“nice Hotel overall”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dublin Ireland
“nice Hotel overall”
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Stayed in Brehon for two nights Thur and Fri 19th March. It is a nice Hotel. Thur was very quiet in the evening but the Friday was lively with a good atmosphere. I thought that maybe there should have been some sort of entertainment in Hotel on the Friday night but there wasnt. The room was large and spacious. Bathroom was nice a big also with lovely heated floor tiles which was a nice touch. Spotlight outside bathroom kept flickering on and off. No mini-bar!!(you have to request it to be stocked). No tea/coffee making facilities in room which was a big minus. Also maybe the Tv could be modernised in the room. The corridors are dull and dreary/dark and do need brightening up! The positives: beautiful restaurant food. Nice buffet breakfast, staff helpful and friendly, and excellent Spa facilities. Overall a nice hotel which ticks almost all the boxes.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
SeanKillarney, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 24 March 2010
Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. I am glad to read you enjoyed the Restaurant Food & Spa Facilities and found our staff to be helpful.

In compliance with our Green ethos, we did change our lighting to all energy efficient bulbs, but unfortunately this has had an effect on the bedroom corridors. Following your feedback we are installing stronger lighting and repainting our corridors a lighter colour.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your opinion.

Sean O'Driscoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 14 March 2010

Just back from a weekend break in this hotel , been to killarney many times but this was the first time staying there. Booked the Brehon because it's beside the INEC and we were there for a show. The hotel is spotless and the staff were very nice and helpful. Food was great and very good price for a four* Hotel . The only bad thing i would say about this hotel were the pillows! they were flat and hard, but this would'nt stop me from staying again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
SeanKillarney, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 15 March 2010
Galway
Reviewed 11 March 2010

Have just returned from a wonderful 2 night stay in the Brehon and wish I could have stayed longer! Got a fantastic rate for mid-week break. The Room was lovely and a huge bathroom with a little hallway in between to separate bathroom from sleeping area which was really good idea. The staff of this hotel were the nicest, friendliest and genuine I have met at any hotel I have ever stayed in. Check-in was very quick and efficient. Was dealt with by staff member very courteously. We had the midweek offer of dinner in the hotel the first night. It was just 60 euro for 2 people - 3 courses and tea/coffee. The food was superb. Good choice on menu and of course an even bigger selection on the a la carte but the dinner menu was more than adequate for us. The food portions were extremely generous and very well presented. The waiter was so nice and really friendly who recommend a particular wine and he was spot on with his recommendation. The Spa was absolutely fabolous and just what was needed after a day's shopping and sightseeing! Even my husband who doesn't usually "do" spas was very impressed. Although the pool was a little cold for my liking! But that's just me! I couldn't praise this hotel highly enough and in particular all the staff that we came into contact with. Any request we had was met efficiently. I will definately be looking forward to going back again and will absolutely recommend to all my family and friends. Well done!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
SeanKillarney, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 13 March 2010
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read your feedback on our Team here at The Brehon. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I chose this hotel off the recommendation of other Tripadvisor users - and I was little disappointed. The lobby is very nice, almost stunning and has been decorated very tastefully, but beyond the public area's the hotel feels a little tired. The bedroom corridors are very dark - depressingly so.
Breakfast was not great - no mushroom, scrambled egg, hash browns etc...
Service was fine, with the exception of the check out, whoever was finalising my bill took two phone calls during the transaction and while I have no issue with this, she did proceed to have a personal conversation during one of them, and in turn delaying me which I really did not think was appropriate. I understand telephone need to be answered, particularly in a hotel as there could be a guest in distress but to conduct a personal conversation whilst ignoring the guest in front of you in incredibly rude. Would I stay there again? Probably not, I would be more inclined to try another hotel in the area.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are currently undergoing a painting programme throughout the hotel and therefore apprciate your feedback regarding our corridors has come at a good time.

I also appreciate letting me know your comments regarding breakfast. Scrambled eggs and mushrooms are a standard part of our breakfast buffet and I sincerely apologise that they were not on the buffet during your stay. We also have a Full A La Carte Breakfast Menu, where guests can order a large selection of items directly from the Kitchen.

I also wish to apologise to you regarding the Receptionist on check-out. This is certainly not The Brehon standard and I assure you I will be addressing this matter.

I thank you for your feedback and assure you that we are committed to maintaining high standards here at The Brehon.

Kind Regards,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 March 2010

We got a good deal on the Brehon on-line and really enjoyed the stay.
The accommodation was top notch! with large bedroom, and en-suite with bath & shower. Our package included breakfast which had a nice selection each morning. There were also good deals on in the hotel restaurant.
The vitality suit was the highlight of our stay at this hotel! The ‘pool’, sauna, steam room & tropical shower are great, especially to aid recovery after a night out... The rates for massage treatments is reasonable enough, and well worth it!
The Brehon is about 5-10 minute walk from the main town area, but the staff were more than helpful when approached about organising a taxi at and suggesting places to head to for some nightlife. There is a cycle rental a few minutes walk from the hotel and provided the weather is good, its a great way to get around Killarney.
I would return here again!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
SeanKillarney, General Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 4 March 2010
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed using our complimentary Vitality Suite. It is a great facility to help our guests relax.

I hope to welcome you back to The Brehon again shortly.

Greyhound12
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I stayed in the Brehon in Jan 2010 with my husband. As always the service and staff was of a very high standard and they couldnt do enough for us or help us during our stay. Its not my first stay in the hotel and it's nice to be recogised and acknowledged by Staff every time we visit Killarney. Food was very good and the Spa is just a blissful place to spend a few hours away from our usual hustle and bustle of city life. The hotel is a haven and a great place to chill and relax and enjoy a weekend break without having to move outside of it's doors. I can't thank the Brehon enough for once again making our stay a very enjoyable once and Im already planning my next break in kerry, Killarney and the Brehon!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
It is always a pleasure to welcome back our loyal repeat guests. Our primary aim is to ensure our guests have a relaxing stay that leave's them revitalised. I am delighted to hear this was your experience.

Thank you for choosing The Brehon.

Cork
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Stayed in the Brehon for a weekend away with my partner in January.We were very impressed.Checkin couldn't have been simpler.The staff in all areas were exceptional & couldn't do enough for us.We liked the idea of comment cards which were located in every area of the hotel.it really shows that management have their "finger on the pulse".
The Spa was excellant & although we only sampled breakfast in bed,it was tasty & delivered to us at the appointed time efficently.
We basically have only one minor gripe about the hotel it being some of the corridors & especially inside the lifts just need to touched up with paint.Otherwise the Brehon was excellant

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for writing to tell us about the good service you recieved. Your feedback motivates our team here to strive for excellence.

Also thank you for pointing out that some of the corridors need painting. I assure you we are keeping our painters busy all winter with an ongoing painting program throughout the entire hotel.

Thankyou for your support of The Brehon.