“Cold and slow”

GreenLeadersGold level
Kerry
“Cold and slow”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We came here for lunch my wife ordered soup while I had a toasted ham sandwich. We waited a good 20 minutes my wife got her soup but my toasted sandwich was stone cold I asked for a hot one I said to the waiter, by now my wife had finished her meal and I had yet to see mine. At this stage we getting caught for time as we were attending a concert next door so I was leaving with no sign of my sandwich. We said it to the management of the restaurant he was apologetic and offered us a complimentary meal. We came back after the concert we ordered our dinner again waiting a good 40 minutes this time when my wife got her dinner it was cold mine was just luke warm my wife had her meal changed. The whole experience was a disaster. The Brehon might look good on the outside but the food is poor inside. We said it we would never set foot in here again!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TobyKerry
TheBrehonTeam, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear TobyKerry,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent trip to The Brehon. I want to sincerely apologise for the level of service you received and your over all dining experience. I was made aware of the situation by our Bar Manager following you visit. The Bar experienced a surge of visitors prior to and after the Show in the INEC and while we should have been in a position to manage the situation properly, it did put extra pressure on the kitchen and waiting staff. Following your comments and the events of that day we are looking at our service procedure in the bar and implement changes to ensure the level of service you experienced will not be repeated. I would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you and can be contacted on 064 6630700 or by e-mail brianb@thebrehon.com.

Brian Bowler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Polish first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We spent just one night, but were made to feel so welcome by the smiling helpful staff from Reception - Sebastian, to Mary and the the friendly Bar Staff where we watch in comfort the rugby match - Ireland beating Scotland and afterwards had a lovely meal. Our room was very comfortable and cosy. We will be back again definitely and will send 2/3 days at least and have time to visit the Span and Pool which we missed out on this time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear Rosemary,
Thank you for writing your review and for your lovely comments. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you back again soon. Make sure you make time to visit our wonderful Spa the next time you are with us, it really is worth a visit.
Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stunning hotel - love everything about this hotel and thanks so much to Heather Chandler and her collegues for all of their help while we planned our wedding from Canada. Everything was perfect for our day..

• Stayed December 2013
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Brilliant2014,
Congratulations again on your Wedding, It was a pleasure for Heather to look after you and your guests on your special day. It is great to hear your feedback and we are all delighted your big day went so well for you. We look forward to seeing you back in The Brehon again soon.
Hastings
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is a very clean and modern hotel. We had been on the road for about a week before spending one night here. It really was nice to land somewhere that was so accessible and had all the amenities we wanted to recoup for the last 1/2 of our trip. Their pool is absolutely fabulous, the water jet massagers and ALMOST as wonderful as the spa treatment I had on site. The thing we were a little disappointed in was the price, quality and quantity of the food at the restaurant on site. Beautiful venue though! The entire hotel is very well kept, comfortable, clean and quiet.

Room Tip: we had a corner room that had windows on two sides- great view. ask for room on a high floor in the...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Michelle,
Thank you for your wonderful review. It is great to hear your feedback and we are delighted your enjoyed your stay at The Brehon.
Thank you in particular for your lovely comments on our wonderful Angsana Spa.
I am sorry to hear you were a little dissapointed in our restaurant and I have passed your comments to our head Chef.
I do hope you will be back to see us again soon.
Cashel
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about the Brehon! From the moment you arrive, you are treated so well. The room was amazing. The weather was so bad outside, it was just lovely to sit inside with my book and hot port! Not to mention to pool and spa! Wow!! As well as delicious food!! You just can't go wrong with booking into the Brehon! I'm really looking forward to my return visit!!

Stayed January 2014
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Maggie,
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are all delighted that you had such a good stay with us and to be described as 'A little taste of Heaven' really is great to hear.
We do hope you will be back to visit us soon and we look forward to seeing you.
Bath, Maine
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This place is shocking really, in that they've put a good deal into making it beautiful and very well appointed but the service is terrible! The front desk staff is good, as is the housekeeping staff. However, the majority of the restaurant and pub staff don't know what service is, much less, good service. Went with my daughter and 5 cousins from Kildare and we all felt the same way.

I'm trying to find a way to put this in a way that doesn't make me feel like I'm bashing an entire group of people and the only way I can find to say it, is that the hotel management should either completely review/retrain their foreign staff, or get rid of them and fill in the blanks with locals.

The restaurant waiter was relentless in trying to get us to buy more drinks/wine (we're not what anyone would call tea-tottlers, by the way) to the point of outright irritation. He then doubled up on the charges for the drink orders and with such a large dinner bill, had we not scrutinized it, we may not have caught the $150+ in overcharges.

The bartender in the pub one night, told us when we ordered a round at 10:00 that he was going to be closing up because it wasn't busy enough for him to stay and we should take our drinks to the lobby. We were guests at this hotel - 4 rooms - for three nights! Needless to say, he didn't make that work...

The icing on the cake was on morning two. I went into the breakfast room (restaurant) just as they were getting ready to close, to sit with my cousins who were finishing up their meal. The waitress told me I couldn't come in as they were going to close for the morning. I explained that I was only going to sit with my family and wasn't ordering. She told me I couldn't come in regardless. Unbelievable.

They could make this place fabulous if they staffed it properly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank MaineFreqntTraveler
TheBrehonTeam, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear MaineFreqntTraveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Brehon on Tripadvisor and I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay with us.
We really do have a great team of staff here in the Brehon and we are very proud of the mix of nationalities that we have working for us. It is a credit to the team that year after year they are consistently recognised on various levels for the great Irish welcome which they provide to our guests. Most recently our excellent and diverse team of staff attained the Irish Hotel & Catering Gold Medal Award for Best Customer Experience as well as numerous other awards recognising the consistently excellent standards of service and customer care which the team provides to our guests.
We take all of our guest’s feedback very seriously and always use it in a constructive way to ensure that we consistently deliver the standard of service that our customers expect and that we can be proud of. I am sorry that this was not the case on this occasion and I can assure you that we will address any issues which may have caused our service standards to be compromised during your stay. I have noted that your stay with us was last April, we have reviewed all of the feedback we received around that time but did not receive any feedback of this nature. In order for us to ensure that we fully understand the issues you encountered at that time I would encourage you to make contact with me so that I have the opportunity to discuss the issues with you in person and share the details with our team. Please feel free to contact me on brianb@thebrehon.com or on 064 – 6630700.
Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Brian.

Brian Bowler
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 26 January 2014

i found this hotel was perfect for a stag iwas on recently. the rooms were nice and clean and very homely. the staff were very accomodating and all their recommendations for the night were spot on. the stay was quite cheap compared with other hotels we looked in to and i felt the need to write and express the valu for money. a perfect spot to stay out of the town but close enough to access everything.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Henry J
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Henry,
Thank you for your review. It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay and felt at home here at The Brehon. Thank you too for your lovely comments on our staff.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.