“Wonderful Hotel with Excellent Staff”
Review of The Brehon

The Brehon
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 October 2009

I recently stayed at the Brehon hotel to attend a Wedding and cannot praise the hotel enough.

From the moment I rang the hotel to the moment I checked out I was greeted friendly, cheerful and helpful staff.

Our room was lovely, large, bright and spacious. I great that the windows open widely in the room as I do not like a hot room and hate when the window only open an inch.

The bathrooms were large with both a bath and walk-in shower. A large range of shower gels and bath oils were provided along with bottles of water. The empty fridge in the room was great. You had the option of getting a mini bar to the best of my knowledge.

The Wedding meal was great, with excellent service in a beautifully decorated room. The candles leading into the room was also a lovely touch.

The bar was nice and spacious with Music both nights that I stayed , however this music was not very loud . There was a good selection of drinks.

The reception area was comfortable and it was very relaxing to seat and read the papers that were provide free at Reception.

We had an excellent meal in the restaurant the next day and was served by the very friendly and helpful Carmel. There was a broad menu with a nice twist on dishes.

The Spa is a really treat and I would recommend Mod as a therapist. The relaxation room is wonderful and the treatments themselves are amazing. The fruit platter and herbal tea after your treatment is a nice touch. The changing rooms are nice and spotlessly clean.

The only thing I would suggest is if you are a light sleeper ask for a room away from the function room as I know some people mentioned they could hear the music from the Wedding.

All in all I had a wonderful stay in the Brehon and am looking forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank purpleiris26
SeanKillarney, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2009

Thank you for posting a review regarding your stay at The Brehon. We have recently launched our new breakfast menu, so I am delighted to read you enjoyed it. Thank you also for your comments regarding the Spa & Restaurant Dinner - Feedback such as this means so much to our Team here.

Many Thank again,

Sean O'Driscoll

Write a ReviewReviews (2,327)

Reviewed 25 September 2009

I am shocked to read the last review & would like to share with you the complete opposite - The Brehon is Fantastic - I am a very critical accommodation reviewer - I deal with hotels, accommodation around ireland frequently - The Brehon is simply the best in Killarney. Killarney boasts such a volume of accommodation options and yes many are very very good - but from the minute you walk into the brehon hotel you will feel and see what I mean - superiorly appointed, the greatest service provided, you are the guest and you will feel it. The rooms are all gorgeous, the spa is in my opinion the best, the thai ladies working there are simply angels and you will experience the greatest treatments - I was so surprised at the treatments I no longer went to my regular spa in cork! completely real and different and professional treatments - serenity. The aim of the staff at the brehon, from Mgt to the Porters is your comfort, relaxation, enjoyment - you will feel like the special guest and the customer is always right, even though you won't need to check that one out! your stay in killarney will always be an enjoyable, fun, interesting time but top it to your best trip by adding your stay to be at the brehon - and no, I dont have shares in the place :-) Enjoy - I cannnot wait to get back there again.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JP1974
Reviewed 23 September 2009

Just arrived back from a two night stay .Sometimes when I read reviews on Hotels I wonder if we have stayed at the same place! Our bedroom was far from spotless. The shower head in the bath leaked very badly ...Each time I filled the bath the water was BROWN. The paintwork was shabby and carpets through out the hotel very badly stained.The Hotel is filled with Fake flowers and the lift on the third level looks like its come away from the wall. Not very reassuring for people who are afraid of using lifts.! As we were blessed with fine weather we were more than dismayed that we could not have bar food outdoors. There really are no outdoor facilities there at all. Smokers beware if you want to have a cigarette with your pre or post dinner cocktail you have to wind your way to a miserable dungeon at the base of the hotel!
On the plus side the staff throughout the hotel are faultless. The breakfast was pleasant.Dinner in the restaurant was really good and bar food well presented and served byw pleasant & obliging staff.
The spa was excellent and staff there friendly and efficient. Treatments are quite expensive. Pool and leisure facilities were spotless .

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank miggi
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Had a great break in this beautiful hotel. Lovely for a treat to escape from reality.....rooms are spacious, staff helpful , food delicious and spa worth visiting.
Check out their website as there are some good offers available.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2009

Had an enjoyable stay in this hotel which I picked based on TA ratings and feedback.

Following my stay, here are my thoughts on the Brehon:

POSITIVES:
1. Great staff, very friendly and attentive;

2. Great breakfast: very good hot and cold buffet and a great selection of tasty breakfast options cooked to order for example, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, pancakes, poached eggs, fried plaice etc.;

3. Hotel is modern, impressive and is kept well, bedrooms are large and comfortable;

4. Restaurant food is very good, got a room rate that included a free meal for stay - try and get this option if can direct from hotel as is good value when included in overall cost of stay. Otherwise, starters are c.€10, Mains c.€25 and desert c.€8.

NEGATIVES AND SUGGESTED SOLUTIONS:
1. Our first room was very noisy as it was directly over the function room (wedding band, dj playing early into the morning). If not a guest attending the function, I would advise asking for room away from the function room (or on a higher floor where it may not be as noisy - we were on the 2nd floor) . Our second room (on the same floor) was very quiet as was on the otherside of hotel away from the function room and we slept no problem the following night with another wedding function on that night.

2. This hotel is beside the INEC (large concert venue). During our stay, there was two sold out concerts on over the weekend. The concerts result in the hotel carpark as well as the INEC car parks being full from around 8pm. Therefore after our day out and about exploring Killarney and visiting friends, we returned to the hotel to find the carpark full and were therefore directed to park beyond the holiday cottages which are behind the hotel by the car park attendents on duty for the concert; therefore we had an about 4 minute walk back to the front of the hotel which was not much fun in the heavy rain carrying a sleeping baby! Therefore if there is a concert on and bad weather, get back to the hotel early if have a car and want to be parked near the hotel. It maybe an idea for the Brehon to consider that the hotel carpark is reserved for hotel guests only, but I dont think this would be possible as the hotel carpark is very open with three entrances.

OTHER POINTS:
Other TA reviewers have noted that this hotel is c.15 minute walk into town. This is correct but is also true of alot of hotels in Killarney (some are even further out especially some of the other 4 star/5 star hotels) so I wouldn't be put off by its location and I would recommend it as a location for your stay in Killarney. It is not a bad walk into town (on main road) and the hotel is closer to the National Park as a result and there is a nice walk up to the Park from the hotel.

CONCLUSION
Overall, I would recommened the Brehon for a stay in Killarney and would agree with the positive ratings given by other TA reviewers. The hotel is modern, impressive and the friendly staff made our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We stayed for 3 nights at The Brehon which proved to be a wonderful hotel. So many advantages to mention: VERY effiicient and helpful staff, really great rooms, quiet location with a great view from the front rooms, an excellent breakfast (rich and tasty), excellent cleanliness, huge free car park. A hotel that is an absolute joy to stay.
The only disadvantage is its non-central location (about 15 min walk from downtown), but if you have your own car this is not a real problem since there are many parkings in Killarney center.
Just don't miss it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2009

We had our second stay in the beautiful Brehon Hotel in August and I just cannot say enough about this hotel, every aspect of it is perfect. Fantastic staff, bedrooms, spa, bar food, restaurant, breakfast. I just cannot wait to return again and again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple