“A solid 4 star hotel”

The Brehon
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I spent 6 nights at The Brehon for a business trip to Killarney recently and while I had a very enjoyable stay, there were a couple of issues which prevented me from awarding it 5 stars.

The hotel is located about a kilometre outside the town of Killarney but on arrival, I struggled through the entrance with my various bags and pieces of luggage. There was no one there to assist me with the doors nor, was there an offer of assistance after I checked in. Check in itself was fine but there was not porter to be seen.

My room on the second floor was a good size which looked onto the pitch and putt course at the rear of the hotel and the beautiful rolling hills of Killarney beyond that. It was spotlessly clean with crisp white bed linen and the bed itself was extremely comfortable. There was a writing bureau and complimentary bottled water each morning. The wifi connection was excellent. The room also had an iron, ironing board, trouser press, safe and tea and coffee. Unfortunately, the storage space was useless for hanging shirts or suits. Even though it had two rails, neither was sufficiently high enough for the clothes to hang freely.

The bathroom was oversized with a bath/shower combo. It again was spotless but beside the sink were two small shelves and my toilet bag alone took up one of these. If there was more than one person staying in the room, space would certainly be a problem.

Breakfast however was fantastic. The staff in the breakfast room were polite and attentive and everytime I went to take an item from the hot buffet, it was plentiful, fresh and tasty. I've never seen a buffet like it! There was also a good selection of juices, cold meats, fruit, cereal and pastries. Make sure your package includes breakfast. If fact the food in general in the hotel is excellent.

On the one occasion I went to use the pool, I was advised by the lady in the spa that I would need to book it as it was quite small but could use the pool across in the Gleneagle hotel at any time. Needless to say I was a bit miffed and would have liked to relax in a pool at a time that suited me rather than have to book a time and then hope I can make it. So I never got to use the spa facilities and just had a bath in my room instead.

The one other thing that I must mention is that one night in the bar, when I went to order another drink, without any warning, the barman informed me the bar was closed (about 11pm and with several patrons drinking) but he did say he could serve me a drink in the lobby. I don't particularly enjoy drinking in the lobby of a hotel, regardless of how nice it is, so off to bed I went.

All in all, the hotel is very impressive, very well maintained, in a beautiful part of Ireland and I did enjoy my stay despite the couple of issues mentioned. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Rjoc,
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at The Brehon. Thank you in particular for your wonderful feedback on our breakfast and our staff, the team were delighted to hear your comments. I am sorry to hear you were not met by one of our Front of House Porters when you arrived and offered luggage assistance when you checked in which is our policy here at the hotel. The room you were allocated can be adapted to accommodate our wheelchair guests and incorporates rails which are lower for our guests to use. I have noted you comments regarding the storage in these bathrooms and our Housekeeping Manager is looking into alternative shelving to make our guests stay more enjoyable.
We do hope to see you back in The Brehon again soon.
The Brehon

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed over the weekend and the hotel was busy a great buzz around. The hotel is spotlessly clean, attentive staff, spa facilities are fantastic. Food in all areas bar, breakfast and evening meal were great. Rooms spacious and clean. staff in bar in particular stand out for great service Claire and Patrick. Would be happy to stay in hotel all weekend and not leave!! Would recommend and definitely return thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
TheBrehonTeam, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your lovely review. It is great to hear your enjoyed your stay with us at The Brehon. I passed your comments to Claire and Patrick who were delighted, thank you.

We look forward to seeing you back in The Brehon again soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Could not fault this hotel on any count at all. We had an amazing weekend for the christening and they were a dream to work with in the weeks coming up to it - organizing the food, decorations, dj and the rooms for each family member.
On the day everything went off without hitch and the management were so on the ball, attentive and responsive to every requirement we asked of them.
Can not recommend this place more. Didn't get a chance to use the spa so i will definitely be returning for that but others on the trip made use of it and loved it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear David,

Congratulations again on baby Amelia's Christening. It was a pleasure for Heather to look after you. Thank you so much for your lovely review all the team here are delighted with your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

My friends and I stayed at Brehon for my hen party and we were all so impressed with how well we were looked after. The hotel itself is very nice but the staff are what made the visit most memorable, in particular Patrick Kelly, Blathin, Claire and Martin and Mary deserve a special mention.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Karen,

All the team at The Brehon are delighted to hear your enjoyed your celebrations. Thank you in particular for your lovely feedback on Patrick, Blathin, Claire, Martin and Mary. We do hope to see you back in The Brehon again soon and we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I visited the brehon for the 5th time in March with my husband & 3 (wild) kids! I love everything about this hotel, spacious room, excellent food & great location. We love Killarney but it's the staff at the brehon that makes us return every year. Reception/bar/restaurant are all equally friendly & go out of their way to help in anyway. The icing on the cake is the babysitting service the hotel offers. We get a lovely girl every year Norma, she brings games/DVDs to entertain our boys, they look forward to holidays to see Norma. We would bring her home with us if we could!! It makes our holiday too to be able to get alone time as a couple too. It's a win win!! Looking forward to our trip again this summer!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Annieanni

Dear Annie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other TripAdvisor users. All the team here are delighted to hear you and your family had such a good stay with us again. We look forward to seeing you back again in the Summer.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I would really recommend this hotel. The staff are lovely. The hotel room we stayed in was spectacular. I was very sad to be checking out. The overall atmosphere in the hotel is lovely even if you are just reading the paper in the foyer. We ate in the resteraunt one night and it was a very enjoyable meal. The location is also great on muckross road it isn't far from my favourite place in Kilarney Torc waterfall. Overall a fantastic trip away.

Room Tip: Our room was on the fourth floor which was lovely because we had a balcony.