of Kerry. Had previously stayed in a b&b for 2 nights and moved here for the last night mainly because wanted to use a pool after all the touring. On the morning we went down to check out and had planned on using pool afterwards. We were told the pool was closed (it was 12.30 on a sunday) we were then told we should have gotten up earlier. Hotel was ok but overpriced in my opinion. Got food in the hotel bar and this was very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nicwal86

Dear nicwal86

Thank you for your review, following your stay with us last summer. I'm sorry that we didn't fully come up to your expectations. Our pool would normally always be open at that time in high season so I can only think it must have been temporarily closed for a technical reason. I'm sorry that you weren't able to use it. I'm sure the comment made to you about getting up earlier was meant in jest, but I apologise if it came across the wrong way.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed the food in our Kayne's Bar & Bistro.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Service was great. The hotel not so much. It was cold, tile floors. I am sure it would be appreciated in the summer but in the winter, not such much. The beds were the hardest mattresses that I have ever slept on. Very uncomfortable. The bar/pub was O.K. Tomas was great and he worked his butt off for the patrons.. I would not stay there again in the winter.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob R
BernadetteRandles, General Manager at Dromhall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Bob R

Thank you for your review, following your recent visit to our hotel. I'm sorry that you didn't entirely enjoy your stay with us. Marble and tiled floors are often a feature of Irish Hotels - but I do wish to make it clear that all our bedrooms are fully carpeted. I'm sorry too that the mattress was not to your liking. It's very hard to find a mattress that suits all of our guests, but I must say that we rarely get complaints about them and often receive comments about how comfortable our beds are.

On the plus side, I'm pleased that you appreciated our staff and that you enjoyed Kayne's Bar and the service. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Tomas.

Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel one day.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed in the Dromhall for 2 fabulous nights with our dog. If you want to get away and relax in a luxury room with your dog “Well this is what you are looking for”. The Dromhall has the friendliest staff that could not have done more for us and our dog, great service, good food for breakfast and dinner and your dog is made so so welcome, which is so important to us. It is perfect a pet friendly paradise and we will certainly be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Maria K

Thank you so much for your lovely review, following your recent visit to our hotel. It was indeed our pleasure to have you as guests and I'm delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. It was heart-warming to read your comments about our staff, our food and our hotel in general.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Dromhall Hotel.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

A family of 6 stayed over this weekend. I'm sorry to be a drip, but I was sorely disappointed. Our room was fine, but the furniture needs some TLC...The taps in the bathroom were dirty underneath (I cleaned them myself)...Staff were lovely, but breakfast was skimpy (3 slices of toast for 6 adults????)...Had bar food there on our first night...portions were skimpy for the price. Bad value for money. We went to another hotel last night (we had bar food there on a previous visit to Killarney) same price but twice the amount and no distance away, no comparison. Overall I think four star hotel is pushing it...Maybe it's because we were on vouchers!!!!. Won't be going back...

Room Tip: We were in front facing rooms on 2nd floor...no problems.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear blueeyesIreland

Thank you for your review, following your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read that we did not come up to your expectations and I wish to apologise for this. It's most unusual for us to receive a review such as yours - we normally receive great feedback on our rooms and our food. I'm pleased that you found our staff lovely.

Regarding the toast at breakfast, we would have been only too happy to have given you more had you asked for it. Like most hotels and restaurants, we are trying to cut down on wastage. Regarding your portion size in Kayne's, we've never encountered this complaint before but I will certainly look into it.

Re your comment about being on vouchers, I can assure you that we treat all our guests equally and do not discriminate.

Again, please accept my apologies for your disappointing stay and if there is anything that I can do to enhance a future stay with us, please do contact me personally.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed for two nights with my fiance just before Christmas and it was an amazing stay. The room had a partial view of the mountains and of the town itself, the bed was huge (a king zip) and comfortable. The staff including the breakfast/reception and bar staff were friendly, polite and hyper-efficient without seeming cloying or fake in any way. We had dinner at the hotel bar, Kayne's Bar & Bistro and the main courses were delicious and well-priced, Kayne's is worth a visit even if not staying at the hotel. We did not get a chance to try out the pool/spa so I can't rate it but we had breakfast at the hotel both mornings and it was beautiful...huge portions, a mix of continental and cooked to order and the restaurant itself is very elegant, all white and sparkling silverware, really makes you aware you are on holidays and being pampered. Lastly, the hotel itself, from it's stunning lobby with sweeping staircase (looked especially great all decorated for Christmas) to it's lovely but very down to earth staff is a great example of a "proper" 4-star Irish hotel, not just another cookie-cutter chain/franchise property. We would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask if a corner room is available, extra special views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BFar14
BernadetteRandles, General Manager at Dromhall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2014

Dear BFar14

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review, following your recent visit. I was delighted to read your comments.

You clearly enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us and I'm pleased that we ticked all the boxes for you. As a family-run and operated hotel, feedback such as yours is very important to us and I will be sure to pass it on to the staff. I'm pleased that you also enjoyed the food while you were here, plus your visit to our Kayne's Bar & Bistro.

If you're tempted to return to us for your wedding ..... I can promise you a day to remember!

Thank you again - we look forward to welcoming you back one day.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed in 2011 (earliest drop-down option was Feb 2013 in review selection) so please bear this in mind ......for a Friday night ahead of a wedding, having flown in from London. Arriving so late, the kitchens were closed, yet we were still courteously offered something to eat in the bar - a hearty, Irish-style sandwich with trimmings was absolutely spot on. We found the room immaculate and spacious, bathroom was great and overall, the hotel and staff beyond criticism - and what great value (we paid about £70 for a double room and breakfast).

The breakfast was outstanding - my other half can snaffle away a truckload of food - and even he struggled to finish his. Freshly cooked to order and very pleasant service all round.

Not having used the leisure facilities, I cannot comment on whether these are in accordance with the relevant hotel ratings.

On a slightly unrelated note, but to demonstrate the helpfulness of the staff : we stayed closer to the wedding venue on the Saturday night, and were due to fly back to England on the Sunday. However, the volcano eruption in Iceland threatened our plans and we returned to the Dromhall to see if we could use their facilities (internet etc ...) to research travel options. Even though we had checked out and were no longer staying/paying guests, the staff on reception were extremely helpful.

From my experience, I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel - ideal location for visiting the beautiful sights of Kerry (and, for what it's worth, I would suggest that if you have to make a choice between 'doing' the Ring of Kerry or the Dingle Peninsula - go for the latter : far greater drama in the landscape and coastline).

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear mhan44

Thank you so much for your lovely review following your stay with us. I don't know why you weren't able to leave a review until now - I will look into it.

I was delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you were well looked after by our staff. We receive a lot of compliments in particular about our standard of service and the quality of our food, and I'm pleased that you didn't find us wanting at all in these 2 important areas.

I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again one day.