“How is this not a 5*”

GreenLeadersGold level
Galway, Ireland
“How is this not a 5*”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel back in February and I have to say it was amazing from start to finish.
It was my boyfriends birthday and they made it so special for me and they were so helpful when I rang prior to the arrival to make arrangements for some surprises to be waiting in the room.

The staff there were outstanding, so helpful, so friendly and the atmosphere there was fabulous.

On our first day there we asked what was good to do in the area and in a matter of minutes we had a plan for the whole day, packed lunches and 2 lovely bikes.

Although the weather was not great it was one of the best stays in a hotel I have had in a long time.

I work in a 5 star resort and this is not a 4 star hotel, it is so much more.

The room was so spacious and just beautiful.

The food was fabulous, again 5 star! We ate in the restaurant and the bar and I couldnt fault it, and I am such a foodie.

I am a hotelier and can be very fussy but I do not have one bad thing to say about the hotel.

Special thanks to all of the staff at The Brehon and a special thanks to Cariosa on Reception, she was fantastic.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lily R
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Lily,

Thank you for your wonderful five star review. All the team here are delighted with your feedback and that you had such a good stay with us. Thank you for your lovely comments on our staff and service. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Brehon again soon.

Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Polish first
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 29 April 2014

we stayed here for our annivsary a few years ago and saw brendan grace in the inec
very nice hotel it was only for one night bed and breakfast
we had a really enjoyable stay and would definately return to this hotel

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michelle c
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Michelle,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you both enjoyed your stay and we do hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just back from a lovely 2 night stay... From the moment I checked in until the moment I checked out I thoroughly enjoyed it. The reception staff were really friendly and helpful. They spent time chatting to my 5 year old on check in and she was delighted with the attention. The room was lovely, clean and spacious with a lovely view. Breakfast each morning was very good with a variety of fresh fruit and pastries’ to choose from. We dined in the bar on one evening and the food and service was great. Dessert was excellent!!! I didn’t get the opportunity to avail of the leisure facilities but I do intend on returning so hopefully next time!! Would definitely recommend The Brehon to stay when in Killarney

2 Thank DBY176
Dear DBY176,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am delighted to see hear you had such a wonderful stay with us and thank you for sharing your experince with other tripadvisor users. Thankyou for your lovely comments on our staff, breakfast and bar food. You really should try the Angsana Spa the next time you are with us, it is not to be missed. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We are just home from a four night stay at the Brehon.My dad took sick on the first night and the manager could not do enough for us.He said if we needed anything during the night just ring reception.They sent up trays of tea and toast for him.Thankfully my dad felt much better the next day.We booked a bus tour from reception and the lady at reception,without me even asking reserved the front seats of the coach for us.This was great as my elderly father has limited mobility.The bar food was lovely and the service we received from the waiting staff was excellent.The Restaurant was beautiful and we had a very enjoyable meal.Our room was very spacious and well designed.This was one of the nicest and best hotel i ever stayed in.The staff were so friendly and nothing was too much to ask for.Ilook forward to returning again for another great stay at the Brehon.Thank you to all the staff and keep up all your great work.

Room Tip: On the first floor some of the rooms have big balconies which are great if the weather is good ,or i...
2 Thank Ruth H
TheBrehonTeam, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Ruth,

It was a pleasure to read your review, thank you from all of us here at The Brehon. We are delighted you and your Dad has such a good stay with us. I do hope he is feeling better.

We do hope you will both be back to visit us soon and we look forward to seeing you.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Had my bridal shower here recently and was not overly impressed. Was promised a luxury hamper that would be waiting in the room on arrival as part of the bridal shower package....never arrived and I had to ask for it when checking out! Luxury hamper was bit of an overstatement! Was also promised spa vouchers as we decided not to avail of the spa due to not having time on this visit.we were told we'd be given vouchers to use at another time.only for also asking for them on checking out I doubt we'd have received them either. No one in the hotel seemed to communicate with us about any of the arrangements we had made for the bridal shower party earlier in the week with the hotel reservation team. Not asking for a big fuss to be made over us but at the same time it'd have been professional and a nice touch if someone comminicated wit us and acknowledged we were actually there, given that there were 17 in the party. A Few of the other guests arrived for breakfast at 10am (breakfast last sitting was 10.30) and felt they were rushed through and one staff member was shouting orders across the room as if they couldnt clean up quickly enough whilst people were trying to finish breakfast! In fairness most people enjoyed the dinner the previous night (fish was lovely but steak dish was poor) however my fiancé had rang the hotel earlier and requested and paid for a bottle of champagne to be sent to our table at dinner. Apparently it arrived with the bottles we ordered but the party and I were never told about this gesture and never knew the champagne we drank was from my fiancé. ..surprise ruined! I realise these are not major issues but they're very simple things to get right so they should not have to become an issue in the first place!! It's a shame for such a beautiful hotel the service leaves a lot to be desired at times. Disappointing! Good service is something thats so important and so easy to get right- but based on this visit I certainly wont be in a rush to return!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joey20121
Dear Joey,

Firstly I want to thank you for taking my call and for giving me the feedback on your recent stay at The Brehon. This is certainly not the norm here at the hotel and I am glad you brought it to my attention. I have shared your comments with all our team and we have taken steps to ensure your experience is not repeated. We have a lot of Bridal Showers stay with us here in The Brehon and generally all comments we receive are very positive, again I am sorry that this was not your experience. Thank you again for your time and feedback.

Brian Bowler
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were lucky to have our wedding at the Brehon in April 2014 and cannot recommend it highly enough. From the moment we went for our first visit, we loved the warm, friendly welcome from every member of staff we met. Our wedding coordinator, Heather, was absolutely unflappable, nothing was too much trouble and you knew she had everything under control throughout. She showed great attention to detail, noting everything we wanted and ensuring it happened just as we had asked. During the day, she was always a step ahead so that we were totally relaxed knowing everything was organised.

As most of our guests were travelling to Killarney for the wedding, the majority were staying in the hotel. We had great feedback about the quality of the rooms, the food in the bar and restaurant and the helpful staff.

The food was outstanding - great choices for the menu, very well cooked, service excellent and fabulous quality, particularly for such a large group. We had a family gathering in the hotel the night after the wedding and again, the food was superb. We must mention that the attention to detail when looking after two guests who were coeliac. At every moment, they were carefully looked after with tasty, appropriate options available without any reminder.

We were so thrilled we chose the Brehon for our special day. Thank you!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Eadaoin K
Dear Eadaoin & Benjamin,

Congratulations again on your recent marriage. It was a pleasure for all of us and in particular Heather to look after you in the run up and on your special day. You feedback is really wonderful to read, thank you so much. I have passed your comments to all our staff and they are delighted with your review.
We do wish you the very best for your future together and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Brehon again soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and myself stayed in this marvellous hotel for 3nights . All I. An say is that from the minute we arrived to the much hated departure . The staff and atmosphere plus the food were really exceptional .If I had the power I would give this hotel 5stars . This is the best hotel I've stayed in in Ireland .

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deirdre C
Dear Deirdre,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear you and your husband had such a good stay with us. Your comments on our staff and food is really great to hear. Thank you also for the five star recommendation. We do hope you will be back to visit us again soon.