“It's about atmosphere not luxury people” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Killarney International Youth Hostel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Killarney International Youth Hostel
Cork
“It's about atmosphere not luxury people”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2011

First of all I've read all of the former reviews and they are all correct in their way. This is an old "english" manor house which has been transformed into a hostel. There is no fanciness to it but it does have an old world charm about it. The strange thing was it felt as if I had joined a commune in the 1960's. The hippie element is very much in residence however it is very difficult to determine the staff from the residents. And they make A LOT of noise. And it is ALL in German. It does quiet down after say, 10pm, however I would not bring children here unless it is for a large group gathering. There is a LOT of drinking going on between residents and some staff and there are no outdoor facilities for kids. The woods are very scary and quite wet. Which can be fun in groups but I would not allow children to wander about. I had my adult son with me and we were charged 16.50 per person per night. Cheapest accommodation in Killarney I can guarantee however it is rustic and very basic. The bunk beds are very old and very uncomfortable and squeak squeak squeak.
But I liked this place it did not feel foreboding or "haunted", although considering it's history it should have, it felt like an old man. A bit rough, wrinkly and grey but full of interesting stories and not without it's old charm.

Room Tip: No such thing
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Building looks great. Rooms just not up to the price. Asked for a room with 2 beds. Got 2 bunks that squeaked. Dirty. No ensuite for price similar to a B and B. Cost way over the top for quality. Several things didnt work. Toilets and shower old and grubby. Cleaning done by residents who dont pay and so dont care. Not again. Just not worth the price condidering out of town. A rabbit warren

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Killarney hotels

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

We stayed there as part of a Wilderness First Aid course, we were there for 2 nights. The first night we had a room to ourselves (my wife and ) which had 2 bunk beds, and the second night we shared with 2 people on the course. This was fine, all arranged before we booked. the toilets and showers were clean, but the shower could do with more hooks to hang things up.
The breakfast was basic, but fine.
There are nice hikes from just outside the door, and you can rent bikes at the hostel. there is a pub within 300 metres walk, which is nice.
They have a really nice reading room with a good selection of books / games.

We were given fresh sheets when we checked in, you put them on the bed yourself. they were spotless, no worries there.

Room Tip: ask for the smaller rooms for just 4, room 7 was nice.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ifwdc
Munich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

When arriving at the hostel it was all WOW at first sight.
A beautiful old house in a nice - well - kinda park, quite remote, quiet, just what I've been looking for.
18 Euro per night for a 12 bed dorm was the first time I thought about having made the wrong choice. But I hadn't seen the dorm yet.
The beds old & uncomfortable, definitly not worth the already mentioned 18 Euro.
Luckily I was the first to arrive in the room so I could mix & match a clean bed. Not only the linnen I recieved at the reception were dirty. "We send them away & don't clean them ourselves" this may be an excuse for the linnen, but even the sheets, that the STAFF put on, were filthy. And I'm talking "Please-let-this-only-be-a-chocolate-stain!"-filthy.
On the not too clean-hoovered carpet in my room there were all in all THREE chewing gums to be found (Yes, those CAN be removed even from a carpet!).
And the best part is yet to come: after my first night in the doorm two beds were removed. Guess, where the sheets were put? Right: without any cover on the floor under the remaining beds.
So it's no wonder, another reviewer wrote about the strange smell in the room.
If I hadn't been too exhausted to look for another hostel, I had left the minute I had seen the dorm.
All in all it's a real shame since the hostel is beautifully located near the Killarney National Park & one can start some nice walks from the hostel.
But I'll definitly never visit this hostel again nor can I recommend it to any fellow travelers - pick another one in the town. It can hardly be more expensive or dirtier.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank LizzyM_9
Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2009

My husband and I had booked a private twin room, so I was very surprised to be in a room with two bunk beds (four beds total) and even more worried that our room would not be private when I overheard the girl at the desk saying they were full for the night. However, we were the only ones in our room, which I thought a bit strange - but anyway.

The hostel is about 4kms from Killarney so you really need a car to get there. They do hire bikes and (apparently) run a shuttle bus in summer. There is not much else around in Fossa, where the hotel is located, so you really need to go to Killarney for everything.

The hostel is in a large, lovely old building. The communal toilets and showers were clean, but the showers have no locks or place to put your belongings - you just have to leave them outside the shower curtain on a bench.

As another reviewer commented, many of the guests in the hostel were older - several appeared to be on walking and cycling trips.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank taniah
gothenburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2007

I had a really wonderful time at this hostel,
the environment was beautiful but the best thing was
the atmosphere, it was very friendly.
felt more like a home or something, than a hostel.
the staff was really nice and we had fun here. Just wish we had stayed longer, I really want to go back soon =)

• Liked — the friendly atmosphere and the staff (THEY WERE GREAT!)
  • Disliked — the room that smelled funny :P
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank holdencaulfield
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2005

Beautiful grounds, and area, lovely house. HOWEVER, my friends and I (ages 23-25) were fully half the age of most of the other visitors. We drove in from Dublin on Friday night to a totally quiet, sound asleep hostel at 11 pm. It is just 'around the corner' from a pub, but the corner is a sizable distance down a long, unlit driveway. Would not be safe at night without a flashlight. Rooms are big with nice views so far as I could tell, but €17 for a bed in a 12-bed dorm with no breakfast is no bargain.
This hostel would be a nice place for families or older folks, but it is definitely not the best place to spend a weekend away with friends. Also, we had a car and I would not even think of staying here without one (unless I was cycling or planning on exclusively using the hostel's tour buses)--public transport to town is a joke with just a few buses to town a day. All in all, not a bad place but any potential visitors should know what to expect.

• Stayed June 2005