“amazing yet again”

The Brehon
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Just back from my 4th stay at the Brehon. Yet again a lovely stay. Fab spotless rooms. Staff you should be proud of. Excellent food and a lovely atmosphere. Just 1 disappointment - we booked for 2 nights but wanted to stay an extra night but booked out!!! We will be back. THANK YOU

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,387)

Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed in the Brehon for one night (only!!) before I headed off on the Ring of Kerry cycling! Such great service, friendliness & helpfulness. The room was huge, bed super comfortable...and as for the spa facilities - Oh My!! Many thanks to Ciaran for all his help & support ..and for having the red carpet out on my return/ arrival!! (That was for me, right?). We will be back!

Reviewed 2 August 2011

I stayed at the Brehon for a relative's wedding.
To be honest, it wasn't AMAZING.
The rooms were kind of cramped,
The TV didn't have any good stations and the beds were uncomfortable.
It had a nice little hall for dancing and eating.
It was big.
It was fine for a night's stay, like.
But it wasn't somewhere you'd go on a holiday.
It was.. Alright, I guess..
But just average. That's all..
I'd recommend it if you were visiting a friend in Killarney,
But there's nothing to see near it..

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank strawberryhufflepuff
SeanKillarney, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. I am slightly puzzled by your review, as the hotel rooms at The Brehon are among the largest in Killarney and certainly much larger than your average hotel room. Our TV's have 16 TV stations, 4 Radio channels, 150 music albums and 30 of the latest movies available.

Regarding there being nothing to see near it - The Brehon is adjacent to Killarney National Park, which boasts the lakes of Killarney with boat trips, Muckross House, Ross Castle, Torc Waterfall, Ladies View & Muckross Farms. The Brehon is 5 minutes from KIllarney Town centre, which offers a host of activities for al ages. The Brehon is also 1 minute from the INEC Music Venue, which host numerous concerts and shows throughout the summer. There are few destinations out there with more to do in terms of activities, then Killarney. Our Guest Relations Team are on hand each day to assist our guests book tours and to recommend activities.

I respect the views of all reviewers on tripadvisor, but do feel your review gives neither a fair reflection of The Brehon or of Killarney as a destination.

Kind Regards,

Sean O'Driscoll

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Having received a voucher to stay one night at the Brehon Hotel, we planned our trip to Killarney around this. I rang a number of days in advance and asked the receptionist if there were many rooms available for our either of our requested nights. She said she had plenty of rooms for both evenings so I proceeded to tell her that we had a complimentary voucher and would it be ok to use this. She said she would have to get back to me the next morning as she was not sure. She didn't see it as a problem as there was room availability.

The next afternoon I received a call back and was informed that I could not use this voucher. When questioned, they confirmed they did have rooms available but they were unwilling to give a complimentary one away. So I told the person that obviously we were going to be pushed aside in favour of "paying" customers and she talked her way around it. Again when I asked why the voucher was unusable despite rooms being available, she could not answer. I then obviously expressed my dismay at this and said that if this was the service available I would rather not stay there. The response I got was: "well that's your problem".

Ironically, we passed the hotel on more than one occasion to find a sign outside saying "special B&B rates available for tonight"!!! So those rooms were available.... Also, had we received a better response from the hotel supervisor, we were going to spend an additional 3 nights there with family but we decided to stay at another, more welcoming hotel in Killarney. It looks good, it's in a nice place, but I shall never bring my custom to them ever. Then again, they'll probably say "well that's my problem!!"

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank podge76
SeanKillarney, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Dear Reviewer,

The Brehon is a generous supporter of charities and gives out over 60 complimentary vouchers a year to charitable causes for raffles. We also give many more vouchers away for competition prizes. I believe your voucher was won as part of a audience prize on a TV show. We generously gave out 200 complimentary B&B vouchers to this show. The voucher clearly states that the voucher "may exclude some peak dates". We have put very few restrictions on these complimentary vouchers. However we did have a large conference on during the dates you wished to stay and therefore were unable to accept the complimentary vouchers over these dates. However there were hundreds of other dates, where we would have gladly accommodated your booking.

I also wish to point out that our sign on the road reads "Special B&B rates available". It does not have the word "tonight" on the sign and I assure you the hotel was fully occupied during the conference. I regret that our generosity in giving out complimentary vouchers has led you to give us a "1 star" review, having never stayed in the hotel. I feel this is an unfair reflection of the service we provide at The Brehon.

Kind Regards,

Sean O'Driscoll

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed here for two nights for a wedding. Service was excellent. Complimentary use of the vitality suite. Staff very friendly and efficient. Lots of choice at breakfast. Bar food was very good. Restaurant food wasn't as good.

Room Tip: Some of the first floor is over the bar area so if you want a quieter room ask for the higher floors...
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My college roommate and her husband and my husband and I were recently on a CIE Tour that took all over Ireland. Absolutely one of our favorite places was Killarney and the Brehon Hotel was wonderful--very beautiful, clean, friendly employees, great food, fun bar--A Spa that we did not have time to visit. If we get to return to Ireland in the future, this will definitely be the place we will stay. The hotel is decorated beautifully!!!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We stayed at the Brehon for the last two days and throughly enjoyed our stay. Our room was huge, twice the size of a normal hotel room. The team at the reception were lovely and always really helpful.
I didnt have time to check out the Spa but I will definitely be back