“It felt like 5 star, such a luxurious stay we had!”
Review of The Brehon

The Brehon
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
GreenLeadersGold level
Dublin
“It felt like 5 star, such a luxurious stay we had!”
Reviewed 8 September 2010

The aim of our visit in Killarney was relax and time spend in SPA. Front Office staff professional, welcoming. Lobby extremally big and so many modern looking couches to relax. Bedroom R101 located overlooking at the front of the hotel and on a side as well but with beautiful KErry Mountains View too. Room coudnt be better, very specious, new, clean bathroom, the most modern walk in wardrobe inbetween bedroom and bathroom was a nice surprise. LCD tv, mineral water in the room, no tea/coffee facilities, but that didnt matter taht much. Free internet, a bit slow, but still. Loved pancakes and waffles and breakfast, Restaurant very well looking, modern, clean, staff knew exactly what they were doing. Dinner we had , starters, mains and especially desserts were presented extremally superb, tasty as well. Go for Banofee Pie and u will feel like in heaven:) SPA- luved jaccuzzi, swimming pool and steam room, my bf luved the treatment , but I completely didnt like it, felt no spa atmosphere, manager didnt expalin at all what the treatment will be, as they always do so the guest know step by step. Therapists were for me fake friendly and it was painfull to have massage, no pleasure at all. There was no air in the room and thought I would choke when she covered my whole body including face. My bf liked it thogh, and we had the same treatment in the same room. Wouldnt use spa treatments, just the vitality room. Mixed up with the bill at the check out, but very easily, professionally resolved by very friendly reception manager i think. Overall experience superb, excluding spa treatment i had.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
SeanKillarney, Manager at The Brehon, responded to this review, 11 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Brehon on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed the Accommodation & Food at The Brehon.

I regret that you did not enjoy your treatment. I think this is the first negative review we have ever had of a spa treatment on tripadvisor in the 6 years we've been open. I sincerely regret that the Spa receptionist did not take you through your treatment in detail. I will be addressing this with my Soa Manager. Also I regret that the therapist did not come across as friendly - the 10 Thai therapists we have are constantly praised by guests for their natural friendliness and gentle nature and I am constantly recieving letters from guests praising them asuch. The treatments in the Spa have consistantly recieved 99%-99.5% satisfaction from our guests. Therefore I regret that this was not your experience. I will send you on my contact details in a private message and should you wish to speak to me regarding your experience, I would appreciate any feedback you would give.

I thank you again for posting a review on Tripadvisor and hope to welcome you back to The Brehon in the future.

Sean O'Driscoll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed 6 September 2010

I have visited this hotel on a few occasions and I have been consistently impressed by it.

Located a few minutes from the center of Killarney the Brehon is an ideal base to explore the greater kerry region or, as I usually do, to simply enjoy the amazing Spa.

The staff are extremely helpful and will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.

Both the in house restaurant and bar are great options for the days you don't fancy heading into town while the breakfast is easily the best I have been offered in any hotel (including a number of 5 star hotels)...fillets of plaice for breakfast if you fancy it amongst an amazing buffet selection!!

However the highlight has to be the wonderful Angsana Spa. This Thai inspired Spa is an oasis of tranquility and time spent down using the facilities will leave you refreshed and truly relaxed.

Couldn't recommend this hotel and Spa highly enough...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Brehon on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for hightlighting the Team here at The Brehon. Your feedback provides great encouragement to them. I'm delighted you particularly enjoyed Breakfast & our Angsana Spa.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Ireland
Reviewed 5 September 2010

5 star service for 4 star prices.Probaly the best hotel in Kerry!!!!!!!!! And we have stayed in a lot of the them.:D

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Brehon on Tripadvisor.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Limerick
Reviewed 3 September 2010

My husband and I had our wedding in the brehon hotel in August 2010 and returned this August 2011, I must say both experiences were absolutely amazing. From the moment we stepped in to the brehon every step was fantastic, fabulous room, amazing food and brilliant breakfast. The staff were absolutely fantastic and even had an anniversary card and chocolates in our room, it is a top quality hotel, with top quality staff and management, especially Mary O Connell, who was amazing for both our wedding and our anniversary. The whole brehon experience I would recommened to everyone, it is an experience you will not forget. We will definitely be returning to the brehon hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Brehon on Tripadvisor.

I hope we have created lasting memories for you both at The Brehon. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Brehon for many more anniversaries to come.

Drogheda
Reviewed 3 September 2010

We stayed here from 29th Aug, until 1st September 2010.
Check in was fine and room was nice and clean. We had booked a special offer which was 2 nights with an evening meal in the Danu restaurant, so once we freshened up we headed to the Danu for our dinner. We had previously rang and booked a table for 9pm.
On arrival to restaurant all was fine and they had our booking but when we sat down we were given the wrong menu, this caused some embarrassment and could be resolved easily by checking our name with the hotel guest list. Then we were told by waitress that we were not entitled to a meal with our booking, more embarrassment in front of other customers. I told the waitress to check again and she returned and told us we were not entitled to a meal.
I then went to the reception and checked this out and was told that i was entitled to the meal.
The Hotel manager came into us and apologised for the inconvenience, and was very helpful but the evening was already off to a bad start. Then i ordered steak medium to well done but it came back pink and bloody, nobody came near us to ask how the meal was so we left, i didn't bother complaining about steak but mentioned it to one of the girls when leaving.
Ok. That's the only bad experience we had and it was all over the meal deal which we booked. After this everything was perfect. The breakfast was gorgeous, and there was plenty of different choices.
The Spa area was also very good and very clean and we enjoyed ourselves so much we stayed for an extra night.
So after a bad start it turned out to be a very enjoyable break, and i must say, even though we did have our problem with the meal the Hotel manager was great and dealt with the problem very satisfactorily.

1 Thank louth1
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Brehon on Tripadvisor.

Sincere apologies that you were not given the correct dinner menus and that yiour waitress was misinformed regarding your package details. I also regret that your main course satisfaction was not checked by the waitress concerened. I will be addressing these matters with my Restaurant Manager.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the rest of your break and in particular the Spa.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Had I been required to review the hotel after one night I am sure it would have been alot less kind. Upon arrival we made reservations for dinner in the Brehon's Danú Restaurant. The are set menus available for €25/€35. My girlfriend and I both chose the mushroom soup for starter, we were each asked whether we would like some bread to accompany this and we both asked for 2 slices of the homemade brown bread (which was delicious!). However the waitress (I remember her name!) placed one slice on each of our plates and rashly assured us that "the portions are huge and you do not need a second slice"....this angered me greatly.....after all we did not NEED to be staying in the Brehon and paying significantly more than say the travel lodge!
However this I must say was the only bad moment of our stay....the food was delicious, the rooms spacious and comfortable and we enjoyed the leisure center. I would happily stay here again and my only regret is not speaking to the manager about the member of staff in question

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Brehon on Tripadvisor.

I wish to sincerely apologise regarding the bread incident in the Restaurant. We certainly don't ration the bread portions. If you would like to address this issue with me, I will end you my contact details in a private message and you can contact me directly, should you wish to do so.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Totally loved this hotel. The staff could not have been any nicer to us! The Killarney National Park and the town itself are amazing - great scenery, great pubs, great local music and band, great shopping! Totally delighted in every way! Most comfortable bed with fluffy pillows!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Brehon on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for your praise of our team here at The Brehon. We are very fortunate to have a great team, who strive for excellence. We share all guest feedback with our team, so your comments are a great encouragement to them. I am also glad to read that you approve of our new luxury linens and duvets on our beds.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again shortly.