“Nothing but praise for this hotel!”

Killarney Plaza Hotel and Spa
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one night on our tour around Kerry. What a fantastic beginning to our trip! We got a package with a bottle of champagne and homemade chocolates on arrival, and a meal in the Grand Pey restaurant, with breakfast the following morning. The check in was VERY efficient, the room was lovely, and the molton brown gels in the bathroom were fantastic! Hotel is very clean, and the staff are really lovely to deal with, very accommodating. The lifts to the hotel are still broken (as per previous reviews), but they are very accommodating and will help with your bags etc., so please don't be put off by this! It is one of those hotels where you are made feel like No.1 all the time, rather than just another guest. We also used the leisure centre, the pool, sauna/steam room and jacuzzi are a hidden delight, I did not expect it to look as it did, they obviously take pride in taking care of this area. The food in Grand Pey for dinner was exceptional, even though it was included in our deal, it would have been very reasonably priced anyway. Plenty of everything, I couldn't finish my main or dessert because I was so full. Plenty choice for breakfast too. We decided to get a back massage the next morning before we headed on our journey, the spa is exceptional, the staff are very accommodating, really, a top class spa. Also, it is right in the centre of town, so you don't need your car to get around the town centre. I have stayed in many hotels around the world, but this is a hidden gem here in Ireland, well done for making our stay so enjoyable, I truly didn't expect such good value.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Anne M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,360)

Reviewed 4 May 2012

Loved this hotel best of my whole tour of Ireland!. Beautiful stairway from lobby with stunning stained glass at landing. Dining area was lovely with delicious food & good service.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank tripgrammy
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Myself and my husband spent a weekend recently. We did the 2 nights b&b and 1 evening meal deal. The food was excellent especially the evening meal. The quality wasevident classt and service very good. Our breakfast too was lovely plenty of everything,and the staff were lovely. As soon as guests were finished the tables were cleared so there were no delays seating others. Our bedroom was spacious and the decor was lovely. There s a beautifull pool and a jacuzzi plus a gym in case you overindulge.! All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return and also recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Maria S
PlazaManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Killarney Plaza Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Maria,

Thank you for your recent review we appreciate all feedback and this will be passed on to the team here at the hotel. We were all delighted to hear both you and your husband enjoyed your recent stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Killarney plaza in the near future.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

We had dinner at the Plaza Hotel as was passing through Killarney after doing the whole Ring of Kerry. I had a steak, which was beautiful, was very disappointed when the waitress never brought my horseradish. Even worse was when I was still eating my meal, a waiter came to clear my friends plates as they have finished their meal!! I was horrified! Never have I seen any waiter not know the basics of hospitality!! He even offered them the dessert menu when I was chewing my steak!!! I was beyond fuming!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank N_L56

Dear NL56,

Thank you for your recent review we appreciate all feedback and this will be passed on to the relevant department and used to further improve the service we provide. I must apologies that the service was not at our normally high standard, excellent food should be complimented by seamless service. Every effort will be made to ensure this does not happen again.
We hope you will visit the Killarney Plaza in the near future and see the improvements in action.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Just had the Thai prawns & saffron rice with chorizo,absolutely beautiful !
Such a fantastic restaurant , can't wait to return!! 5*

• Stayed: May 2011

Dear Dgosul,

The team were elated to receive your recent review, positive feedback helps us ensure we meet our standards and also guest expectations.
We look forward to your next visit, which we hope will be in the not so distant future.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Best spa experience so far, very professional staff in the spa and will most definitely return .it was a treat !

• Stayed: April 2012
PlazaManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Killarney Plaza Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Dear Reviewer,

The Spa team was delighted upon hear of your positive review and that you so thoroughly enjoyed your time in the spa. We use feedback to both maintain standards and motivate the team here in the hotel and we appreciate you taking the time to review our facilities.
We look forward to seeing you again soon in the near future.

yours sincerely

Douglas Niland

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed here in Oct 2011. No wow factor to the hotel but did have positives. Located in the centre of the town so you could walk to pubs/ restaurants unlike some of the nicer hotels in Killarney where a taxi is required. Another positive was the food. We ate in the restaurant (the duck was lovely) and the bar and both were to a very good standard ( the bar food is extremely good value vs. the numerous average restaurants that trap tourists in Killarney) . The breakfast was also good. The pool/ gym is only ok at best, actually the pool facilities were poor! We did spa treatments and this was nice but the facility was not that impressive.
I have graded sleep quality as poor due to an issue with the firm alarm in the rooms. They are located above the built in iron and we were awoken twice one morning (at 5.30am & 6.30am) as guest who were attending a conference in the hotel got up to iron their clothes and the steam coming out of the iron set off the alarm!! This is poor layout of the alarm or the iron and management need to look at this. When I mentioned this to reception (and there was numerous people doing the same) the response I got was to blame the guest in the room who was up that early ironing as opposed to acknowledging the poor layout!!!
If I was going back to Killarney for a long weekend I would stay here again if I got a good deal primarily due to location but if it was a special weekend I would recommend a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple